Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Trademark question - (Name a city)Realtor.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

nydomain

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just noticed a thread shut down in the Offers Wanted section b/c the domain SonomaRealtor.com apparently violates the trademark on REALTOR: http://www.realtor.org/letterlw.nsf/...rkLogoInternet.

My question is this: can you really trademark a term like realtor? I personally think this is complete bologna because it is an English word not some made up brandable term. That's like trademarking a word like refrigerator, gold, bench, sports, etc... Thoughts?

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Short answer...yes. It is trademarked. The Realtors association is trademarked and the word Realtor refers to their profession.

Unfortunately, that is the truth. I personally did not know it until I got a letter from the association. It has actually been a trademarked term since 1950 and demonstrates a title upon passing an exam.

Cartoonz

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
if a licensed Realtor in Sonoma were to own the name, it may be different. But, short of that, forget it. They fiercely protect that mark.

nydomain

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What's stopping some organization from trademarking the words jeweler or accountant?

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What's stopping some organization from trademarking the words jeweler or accountant?
No one. But I am not sure they have the lobbying power of such a large well organized group.

Plus, it does no good to say what is to stop so and so until they attempt to register the word/name as a trademark and it is either approved or denied.

And, since it has a TM date of 1950 one can only guess the laws have changed over the course of 60+ years.

nydomain

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
it does no good to say what is to stop so and so until they attempt to register the word/name as a trademark and it is either approved or denied.

Respectfully disagree. If we see a potential problem, we have full rights to voice our opinions.

nydomain

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My question is more geared to find out what is or can be trademarked and which domains we should avoid purchasing to avoid future legal disputes. I was under the impression that all generic terms are fair game, which apparently isn't true.

What other generics are off limits? Should they be?

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
apple - if you are selling computers, as an example

grcorp

Enthusiast
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

I'm an ex-Realtor. The long and the short of it is that it is a term coined by the NAR (National Association of Realtors), used to refer to "Real Estate Agents".

The reason why the layperson thinks it's generic is because it's so commonly used. It has created a brand over product recognition much like Kimberly-Clark has done with facial tissues and the word "Kleenex". And what Gojo Industries has done with hand sanitizers and the word "Purell". And what Jacuzzi has done with hot tubs and the word "Jacuzzi".

It's just like if I were to come up with a title for a designation as a professional domainer. We'll call this title "Domainmeister".

The word "domainer" is a generic term. Therefore, it would be quite difficult for me to secure a trademark on it.

But nobody's used the term "Domainmeister" before. That's because I just made it up. Not being as much of a generic word as "domainer" is, this would make it easier for me to land a trademark registration on the term.

If I only allow those who pass a certification process as outlined by me, pay an annual fee to my organization and so forth, to call themselves a "Domainmeister" they've got to do it. Since I own the trademark, and what I say goes.

This is exactly what NAR did with the term "Realtor". Therefore, any use of it in a domain name, as would be the case with any other trademark, ought to be considered a trademark risk.

See "Internet use" at the following URL: http://www.realtor.org/letterlw.nsf/pages/TrademarkLogoFAQs

Also, see an example of a NAR case at WIPO: http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/search/text.jsp?case=D2012-0075

nydomain

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification Maxwell. This makes a lot more sense now. They did a great job coining the term realtor!

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Respectfully disagree. If we see a potential problem, we have full rights to voice our opinions.
The point I was making is any name, word, phrase, product, service is subject to the same scrutiny by Trademark Attorneys working with the USPTO. Yes, you can voice your opinion or displeasure but once it is approved, it is approved. There is a posting period for opposition. And, in 1950, I am sure the approval/disapproval process was different. If you want to see what is/is not trademarked, visit uspto.gov. As for the term "realtor" it is a matter of that word being "coined" as having one specific need and unique unto itself and would not exist without the efforts of the Realtors. Just like Google ... that word would never exist without the efforts of the founders of google coining the word and trademarking it.

You can respectfully disagree that the word apple is trademarked. But keep in mind, in that case, the trademark applies to a specific usage and defined term of usage that applies and is used by a specific company.

D

Deleted member 5660

The use of R inside the circle means they have registered the trademark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom