Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Trademark

Status
Not open for further replies.

INFORG

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the UK, but in the US the term "CheckBook" is a very generic one meaning the small register used to record a person's checking account.

I don't think you have any issues, but I am not a lawyer.

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Don't they spell it "Chequebook" in the UK?

Big Ross

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
yes in the UK we spell it "Cheque Book", no one ever spells the other way, unless they spell it wrong........

cheers

Ross

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"I'm not sure about the UK, but in the US the term "CheckBook" is a very generic one meaning the small register used to record a person's checking account. "

Not to sound like a broken record, but whether a term is "generic" depends on how it is used.

"Checkbook" for a check register would be generic.

It would certainly make a dandy registrable trademark for a brand of deodorant, if someone had the inclination to sell deodorant under the name "checkbook".

So, in this HYPOTHETICAL, if "checkbook" were a brand of deodorant, and you registered the domain name with the intent to re-direct visitors to buy some other brand of deodorant, then, yes, you would have a trademark problem.

FineE

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"Checkbook" for a check register would be generic.

Yes, but the more interesting question is would "Chequebook" be considered generic for a for a check register in the United States?

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Chequemate!

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Phonetically-equivalent mis-spellings of generic terms are deemed generic. The most commonly cited case for this principle is the Miller Brewing "LITE" case. Finding that "light beer" was a generic term for reduced calorie lager, the term "LITE" was determined to simply be a phonetic equivalent.

There is a wealth of cases on this subject, if you would like to cheque.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom