Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Traffic from purchased expired domains

aaldsoft

Level 1
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a newbie to this site and to domaining in general. I have purchased a few expired domains that had been receiving traffic but that don't have great domain names. My intention is to register a better domain name in each case for the same kind of content that was on the expired domain. Then I would redirect the expired domain to the new domain. In the long term, I probably would keep the new domain and put the old one up for sale or drop it when the traffic therefrom trickles down to nothing.

From watching some videos, however, I am not sure whether this would work as intended. In each case, the full URL of an original page that was receiving traffic no longer exists. Will the user get a 404 when he/she attempts to access the old page, or if the old domain is redirected to the new one, will their browser find the new domain?

Hypothetical example:

A tweet refers to a URL on expireddomain.com. Let''s say it is expireddomain.com/mysubpage.html. The domain expireddomain.com is now in my possession. There is no page mysubpage.html. However, I have a domain mynewdomain.com to which expireddomain.com is redirected through DNS settings. Is there any chance the user will get to mynewdomain.com? If not, do you recommend I attempt to establish the old pages on expireddomain.com (or skeleton pages thereof) by researching the Wayback Machine?

Thank you for reading.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

I member when I chased link traffic
but found that it's not as sustainable as type-in traffic

if you're pursing this name, based on a tweet, then longevity of any traffic from it, may not last as long as link traffic from a website.

but in theory, the visitors should reach your intentions

imo....

ericthomas

Level 1
Reaction score
Someone did try this on a domain I dropped. He chose an entirely different niche site a very plainly technical domain name. Looks like he is getting benefit from it so far. Google knows these tricks, to be honest. I am sure it works the same way as before.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom