Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Traffic help

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Would anyone care to enlighten me on how to tell what names get good traffic?

I mean, I know you can check linkpop with Alexa & Marketleap but something confuses me..

the other day for example I spotted 2 adult names, 1 had like 300+ linkpop & the other had like 24 or something.... neither name was "special" either (as in, without traffic it wouldn't be worth anything).

I checked both at Namewinner & the lower linkpop one had a bid 5 times the one with more linkpop... whats up with this?

One thing I do know, (well I think I know) is that "alltheweb" links don't mean much.

Someone explain it to me more?

Domain summit 2024

TrafficMonsterRRR

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi ...
I imagine there will be others who will speculate reasons why this is happening, so you will get a better idea. I will start by giving you an example of not so good traffic...

Recently, I got a solid 2 word .com with link popularity in the many thousands. The links were "real" but the traffic potential was worth close to nothing ot me because ALL the sites linking to it were in Korean. Upon further investigation, Koreans arriving to this site were looking for very specific information (of a local town) which I have no ability of providing. The town had apparently rejected the domain, it was not converting (for affiliate use) and my web publishing skills in Korean are nill!

So I guess this domain name was still worth its solid name but it was certainly worth to me a lot less for its traffic...

Just my $.02 to start this thread's responses coming :)

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks TM... interested in anymore. :)

lgolding

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good question.

imoho.........

Link pop has little to do with domain value, for resale value that is. Only has to do with value if you are either planning on using it as an affiliate site for adult or something, or plan to develop it real soon and need a good initial google ranking.

If you wish to sell it retail, it has little bearing, especially to a company wishing to buy and rebrand, and I don't see why speculators other than adult webmasters fret over it. Links have a short shelf life and serious businesses don't care, but ppc and adult webmasters are in the here and now! BOTH legitimate purposes for sure.

Could be that the lower link pop name you are looking at has better business/portal value, and the other more potential for ppc or affiliate programs if developed.

Extreme example, one dot net that I sold never had a link pop greater than 1 for over 2 years. It sold for low 6 figures to a real company. Even now over a year later it has only 18, but seems to be serving them well for their business. Would have failed for ppc or adult, and never had any snaps either.

Link pop is a great tool for trying to determine value, but only for specific purposes for certain end users.

I'm just saying that you may never really really know what will sell for what to whom. Value is hard to define for many things of great value. Don't bet it all on link pop or snaps analysis.

2 cents.

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good stuff lgolding! :)

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by lgolding

Extreme example, one dot net that I sold never had a link pop greater than 1 for over 2 years. It sold for low 6 figures to a real company.

A .net sold for six figures? :eek: Which year was this, gold?

lgolding

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
early 2002.

Surprised me, mid slump, previous best sell was 2000, started in 97.

lgolding

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
early 2002.

Surprised me, mid slump, previous best sell was IN 2000, started in 97.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators