Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Traffic Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

stockshark

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey all newbie here....

Just have a question about traffic... how do you find names with good traffic, and how do you know how to value a site based soley on traffic, exclusive of the domain name itself? For example, on sedo right now there's a domain for sale which claims 400,000 uniques a month (based on the name it looks adult). Is there any way to tell if this is linked traffic, or type-in etc? How would you know what to offer for a domain like this?

Basically I am interested in finding sites that either already have traffic/ppc or something I can implement myself to make monthly income off the traffic. Is there any good reading material someone could point me to on how to get started. Or has anyone been doing this for awhile and has some tips or secrets they can share? :smile: Thanks, any help appreciated.

edit: Almost forgot one other thing: What is considered "good" traffic? Is this all relative based on the domain name, tld, etc?

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! watch out at sedo , a lot of those stats are munipulated by the owner to fraud newbies. Type-in traffic is the best traffic you can have , type-ins can come from a term someone is looking for , then they tend to type in that term with the .com , seldom in other extensions though . Then there is typos of popular sites that also get type-in traffic , but there you are most likely infringing on a trademark (TM) . Expired domains can also be good sometimes , with the old site having backlinks still pointing to the domain , over time will fade though , and last but not least you can develop any domain by putting a website under it with proper SEO and pick up some search engine traffic.

I think someone new to the biz should do your homework on expired domains and try to pick up a few good ones that have some decent backlinks , always search to see where the backlinks are because they could be linkfarm links showing which are worthless , try to find some that are yahoo directory listed still .

Good Luck!

stockshark

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey DNjet thanks for the reply and the info. I have checked at snapnames on occasion for expired domains and have found some decent looking names, although I am not sure how to assess traffic. Do you know of any tools are anything that can assist? And, what do you consider type in traffic that is good? Is 10 a day good?

BTW I was looking at your website... looks like something I might be able to use when I get going. Have you had good success rates from your affiliates/customers?

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
And, what do you consider type in traffic that is good? Is 10 a day good?

IMO, Yes. There have been several major portfolio sales involving many millions of $ each where the traffic attributable to each domain in the sale appears to be 1 to 3/day based on the stats and reports. So with that in mind 10/day is good comparatively speaking, and even better if its all type-ins.

stockshark

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
IMO, Yes. There have been several major portfolio sales involving many millions of $ each where the traffic attributable to each domain in the sale appears to be 1 to 3/day based on the stats and reports. So with that in mind 10/day is good comparatively speaking, and even better if its all type-ins.

Oh really? Wow, I wonder how many names that involves. Anyway I guess this makes me feel better about some of the names I have. Although I don't have many names and alot of them are junk (I didn't really know what I was doing when I first started out, lol) I do have a couple of names with decent type-in traffic, and I have a developed site that is getting 10-12 a day (search traffic), and it's not even in all the search engines yet. I am hoping once I get out of google sandbox I will be getting about 25 a day. I hope that's enough for me to make some PPC money off them...

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Oh really?

Yes, according to the available public information and press releases.

The subject should get a lot more attention and feedback from the experts regarding how and why the big portfolios (selling for as much as 160 million $ i.e the Marchek purchase), with names getting a few visits/day on average, which seems so surprisingly low to many members.

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, according to the available public information and press releases.

The subject should get a lot more attention and feedback from the experts regarding how and why the big portfolios (selling for as much as 160 million $ i.e the Marchek purchase), with names getting a few visits/day on average, which seems so surprisingly low to many members.

trader

I think the Marchex deal and a majority of the other portfolio sales have been mostly based on the total income of the portfolio, not so much the number of names. No doubt in these deals the high income names are valued at a much rate than the low traffic/low earning and "brandable" names in the collections.

In terms of the value of traffic names based just on traffic, I think what is more important is the value of the traffic. All "clicks" are not created equal. many names that get 20 uniques a day earn nothing, while a name getting one unique a week makes $5.

IMHO

Shaun

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom