Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

TRAFFIC sales results were dismal

Status
Not open for further replies.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just reviewed some feedback and stats from the TRAFFIC domain auction and they are extremely dismal and disappointing to say the least.

Apparently there were few bidders there (some in attendance said the room looked empty) and sales were very low with just 240k sold, even after all the promo and hype (which has been ongoing for months). It was also odd for names as low as $200 selling, which lower quality names I was not aware could be listed at TRAFFIC conferences.

The fact online bidding was not allowed was no doubt a big negative and quite ironic and surprising since they are selling Internet names but at the same time contrarily not wanting to do that using the internet as a venue to supplement the in-person bidding!

Last edited:

Tedgeman

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sad news, but expected by most domainers. Domains have really dropped in value and interest. The glory days are well past and many missed the boat when the time, to sell came and went. I,m not excluded from this group but at least I made money from the endeavor. I think you will see some of the big hoarders, who have way to many domains, really start unloading, givin half an opportunity. I have and continue to reduce the number of domains I own. I hope, like others here, that down the road, a few domains will once again return to previous values, however, it may be years, and the new tlds offer a changing landscape. It will never be the same, but maybe some of us can adapt to a new domain game. Good luck out there, and don,t be afraid to cut your loses and rethink a new investment angle.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sad news, but expected by most domainers. Domains have really dropped in value and interest. The glory days are well past and many missed the boat when the time, to sell came and went. I'm not excluded from this group but at least I made money from the endeavor. I think you will see some of the big hoarders, who have way to many domains, really start unloading, givin half an opportunity. I have and continue to reduce the number of domains I own. I hope, like others here, that down the road, a few domains will once again return to previous values, however, it may be years, and the new tlds offer a changing landscape. It will never be the same, but maybe some of us can adapt to a new domain game. Good luck out there, and don,t be afraid to cut your loses and rethink a new investment angle.

A very good post. More or less agree with what you said and indeed the game may be over :uhoh: or at least well past its peak.

lordbyroniv

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sad news, but expected by most domainers. Domains have really dropped in value and interest. The glory days are well past and many missed the boat when the time, to sell came and went. I,m not excluded from this group but at least I made money from the endeavor. I think you will see some of the big hoarders, who have way to many domains, really start unloading, givin half an opportunity. I have and continue to reduce the number of domains I own. I hope, like others here, that down the road, a few domains will once again return to previous values, however, it may be years, and the new tlds offer a changing landscape. It will never be the same, but maybe some of us can adapt to a new domain game. Good luck out there, and don,t be afraid to cut your loses and rethink a new investment angle.

Not adressing the crap domains which will obviously drop. The problem for QUALITY domains is TWO-FOLD.

1- Most quality domains need to be developed and this takes a very special skill-set with a clear VISION.

2- Many quality domains are "upside down" and "under water" because speculators OVER-PAID. In some cases, I have approacedh a seller for a domain and am told they want 60x PPC because this domain has so much "potential". That ain't gonna work. Unless there is another sucker out there.

It is really that simple.

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A very good post. More or less agree with what you said and indeed the game may be over :uhoh: or at least well past its peak.
its just changing. traffic and other auctions did so well in the past because there were big investors pouring venture capital into creating a portfolio for themselves. it was never end users fueling the auctions. now that parking has run out of gas, a large part of their business model no longer works, so the investors are staying away. domains are still selling for good money, arguably for larger amounts than ever, for quality end user sales at least, which is where most domainers should be focusing anyways instead of the circle jerk of selling domains to other domainers who sell them to other domainers and so on.

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This very thread reflects the action of the auction. Couple of years ago there would've been a very active thread going whilst the auction was in progress. Day after and the only thread I can find on it is 5 posts long.

Tedgeman and Domainsinc hit the nail on the head, but it begs the question why? The nature of the product is intriniscally the same, so is it domainers perspective of the product which has changed? The carry cost of a domain is wonderfully low - any half decent domain will cover it, so why be afraid of stocking domains when you can buy them relatively cheaply in the domainer marketplace?

I put the inter-domainer market lethargy down to brainwashing over the state of the global economy - people are reacting to the hype. As noted above, sales of good domains are still buoyant to end users. Is now the last great buy-in opportunity we'll see for domains?

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The fact online bidding was not allowed was no doubt a big negative and quite ironic and surprising since they are selling Internet names but at the same time contrarily not wanting to do that using the internet as a venue to supplement the in-person bidding!
Interesting :p

lordbyroniv

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Tedgeman and Domainsinc hit the nail on the head, but it begs the question why? The nature of the product is intriniscally the same, so is it domainers perspective of the product which has changed? I put the inter-domainer market lethargy down to brainwashing over the state of the global economy - people are reacting to the hype.

I agree with the sentiment to buy when there is blood on the street. The problem is that these speculators don't want to take the loss . . . yet.

And the enormity of the LACK OF CAPITAL NOT FLOWING thru the system is that which defines a Depression. . . has simply not sunk in yet for most

Bill Roy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Results were really poor, but Rick said that the domains would find their own value, and that is what their value was on the day. I personally think That TRAFFIC will actually result in a lot of names selling downline as 'some' domainers do not consider building their domains into sites, in other words the pure opportunists.

Develop your domains, look for new monetizing methods, hell even invent them, this kind of economic opportunity is rare so look out at the world and give it what 'it' needs!

Parking is dead or at least dying, I think we can all agree on that. Now is the time real entrepreneurs amongst the domaining community will utilize their portfolios to develop new markets or take-over existing markets even if only partially.

Last edited:

lordbyroniv

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Results were really poor, but Rick said that the domains would find their own value, and that is what their value was on the day. I personally think That TRAFFIC will actually result in a lot of names selling downline as 'some' domainers do not consider building their domains into sites, in other words the pure opportunists.

Develop your domains, look for new monetizing methods, hell even invent them, this kind of economic opportunity is rare so look out at the world and give it what 'it' needs!

Parking is dead or at least dying, I think we can all agree on that. Now is the time real entrepreneurs amongst the domaining community will utilize their portfolios to develop new markets or take-over existing markets even if only partially.

agreed

Tedgeman

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"Results were really poor, but Rick said that the domains would find their own value, and that is what their value was on the day."

I,m thinking the price of domains tomorrow etc, much lower, for much better domains! Happy shopping :)

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wow. Some serious junk in that lineup of names.

Right, lots of serious junk. What makes it even odder is in the past I am fairly certain they only accepted very good names and also did not sell names for low $xxx as they do now.

The entire auction was really weird especially if you consider all the publicity involved and lasting so long. I lost track of the number of emails I received promotimg the auction from Rick and in addition from a number of folks with cabanas and exhibits also marketed it heavily for months, with emails and on their sites. May be the most heavily marketed conference of all time. I dont understand why T.R.A.F.F.I.C. accepted so many dubious value names, or overpriced ones, the $200 names and no online budding.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom