Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Transfering a domain from eNom to Moniker, was transfered without approval !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fischermx

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I recently agreed to transfer one of my domains to a big internet publisher.

I entered to my enom and unlocked the domain wating for the authorization link to click and approve the transfer.
And was wating and wating and today I checked the whois, and guess what!? the domain is already transfered !!
Why ? I have moved domains from tucows, godaddy, namecheap, netsol and there's always, always an authorization email with a link, so I approve the transfer first and then the domain can go, if I don't click the link the domain won't go.

Now, get this, too, today my domain is already in my eNom account, and it is supposedly "locked" for transfering to another registrar :huh:

What am I missing ? Please, explain. This is not the procedure I know.

The domain name is : dbjournal.com.

fischermx

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well, I've read that before. It must be an approval somewhere.
As I told, moving from tucows, godaddy, namecheap and netsol, I've always received an approval request email.

2. Gaining Registrar Requirements

For each instance where a Registered Name Holder requests to transfer a domain name registration to a different Registrar, the Gaining Registrar shall:

2.1 Obtain express authorization from either the Registered Name Holder or the Administrative Contact (hereafter, "Transfer Contact"). Hence, a transfer may only proceed if confirmation of the transfer is received by the Gaining Registrar from the Transfer Contact.
<snipped>
A transfer must not be allowed to proceed if no confirmation is received by the Gaining Registrar. The presumption in all cases will be that the Gaining Registrar has received and authenticated the transfer request made by a Transfer Contact.

I know the guy from Moniker, Monte, is a regular user at dnforum. So, a comment here would be greatly appreciated.

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Transfering from enom to moniker - there will not be any approval link, I usually recive email from enom saying that the domain will be transfered to moniker and if I don`t replay the email in 5 days, then it will be transfered

fischermx

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
In this case, both skipped any notifications. I have my main email there and I'm 100% I would not miss it.
The funny thing is eNom still have listed that domain in my account and their whois still shows me as registrant !

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
fischermx said:
The funny thing is eNom still have listed that domain in my account and their whois still shows me as registrant !

Yes enom system still has this bug.
But I have always recived email from enom, that the domain is being transfered away

Reaction score
if your domain is unlocked folks, it can transfer anywhere unless you are at Moniker. enom is a great example of how this security hole can be a problem.

Yes their system also still displays domains in your account even if they are gone as well.

BLazeD

Selling
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When transferring into Moniker, they also always confirm it is legit on their end by sending an email with a code to the whois email.

And yeah, Enom domains always show after you transfer out, this filters down to NameCheap too.

fischermx

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
When transferring into Moniker, they also always confirm it is legit on their end by sending an email with a code to the whois email.

This is the email I claim I didn't receive and I'm concerned about.

MonikerMan said:
if your domain is unlocked folks, it can transfer anywhere unless you are at Moniker. enom is a great example of how this security hole can be a problem.

Could you confirm you really sent an email confirmation for this domain ?
or, well, first, could you confirm you use to send this email as a general practice?

If you want to contact me privately to clarify this, I'm ok.

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Are you indicating Enom failed to inform you the name was to be transferred away of Moniker? Sounds like it is Enom's fault for not notifying you the domain is to be transferred out of their system and for you to confirm it.

fischermx

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
jdk said:
Are you indicating Enom failed to inform you the name was to be transferred away of Moniker? Sounds like it is Enom's fault for not notifying you the domain is to be transferred out of their system and for you to confirm it.

Double fault, but mainly at Moniker, unless somebody correct me if I understood wrong, but under the new policies, the Gaining registrar has most of the responsability of the transfer, see here : http://www.icann.org/transfers/policy-12jul04.htm

1.- Moniker as gaining registrar had to inform me about the outgoing transfer. I had to manually approve this. I did not receive this.

the Gaining Registrar shall:
2.1 Obtain express authorization from either the Registered Name Holder or the Administrative Contact (hereafter, "Transfer Contact"). Hence, a transfer may only proceed if confirmation of the transfer is received by the Gaining Registrar from the Transfer Contact.
A transfer must not be allowed to proceed if no confirmation is received by the Gaining Registrar.

2.- Enom had to send me a another email, the infamous letter which defaults to "approve" within 5 days if no response is received. They did not send this either.

A Registrar of Record can choose independently to confirm the intent of the Registered Name Holder when a notice of a pending transfer is received from the Registry.

I guess this is the one someone described as "a courtesy", for the tone of the statement, it sounds like no obligation. Anyway, it is a very common practice and I've always received this.

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You are correct. When I used to transfer my names to GD they would initially send me an email confirming the transfer process. The sending registrar (not naming but starts with an "E") never would send an email. Then a few days later it would be in my GD account. I haven't tried to transfer to any other registrar's so I couldn't tell you how GD or any other registrar's work it.

Reaction score
fischermx - did you use our online system to submit your domains or submit them manually to one of my support or sales guys? If by website, our system sends out an auth code and and FOA email. If manual, your email to submit the domains acts as your FOA - both meet ICANN's requirements.

fischermx

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I did not asked the transfer by neither ways. It was the administrative contact of Jupitermedia domains who did it.
I don't know how he did it, he said "I'll submit the transfer" . Then he told : "I've submitted the request. You should see something from the registrar within 24 hours."

So, I don't know if he called, emailed or used your online system.
Now, I'm thinking may be he just called and some support guy just "believed" him. After all, they are the owners of the "internet" (.com) :)
Or may be he just forwarded my email where we agreed the transfer, which I don't think it is a good validation, since it would easly falsifiable.

Thank God, we're not talking about a domain hijacking. The transfer was good. But I'm very concerned about why the "safest registrar in the world" skipped an incomming transfer approval, as I was considering to move a couple hundred of my domains to Moniker.

Reaction score
so they had your authority to transfer the domain? then this was clear at the time of transfer as probably your authority was included in an email or copied to us before making such request. you would have unlocked your domain also providing the authority to transfer according to the new transfer provisions.

fischermx

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
MonikerMan said:
so they had your authority to transfer the domain?
Yes, it was clear from the begining :
fischermx:
I recently agreed to transfer one of my domains to a big internet publisher.

Now :
MonikerMan said:
then this was clear at the time of transfer as probably your authority was included in an email or copied to us before making such request.
This is the first time I hear that copying or attaching other's email could be taking as a valid transfer authorization. A find it very risky, as this is very easy to fake.
But, ok, well, you're a registrar, an important one, and I'm nobody, should I conclude this was a valid procedure ? That was really my only and main questioning.

Reaction score
given that the request was as you ordered and it was a legitimate transfer that worked in the way it should have, I do not see that you have anything to worry about. If we called for a domain that was in error, it would be returned immediatly to the loosing registrar. That rarely happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom