Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Transferring names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Some domainers have problems understanding the "transfer" and "push" procedures, maybe we can offer some advice - I'll start with some that keep cropping up:-

1) Most registrars do not allow the transfer of a name that is under 60 days old.

2) Most registrars will not allow the transfer of a name that will expire in less than 10 days.

3) Registrars will (normally and hopefully!) not allow the transfer of a name that has been flagged as "Locked" - if you want to transfer a name to another registrar, make sure it is not locked BEFORE you request the transfer. It makes sense to keep a domain "locked" to prevent an unauthorised transfer.

4) Most registrars will allow a name to be "pushed" to another account holder OF THEIRS, even if it is only a few hours old. If you wish to transfer to someone who doesn't have an account with your registrar, offer to set them up with an account, or explain how they can do so for themselves. Then you can "push" the account from you to them - (NOTE It stays with the same registrar for at least the 60 days).

5) Some registrars (eg Godaddy) require you to initiate a transfer process by telling them the new owner's details, they then contact them and explain how to complete the transfer. Although it is a slightly longer process it is not difficult and some take the view that it is more secure.

6) Under normal circumstances the Admin contact will receive an email requesting confirmation of the transfer request. Make sure your Admin email address(s) remain active or you could have major problems with your domains!
**Take special care with the domain that has your domain admin email address - if you lose it (say let it expire) you could allow a new registrant to fraudulently transfer other domains away from your possession by using your domain admin address for authority!

Anyone else any further pointers to add?

Source

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Looks fairly comprehensive! Nice work. :)

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Posts like these make my $49 Plat membership paid for multifold. It helps when members summarise things :)

TurNIC.com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
6) Under normal circumstances the Admin contact will receive an email requesting confirmation of the transfer request. Make sure your Admin email address(s) remain active or you could have major problems with your domains!

Owner, Tech and billing emails also receive the transfer request. They all should accept transfer. However, the admin email is the most important to pay attention.

Also some registrars do not let you change the owner details after transfer unless you pay extra $25 for it, which sucks.

Some registrars, spesifically, register.com charge crazy fees to move domain to other register.com account.

SAF

UnusedDomains.com

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
great stuff once again.

KC Slim

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have sold two names that I had registered through thatsagood.com and when I do a whois search, the admin info is mine, wheras the rest of the contact info belongs to the new owner. Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by KC Slim
I have sold two names that I had registered through thatsagood.com and when I do a whois search, the admin info is mine, wheras the rest of the contact info belongs to the new owner. Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Did you transfer the names or the whole account?
If you transferred the account it is possible that some details may be "fixed" with the account and would require a support ticket or charge to the new owner (not normally Admin details though).
If you only transferred the names then the new owner should ensure that all details are changed - particularly vital with the Admin details as that is where support emails etc will be sent by the registrar.
Suggest you email the buyer and advise him to change details without delay, for his own security.

KC Slim

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply, I had the person who bought the domain change their password for a couple of hours so I could go and see if I could fix the problem, all of the information on the Domain management section shows up as the new owners. When I go and do a whois search every thing is fine except for the admin info which is still mine. Is there anything else I could try?

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by KC Slim
Thank you for the reply, I had the person who bought the domain change their password for a couple of hours so I could go and see if I could fix the problem, all of the information on the Domain management section shows up as the new owners. When I go and do a whois search every thing is fine except for the admin info which is still mine. Is there anything else I could try?

If you cannot change Admin contact from the control panel, (VERY strange! - did you check everywhere?), then it must be done by a support ticket. If your email is the Admin email then you will have to confirm any possible email from the registrar as it will normally only be sent to the Admin email address.
Can't say I've come across this problem with Admin before, only Owner.

William9

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Great idea and post Mr Webname – and others.
Thank you.

Good luck,

KC Slim

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful info guys, the problem has been resolved.
I thought I was going to have to give back the buyers money phew,

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators