Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Translating link popularity to traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

spietreser

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Is there a way to estimate the amount of traffic generated by a domain using its link popularity? So let's say a name has a Marketleap link popularity of 2000, how much traffic can I expect to get from this name?

I can't afford many domain names, so I'll have to be smart and register only those with high traffic :D

Thanks in advance,

...spietreser...

system0

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
no not at all -

although marketleap is a good indicator to how popular a site is it pays no attention to how successful your site is in search engines with respect to seaches and keywords

for example - say i owned mp3.com and it was registered on all search engines but had no incoming links

marketleap would show something like 10 links or something but the site could be getting thousands a day from the search engines alone

obviously this is an extreme example :)

spietreser

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ok, so you're saying that a name that doesn't have a lot of links can have a lot of traffic. But when a name does have a lot of links, does that automatically mean that it has traffic?

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
spietreser,

when a domain DOES have a lot of links does not mean that it automatically gets lots of traffic.

more variables to look at:

it takes work but test out those links.. where do thse "linking" sites rank in the engines? the higher the more traffic.

go to http://archive.org alot of times you can get an idea if a previous site was getting traffic by making sure the site was as it seems

Another thing to consider..do all the links speak the same language as your target audience ! .. you really want a site with all liinks from KOrea? maybe you do..just something to consider.
Generally , yes..the more links , the more traffic..but dont assume.

Also one the main reasons for inboand links is because Goolge places a high premiun on sites that have alot of good quality inbound links..it is part of their spiders algo..

The more inbound links that have high PR the higher PR your site will have .

Togoodhlth

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Be sure the links are not just a bunch of "fake" links.
Also check the search engine to be sure that the number of links shown is correct. Sometimes altavista will show like 200 links but when you go and check there may be only 10.
marketleap is a great tool for quickly checking some of the major search engines but you can only run a limited number of searches with them per day.

spietreser

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the explanations and tips... really helpful. I almost bought a domain name which should have had traffic (over 2300 links), but they weren't english-speaking! phew...

I'll do as much research as possible when I am interested in a name.

...spietreser...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom