Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Trouble with the word SEO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bergomi

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have a domain that contains the word "SEO" (Search Engine Optimization). Can I have problems with anyone trying to sue me in the future or am I safe?

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
worried about getting seoued?

bergomi

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well, people have been sued for less.. Too high pavements, too hot coffee etc etc..

petrosc

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Apparently there is a big number of TMs with the word SEO in them, and some companies have a TM on the word "SEO" alone.

check this out:
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfiel...h&a_search=Submit+Query&a_search=Submit+Query

There is even one company, SEO, inc. that registered the term "SEO" as a TM for their Search Engine Optimization services. I didn't know they could do that. Anyway, this TM is abandoned according to the USPTO database

bergomi

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The link does not work.

Isn't alot of words trademarked? Even common words like airplane, ball, icecream etc.

Does this mean that I can get trouble in the future? After all it is a generic name..

petrosc

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
sorry i didnt realize there was a time limit for the searches.

you can go here: http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=tess&state=glcs0l.1.1 and search for SEO

Isn't alot of words trademarked? Even common words like airplane, ball, icecream etc.

Yes many words are trademarked, but usually the trademark is not in the same area as the obvious meaning of the word.

MS has "windows" trademarked, but they have it trademarked for Software, not actual windows. I could have windows.com in that case, but I could not have anything that was software related on it. I could run a windows maker business, but not software.

Apple has "apple" trademarked. They are not selling fruit though, they have it trademarked for their field of activity. Electronic equipment, software, computers etc.

Generic words can be trademarked and this is quite common when creating a brand. Having a word trademarked however in the field that represents the actual meaning of the word is another case. That I thought was not possible. But in the "SEO" case, it seems that there is a company that did this. I have no idea how they managed to pull this off

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Apparently there is a big number of TMs with the word SEO in them, and some companies have a TM on the word "SEO" alone.

No. This is utterly incorrect.

Folks, there are a LOT of things in the USPTO database - not all of them are registered trademarks.

There is one registered TM for "SEO" as a mark for serving as a human resources department for others. That mark has nothing to do with search engine optimization services.

There is a handful of registered marks including "SEO", and all but one of them specifically disclaim "SEO" from protection apart from the mark as a whole.

SEO UNIVERSITY (and design)
Registration Number 2933018
Disclaimer NO CLAIM IS MADE TO THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO USE "SEO UNIVERSITY" APART FROM THE MARK AS SHOWN

SEO LOGIC
Registration Number 2734898
Disclaimer NO CLAIM IS MADE TO THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO USE "SEO" APART FROM THE MARK AS SHOWN

SEO IMAGE
Registration Number 3180641
Disclaimer NO CLAIM IS MADE TO THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO USE "SEO" APART FROM THE MARK AS SHOWN

SEO SUPER REPORTER
Registration Number 3186487

SEO INFORMER
(and design)
Registration Number 3233468

SEO KING
Registration Number 3246308

This one just issued, and contains a number of screwups:

100% ETHICAL SEO
Registration Number 3300009

FuseFX

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
SEO is way to generic to be trademarked. So no, you will most certainly NOT get into trouble. And John, as always, explained the whole thing very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom