Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

True Geographical Statistics Analysis..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi gang :)

Firstly, does anyone know of a good tool that will analyse your apache log files and provide stats on your visitors' geographical location? Just to be clear, I'm talking about the geographic allocation of the IP address, not the stupid way that many stats programs like Webalizer assume that if your IP resolves to a .com, .net or .org then you must be in the USA! By that logic a user from dial-up123.dehli.sify.net isn't in India...

Secondly, if one doesn't exist, is there much interest in a tool like this? I could write one fairly easily, so I could put it up for free (I even own Geographical.net!) if enough folks want it. I already have most of the code written from another project..

Why is a tool like this useful? Because it allows you to figure out exactly where the traffic is coming from when you're buying domains..

Cheers,
Chris :)

Domain Days 2024

droplister

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Google found me these
http://www.ip2location.com
http://software77.net/cgi-bin/ip-country/geo-ip.pl
http://www.analysespider.com/
http://cpan.uwinnipeg.ca/htdocs/Geo-IP/Geo/IP.html

and not sure if you need it but i think its related

Flatfile IP Logger, Set $variable to whatever you want to log.
PHP:
 $logfile = "LOG.txt"; //change this line if you want to change the file it writes to (must exist and CHMOD 0777)
$IP = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']; //sets the variable for $IP (gets the ip address)
$data = "$variable => $IP  \n"; // sets the text to write to $logfile & adds a new line for the next one (nice and clean)
$fp = fopen("$logfile", "a"); //opens the log file
flock($logfile, LOCK_EX); // start an exclusive lock
fwrite($fp, $data); //writes to the log file
flock($fp, LOCK_UN); // release lock
fclose($fp); //closes the logfile (important!)
    echo "<br /><br />Your IP ($IP) has been Logged with accordance of our T.O.S."; //tells people the've been warned!

Awstats does a good job finding which country the visitor is from too.

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
droplister said:
Thanks for the links :) I have the IP database already. ip2location seems like it might do the trick, but it's $49 per server. I'm thinking of offering a free web based service where you just upload your logfile and it gives you a one-page analysis.

You're right about AWStats - it's improved since I last used it..

droplister

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Oh i didnt know your trying to offer a service in that manner. Ill keep browsing but I dont know if that exists

FreddyS

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hi Beachie,
there are some commercial maintained databases that are really optimized, then get sometimes the city, because they know which ISP owns the Classes, thats specially interesting for PI Address space, I looked few years ago a bit deeper into that. If I will be able to find back to the information I will post it here. I can really suggest to look into a maintained Database, because sometimes user in Germany if they use AOL get an US IP.

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks Freddy, I'll look into it :) Good to hear from you!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom