Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Two hypothetical name issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valt

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The names below are simply for the purpose of this hypothetical example - apologies to whoever may own them:

Say you register a name like LeftBrainIQ.com

Then you discover that there is an existing/operating site named BrainIQ.com and that company has trademarked their business name.

Can BrainIQ.com take exception or have claim against LeftBrainIQ.com?

OR

Say you register BrainsIQ.com (plural version) - Can BrainIQ.com come after you and take the name?

Thanks in advance for any responses. I get a little confused with what is considered infringement!

Valt

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Anyone have an opinion?

I'm still new here. Should I have posted this in a different place?

Thanks,
V.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm afraid there is no clear-cut answer.

If you have registered a name before a brand of the same name comes into existence then you should be OK.
If you register the name after the same (or similar) brand has come into existence then you might have issues.
It all boils down to the likelihood of confusion between your domain and a bona fide entity bearing the same name (or a similar one).
Another factor is establishing the alleged bad faith of the domain registrant (ie. if a dispute is filed against you).
Please note that a company may assert their rights even if they have no trademark. Having a TM is not an absolute protection, and not having a TM does not mean having no rights.

This is not an authoritative answer as I'm not a lawyer. Law provides answers to most questions, and common sense the rest :shy:

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Can they?

Yes.

Whether they would prevail depends on other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom