Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Type-in traffic. Don't understand it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotworx

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and looking to buy some domains with constant type-in traffics. But I've very new to this business, I can't imagine an un-developed domain could have tens or hundreds of visitors each day. How could it be possible?

For example a domain www.cellphone.net which has a Alexa ranking of 4,xxx,xxx, which is obviously attracting some traffic. If someone is looking for a cell phone, I imagine he's much more likely to type in cellphone.com rather than .net.

So who are those people that would type cellphone.net in their browsers? Or are there really people like this?:rolleyes:

cheers,
DotWorx

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You are right to be sceptical. You have to be careful with traffic, if it doesn't make sense, ther is often a good reason for it. I have a hard time with alternate extensions as well. I wonder if it's not just "curiosity seekers" more than anything else. Sometimes it's because there once was a develeped site, or maybe there is a developed site called "freecellphones.net" that people are remembering wrong. That traffic would be more valuable than curiosity seekers, for PPC purposes.

But don't underestimate just how unsophisticated a lot of internet traffic is. There are a lot of people logging on from cybercafes and schools around the globe who barely know how to get onto the internet. They will skip right past search, go straight to the browser bar and type in nakedpicturesofparishilton.com. And often they will spell it wrong. :)

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Although most "bulk" traffic on the internet is referred by major search engines the targetted generic type-in traffic results from so called "Premium Domains" most of the time having a high relating "overture" search score and overture with ext score, although this rule is not set in stone. You can check some domains out at www.eovt.com type in something like loans.com or cars.com and then without the .com on the end and you will see what I mean. This is just one of many ways to determine potential type-in traffic..many times an ovt with ext (with .com on end) score of say 36 will get like 20-40 type-ins per day but that all depends on the search volume for the terms alone as well, you can search for related topics on this here on the forum and learn quite a bit about this and research and ideas many others have developed over the years of dealing with these kinds of domains. Please PM me if you have any direct questions on any domains, I am a type-in traffic domain expert if I do say so myself. We are always willing to help out or lend advice. In time you can basically look at a domain and know if it get's traffic or not, I can usually estimate very closely based on just a little bit of research. :eek:k:

dotworx

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the long replies, Duckinla & Focus! Very helpful tips for newbies like myself:cool: Really appreciate them.

andrejc

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
@Focus..

I was wondering how many unregged domains with type-in traffic are there left? Very few? Very much? Is it possible do find available domain that is getting 100+ typeins per day?

dotworx

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
@Focus..

I was wondering how many unregged domains with type-in traffic are there left? Very few? Very much? Is it possible do find available domain that is getting 100+ typeins per day?

I think that's probably a million-dollar questions...:cool:

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, defintiely not anything generic with 100 per day unless it's typo or tm, I find domains almost every week that get 5-10 per day though (mostly mistypes like adding an "s" on the end of a domain or in the wwwdomain.com form, or like 2 and 3 word .com's with high ovt results for their subjects)...if I sit on bulk domain check and do ovt searches for awhile that is...like I did all night tonight..lol Then I reg a few and save lists of names I find and pick them off a few at a time as I test the others...you just gotta experiment and find what works and makes you ANY profit over reg fee for the year and then repeat it as many times as possible, remember it does'nt take much for a domain to pay for itself for free if it gets ANY traffic or clicks, after that it's all gravy! It takes alot of time doing research online and watching the news and tv commercials! Think outside the box. ;)

Good luck!

petrosc

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You are right to be sceptical. You have to be careful with traffic, if it doesn't make sense, ther is often a good reason for it. I have a hard time with alternate extensions as well. I wonder if it's not just "curiosity seekers" more than anything else.

Right on - I have noticed this with most of my .nets. In many cases I have multiple typos of the same website. In most cases where I have the .net version and another typo and I can compare stats, I notice that with the same traffic amount the .net version gets very low click through ratio. In most cases even, the .com typo makes a lot more revenue with a lot less traffic than the .net version of the website. There is no other explanation than "Curiosity seekers".

tonyfloyd

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hey Chris...so for ex.- would u take the keyword list that Adam sent out yesterday (top 40k) and use DRT to generate names using a combo of the top keywords?.....whats the best way to go about finding these type-in/$ generating domains?.....i agree that u need to definitely think outside the box...and take cues/ideas from tv, magazines, etc.....especially here in NY...i always have my eyes and ears open...:)

tony

Well, defintiely not anything generic with 100 per day unless it's typo or tm, I find domains almost every week that get 5-10 per day though (mostly mistypes like adding an "s" on the end of a domain or in the wwwdomain.com form, or like 2 and 3 word .com's with high ovt results for their subjects)...if I sit on bulk domain check and do ovt searches for awhile that is...like I did all night tonight..lol Then I reg a few and save lists of names I find and pick them off a few at a time as I test the others...you just gotta experiment and find what works and makes you ANY profit over reg fee for the year and then repeat it as many times as possible, remember it does'nt take much for a domain to pay for itself for free if it gets ANY traffic or clicks, after that it's all gravy! It takes alot of time doing research online and watching the news and tv commercials! Think outside the box. ;)

Good luck!

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I goto ovt and type in something random like "pillows" or something...then all the various combos that come up I check in .com in their "natural sounding" order like softpillows.com or downpillows.com, etc... even though the results may say "pillow down" you have to know that people type-in downpillows and not pillowsdown...this is just an example off the top of my head but it illustrates the point well...I find checking phrases in gooogle with "quotes" around it will usually lead me to the correct usage of the keywords...theres a little more to it, but there are ENDLESS domains out there with traffic that are still not resolving as new products and services are created and new companies, etc, and they are'nt always TM infringing..for instance I recently registered AutoShiftBikes,com the other day as there are new bikes out that shift gears automatically as you pedal them..it's a generic and it gets a few type-ins per day since reg and probably will get more in the future..it makes like .50 - $1/day..and it cost me $7
What is it worth just based on rev alone if I sold it right now? $1200? $1500? I found it free to register...and you can too, just try something new, a subject you know nothing about. Who knows, maybe some company will pay me 10k for it...that's why I love this business and we are all blessed to be doing this right now! We are in a very small window of opportunity in time! :peace:

Update: Ok - I did this as a test 20 mintues went by and nobody caught it, AutoShiftBicycle.com was available up until a few seconds ago, I told you about autoshiftbikes.com and that is was just registered recently and new with traffic/rev, blah blah blah above...I was hoping someone would be slick enough to see "bike" and think "bicycle" but out of the 9 people reading this nobody even bothered to check it in .com...it has nearly the same small ovt results as "auto shift bike" and should get type-ins as well and it 100% generic in .com, every minute you are'nt working or thinking you are losing money. What do you think? http://www.autoshiftbicycle.com/
:eek:k:

copper

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Whoa!
Lots of nice info sharing :)
It is still possible to find 1 to 10 typeins per day.

Look for "long tailed" keywords.
Example: income
You know income.com, net, org, info us won't be available even without checking :)

However, "supplemental security income" is worth checking out.
It's ovt is 1597
So, try supplementalsecurityincome.com or "s" at the end.

It's very long name, but, it's very specific keywords meaning it will get high CTR.

All you need is $.70/mth to break even.

Another way is look for dropped names.
MathScope.com
GolfTrinkets.com
GoldUpdates.com
cPools.com
LLCfast.com

Just few I registered recently from dropped list.
They are not making hundreds per mth, but, already made back
registration fees many times over.

For dropped names, check if there were any pages archived, backlinks...

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes copper, very good point...an "s" on the end can be your best friend(s)! :eek:k:

tonyfloyd

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
nice focus!..@#$@#%@!!!!...lol..u sure u were testing us?...or did u forget to grab it??....lol....this is the best thread in a long time!!.....keep it coming boys!!!...and girls!...(raider)....lol..:)

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No, I knew it was available...I like to spread the love around, we are all on the same team, if we all make money then we can all spend more money with each other and grow this industry, etc etc. but at the same time you gotta look out for numero uno. I am gonna get some sleep and will post some available domains in this thread later probably..

tonyfloyd

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
k...thanks Focus!!.....spread da love!!!

k...thanks Focus!!.....

andrejc

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am gonna get some sleep and will post some available domains in this thread later probably..

Heh, I think I will be watching this thread 24/7 from now on :D

Seriously, I have never had any luck with type-in.. Even some trademarks I tested (like match.com typos) were getting almost none traffic.. You mentioned "www" typos, which I also tried but didn't have any luck either.. How big OVT/w score does original name need to have so its "www" typo gets some traffic? More than 1000?

Thank you

DomainBuyerBroker

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Try to focus on a niche you know and like and build a business on a good domain. If there is type in traffic, all the better.

Buy quality, not quantity.

andrejc

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Heh, this is becoming frustrating.. I searched for overture phrases for like dozens of keywords and every single combo (even those with 5 or more words) was taken.. I mean in .com.. I think I will give up now..

petrosc

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
lol:) yeah the frustrating part is thtat most combos are taken, you have to search real good to find something worth registering - that's why it's so time consuming

DomainBuyerBroker

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Now imagine if you spent all that time trying to buy a great domain that you actually love and want to develop?

See my point? BUY QUALITY! You can hand reg 100+ junk to maybe mediocre names for $1000 in reg fees and spend LOTS of time find them, sorting them, parking them, etc or you can just try to find ONE name for $1000 in the secondary market.

Then, next year your one name might be worth $2000 and cost you $8 to renew whereas the other way you probably have a few names that might be worth $2000 total BUT you have to pay another $1000 in renewal fees. Repeat for following years and figure out how much money you have invested in both scenarios.

See why quantity is a losers game? BUY QUALITY. Everyone wants quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom