Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Typical domain scammer email.

Status
Not open for further replies.

loyalrogue

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I figured I would post this email exchange for anyone who hasn't been scammed via email/Paypal yet.

To: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: regarding domain xxx.xxx

Dear Sir/Madam,

We would like to show our interest in your domain name xxx.xxx
According to information stated in the www.domaintools.com, You are the owner of the above mentioned domain.
We would like to know if this domain name is for sale and what would be the price.

We are looking forward to hearing form You soon.

Best regards.

==================================================

OK, the wording of this email just doesn't seem right from the get go. Something sounds almost familiar about it... what could it be... oh yeah, I remember now... "Dear Sir/Madam, I am a Nigerian lawyer for the royal family..."
:lol:

Maybe I'm being too cynical.
I guess there's a chance this could be a legitimate inquiry, right?
I've been planning to develop this name for a while, but who knows when I'll ever really get around to it.
I'll figure a price and respond just in case.

To: Anthony Smith <antoniosmitty@gmail.com>

Yes, it is for sale.
$950.00 USD

I get a reply back right away.

Would You sell it for less?

Well that's par for the course. Reminder to self: Use "Firm" next time.

Hi Anthony,

I'm afraid not.
Our original plans were to develop it for our web design business as xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and as a developed site I'm sure it will generate several times more than that asking price in sales revenue.
You asked me for a price and that made me determine the worth of the domain based on the lowest offer I would accept to drop my plans for the domain.
I am in no rush to sell the domain and am happy to develop it in the future when I have the time.

Thank you for your interest and best of luck in your ventures.

Reply from "Anthony" takes a little longer this time.

Well, we accept Your asking price.
Now could You please provide as with Your PayPal details so we could end this transaction?

Thank You.

End this transaction... with Paypal? Not so fast.
(How many little red flags have you counted so far?)
Time to offer a little free education. Well, maybe not free since I'm going to ask you to pay 100% of the escrow fee.
Of course if "Anthony" balks at this, really wants the domain, and is legitimate then I could always offer to split the fee.

Hi Anthony,

Paypal does not offer any buyer or seller protection for intangible goods such as domain names.
For domain sales we accept wire transfer or escrow.com transactions.
Buyer pays transaction fee.

Thank you.

OK "Anthony", the ball is in your court and we're nearing the end of our game.

Dear xxxxxxxx,

I am more than sorry to say that PayPal is our only option.
If that is OK with You, we could go on. If not - that's a pitty.
Please let us know Your decision.

Thank You.

Ooooooo, wrong answer... and the little red flags grow bigger.
(Btw, what the heck is a "pitty"?)

Anyway, fear not for I have the final answer that will overcome this last obstacle and bring about a happily ever after ending for the both of us.... plus I'm growing tired of this game.

Hi Anthony,

No problem. Paypal will be fine to use on your end.
You can use your Paypal account to pay for the escrow.com transaction.
The escrow fee is slightly higher for using Paypal so I will pay half the transaction fee.

Since you seem unfamiliar with domain purchases and escrow I have already signed into my account and filled out the transaction information for you.
You should be receiving an email from escrow.com shortly.
If you are still interested in the domain just follow the simple directions at the site to complete payment and get the transfer going.

Thank you.

OK, "Anthony", last chance. It's time to show the cards in your hand.

Sorry, only direct PayPal payment.
Please let us know if You are still interested.
Thank You.

Game Over. Thanks for playing.
Carol has a lovely parting gift for you on the way out.

I'm sure this is nothing new to most of the DNF gang, but for the new domainers among us, don't be suckered into letting your greed get the better of your judgement.
Scammers are everywhere. Be wary of any offers that come out of the blue, especially ones that seem too good to be true. (The domain in question would probably fetch $250-300 tops on the board.)
And above all else, if somebody insists on using Paypal.... RUN!
:lol:

Domain summit 2024

Credit

Buying CC.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Happens all the time. What I usually do is reply with one-word emails to try and waste some of their time. Same thing with the appraisal scam

Them: "Dear Sir/Madam...etc"
Me: "yes."
Them: "If you would be so kind..we are interested"
Me: "Okay sure"
Them: "Can you provide us with your..blah blah"
Me: "How?"

It's amazing how much effort they are willing to put into their scams sometimes :D

exxe

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What I usually do is reply with one-word emails to try and waste some of their time.
Yep, I always try to waste their time :D And not only with the scammers, with the domain spammers too.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
At this point the least you could is ask for a phone number and call them - if you're still willing to take a chance. I guess they would find another excuse.

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It is interesting.

Arizal

Level 1
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What are the risks associated with PayPal for intagible goods? Never used it much, but for some low fee transactions. Can those guys really get "their" money back that easy?

afloat.com

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I figured I would post this email exchange for anyone who hasn't been scammed via email/Paypal yet.

Hehe, well written loyalrogue, you gave me a good morning chuckle.

wilfra

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Be wary of any offers that come out of the blue
Especially ones that seem too good to be true

Nice little domainer poem :D

Afraid I would have fallen for this one. I always offer PayPal as a payment option to people who inquire about names - I guess Escrow.com and Escrow.com only is the way to go. Thanks OP

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
At this point the least you could is ask for a phone number and call them - if you're still willing to take a chance. I guess they would find another excuse.

Ehh... it doesn't take much to artificially build trust over the phone. All they need is a prepaid cell phone (or more commonly, a US number through Skype), they sweet talk you a little and sound genuine, say comforting things like "yeah, give me a call anytime you want.", and before you know it, the domain is pushed their way, and they've reversed the PayPal.

Take it from an ex-telemarketer who had to do similar things about 500 times per day :lol:

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 PM ----------

Ooooooo, wrong answer... and the little red flags grow bigger.
(Btw, what the heck is a "pitty"?)

LOL. One of the funniest linguistic errors I've seen.

Just putting it out there... from a seller's perspective, I dislike Escrow.com for the disbursement fees. This especially inconvenient to those not in the US like myself, as they charge $40 for an international wire transfer (in addition to what my bank charges for receiving a wire). Sure, a paper check by US mail is free, but good luck receiving the check and having it clear in less than 3 weeks.

afloat.com

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just putting it out there... from a seller's perspective, I dislike Escrow.com for the disbursement fees. This especially inconvenient to those not in the US like myself, as they charge $40 for an international wire transfer (in addition to what my bank charges for receiving a wire). Sure, a paper check by US mail is free, but good luck receiving the check and having it clear in less than 3 weeks.

Just factor it in to the price, I always specify buyer pays escrow fee as I know its going to cost ~$60-70 just to get the money to my account

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just factor it in to the price, I always specify buyer pays escrow fee as I know its going to cost ~$60-70 just to get the money to my account

We're talking about just $300 of the gross sale price here... so it made a huge dent in how much I ended up taking home.

The buyer did pay the escrow fee... but when you look at how much the fees are ($25 to Escrow.com for escrow, $40 to Escrow.com for the wire transfer, $25 from my bank for wire transfer receipt), that's $90 being taken out of peoples' pockets for entirely routine activities.

Sure, they've got to make their money somewhere... so the escrow fee is justified, but considering that on many states' minimum wages, I could hire somebody to work a full day for me for just $40, and they earn that much when they're at the bank doing wire transfers anyway, it's highway robbery if you ask me.

And then $25 from my bank to receive the wire transfer... I mean seriously... I pay my account fees every month, not to mention per-deposit fees for my business account, in addition to the fact that any money coming in is money they have at the ready to invest and don't pay any interest on.

The lack of justice in banking is a whole other issue, all unrelated to domaining :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators