Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

For Sale ufc.ca - why a las vegas address?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I guess they have a Canadian company somewhere to be brave enough to list a USA address on the domain.

-=DCG=-

Provider

www.mike.ca
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Zuffa LLC participated recently at UDRP hearing for one of the domain names. I think they established some kind of entity in Canada to comply with the requirements. In any case, I emailed to CIRA and asked them to clarify.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Zuffa who purchased ultimatefighting.ca from us is a Las Vegas company. They just recently set up an office in Toronto for the canadian bouts. (may -2010).
The primary TM's are held by Zuffa and as a TM holder they are eligible to register domains in the CIRA system.

fwdtech

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Zuffa who purchased ultimatefighting.ca from us is a Las Vegas company. They just recently set up an office in Toronto for the canadian bouts. (may -2010).
The primary TM's are held by Zuffa and as a TM holder they are eligible to register domains in the CIRA system.

More specifically the non-Canadian holder of a CIPO-registered trademark is allowed to register exactly matching domain name registrations with CIRA: no other domain names!

grcorp

Enthusiast
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
More specifically the non-Canadian holder of a CIPO-registered trademark is allowed to register exactly matching domain name registrations with CIRA: no other domain names!

So could that explain why many US based companies who own .ca domains can get away with not having a Canadian entity set up?

I.e. ownership of the CIPO-registered Canadian trademark "example" by a Nevada corporation would allow said corporation to register example.ca without any otherwise sufficient Canadian presence

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So could that explain why many US based companies who own .ca domains can get away with not having a Canadian entity set up?

I.e. ownership of the CIPO-registered Canadian trademark "example" by a Nevada corporation would allow said corporation to register example.ca without any otherwise sufficient Canadian presence

yes....got it in one :)

Trade-mark registered in Canada.

A Person which does not meet any of the
foregoing conditions, but which is the owner of a trade-mark which is the subject
of a registration under the Trade-marks Act (Canada) R.S.C. 1985, c.T-13 as
amended from time to time, but in this case such permission is limited to an
application to register a .ca domain name consisting of or including the exact
word component of that registered trade-mark; or

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom