Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

UFC & Zuffa LLC Goimg After "UFC" Domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicpal

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
If some of you who closely follow the Ultimate Fighting Championships may have noticed some prominent MMA sites with "UFC" in their domain names changing to "MMA" domains. The most prominent being UFCJunkie.com, which just changed to MMAJunkie.com prior to UFC's last event. This was mainly due to UFCJunkie.com coming to the forefront and joining forces with Yahoo Sports, thus bringing attention to use of "UFC" in URL's.

Now, Zuffa LLC is apparently ending out C&D's to everyone with an active UFC web site.:

Late last week, Matt Cava of UFCtakedown.com was issued a Cease and Desist by Zuffa, LLC. He has been told to remove his website. They specifically nailed him for using UFC in his URL as well as broadcasting illegal fight videos. September 8th's UFC 75: Champion v. Champion videos as well as a fight between Ricardo Arona and Quinton Jackson were specifically mentioned. As of today, UFCtakedown.com no longer exists. In the meantime, Matt has been able to secure MMAtakedown.net for the time being.

So if you own a "UFC" site that is active, be sure to grab the MMA version as soon as you can.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
FC is a common suffix in British and European soccer teams (footbal clubs) so this will be rather interesting.

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well those whose UFC-bearing domain names showing something about UFC
anyway. But it will be a burden if UFC itself decides to force the issue over
something they might really have no enforceable claims on.

checknme

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So if you own a "UFC" site that is active, be sure to grab the MMA version as soon as you can.
Thanks for this info ;) You just saved me some time and potential hassle.

socalboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks also Ben. I sold one of my UFC domains earlier this year on TDNAM for $70. Not huge, I know, but in retrospect given your post, not a bad sale after all. Reason I sold it was due to the possilble TM issues, which apparently have come to fruition. I don't plan to renew the other one I have.

Appreciate your update,

SoCalBoy

nicpal

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how far they take it. While use of "UFC" is clearly infringing on some sites, the phrase "Ultimate Fighting" has become commonplace for MMA. I don't think they will go after those domains. Dana White and Zuffa are hardcore businessmen though, so it wouldn't surprise me.

checknme

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
While use of "UFC" is clearly infringing on some sites, the phrase "Ultimate Fighting" has become commonplace for MMA.

I thought so to.

I was planning on building a community around that phrase - but I am not sure I will take that risk now. MMA it is. Thanks again for the info. Perfect timing on my end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom