Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Uh Oh... new Fraud Scandal at Godaddy just uncovered!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've been using Godaddy Backorders for years for lower quality domains. They occasionally get something, but lately their success rate dropped considerably. These are EXCLUSIVE backorders, 1st come 1st served, no auctions.

I got suspicious and started looking up domains before just accepting the "capture failed" message... it turns out many of my domains were actually CAUGHT BY GODADDY drop registrars (Go China, Go Montenegro, etc), then handed to someone else.

I submitted a support ticket, but got a nonsense response as usual, sending me the instructions for placing a backorder. Yeah, I needed that after 8 years of using their site.

More recently, my backorders have been registered to Godaddy "Domain Alert", and using Godaddy's corporate address. OK, so perhaps now Godaddy is keeping my backorders to auction off to others... that's BAD.

But this week it got WORSE...

Godaddy has now put *MY* information in the domain WHOIS, (<b>identity theft</b>), and in a new support ticket still supports the claim that my "backorder failed, sorry about that".

I've obviously caught them in a scam, and they are trying to do a cover-up. Should I get a lawyer and sue?

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They'll call it a glitch and offer you a .info for .99 cents.

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hmm... sounds like a hot mess

pm me if you want and i will give you contact info of somebody higher up there (aftermatket division) who should be able to sort this out asap

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I do not think it is possible to backorder anything on GD.

Their aftermarket is so huge, I am convinced anything and everything goes to auction and then close-outs.

Then, if you are lucky and no one wanted it, then you might be lucky enough to have "won" a backorder.

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Every backorder you place goes straight to auction automatically even though you may not know it but it's running live in an auction, so to be honest they are a waste of time.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Every backorder you place goes straight to auction automatically even though you may not know it but it's running live in an auction, so to be honest they are a waste of time.

No.

It's an exclusive backorder and there is no auction. I've been using it almost daily for 8 years.

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The way I understand it, is that all godaddy (and their resellers) names go to tdnam part way through redemption period. If it doesn't get bid, then the name drops and that's when the backorder comes into play.

No backorders anywhere are activated until the moment a name drops, it's impossible - that's why tdnam auctions are run before the drop time.

mediawizard

MediaWizard
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Backorders 'used' to be exclusive, now everything does goto auction.

Though in the case of backorders, only the people who backordered that particular name can bid during the auction as I understand it.

GoDaddy backorders are quite effective, except for higher value names... those are mostly caught by Snap / Pool / Etc

radioz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
These are EXCLUSIVE backorders, 1st come 1st served, no auctions.

No, this is no longer the methodology. Their system changed last fall with, as usual, no communication from Go Daddy. The model today is like everyone else's except that you pay ahead (albeit much less - $12-18). If multiple people win, the name goes to auction at TDNAM.com. where you bid for it. Go Daddy gives you credit for the first $10 of the auction price plus the registration for your fee. You are billed any additional should you choose to bid. You may have noticed that you are rarely locked out of an auction now. A few people did put in long term back-orders and they are honored via the old, exclusive method till they run out. These orders may be renewable but I am not sure one way or the other. If you don't win, your backorder is released as soon as the winner pays. If they take a long time, your backorder still sits as you are the back-up and "Uncle John' Parsons wants to make sure that he gets every penny that he can grub!

Their 'catch ability' seems to be worse than ever these days (another reason that you may not have noticed!) but they did get me a good niche PR3 that makes $25/month back in December. I'm building a site that will happily use that names traffic.

Last edited:

slaich2000

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Godaddy backorders are worst in market right now. I have wasted money for godaddy private backorders.

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Godaddy backorders are worst in market right now. I have wasted money for godaddy private backorders.

How can you lose money on them? If they don't catch the name the credit stays in your account.

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
no such thing as "exclusive" backorders, even at godaddy

if there are multiple bids placed, there is an auction

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No, this is no longer the methodology. Their system changed last fall with, as usual, no communication from Go Daddy. The model today is like everyone else's except that you pay ahead (albeit much less - $12-18). If multiple people win, the name goes to auction at TDNAM.com. where you bid for it. Go Daddy gives you credit for the first $10 of the auction price plus the registration for your fee. You are billed any additional should you choose to bid. You may have noticed that you are rarely locked out of an auction now. A few people did put in long term back-orders and they are honored via the old, exclusive method till they run out. These orders may be renewable but I am not sure one way or the other. If you don't win, your backorder is released as soon as the winner pays. If they take a long time, your backorder still sits as you are the back-up and "Uncle John' Parsons wants to make sure that he gets every penny that he can grub!

Their 'catch ability' seems to be worse than ever these days (another reason that you may not have noticed!) but they did get me a good niche PR3 that makes $25/month back in December. I'm building a site that will happily use that names traffic.

I've been catching a few domains per week for years with their system, and I've never, EVER seen these domains on TDNAM, in fact they put the domain in your account a couple of hours after the drop, so when would this auction take place?

None of the domains in question are in any TDNAM auction list.

There is no mention of TDNAM in relation to this service, and there is no mention of any auction in the online description or FAQs. I have not been offered a chance to enter any auction for my backorders, and as I mentioned, one of them ALREADY has my info in the WHOIS, so I really don't think this is a secret auction issue.

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've been catching a few domains per week for years with their system, and I've never, EVER seen these domains on TDNAM, in fact they put the domain in your account a couple of hours after the drop, so when would this auction take place?

None of the domains in question are in any TDNAM auction list.

There is no mention of TDNAM in relation to this service, and there is no mention of any auction in the online description or FAQs. I have not been offered a chance to enter any auction for my backorders, and as I mentioned, one of them ALREADY has my info in the WHOIS, so I really don't think this is a secret auction issue.

If the names you are backordering are registered at Godaddy or one of their resellers, the name will pass through tdnam prior to it dropping. When you buy a name through tdnam you dont get it for 1 week because it's still in redemption period. If someone bids and wins it at tdnam it goes to them (unless the owner renews it). If no-one bids on it at tdnam there's a good chance Godaddy will grab it when it drops - if they do and you've backordered it, you'll get the name.

You won't find any of the names you didn't get through backorders on tdnam, because they have already been through there prior to them dropping.

Call you rep - he'll tell you the same.

Nick

aka twomoon
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've used Godaddy backorders for some time, everything was OK and exclusive, but after I've placed a backorder on one really nice name, I've got an e-mail:
The domain name(s) you have backordered is now listed for auction at auctions.godaddy.com:

..........................COM
Because you had an existing backorder on the domain(s), we have made the opening bid of $10.00 on your behalf. If the domain name sells for the opening bid price, you will receive the domain name plus a 1-year registration.

So it was normal public auction. I was not the winner ))
It was my last GD backorder

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've used Godaddy backorders for some time, everything was OK and exclusive, but after I've placed a backorder on one really nice name, I've got an e-mail:
The domain name(s) you have backordered is now listed for auction at auctions.godaddy.com:

..........................COM
Because you had an existing backorder on the domain(s), we have made the opening bid of $10.00 on your behalf. If the domain name sells for the opening bid price, you will receive the domain name plus a 1-year registration.

So it was normal public auction. I was not the winner ))
It was my last GD backorder

That's a new development - and not a good one. It's designed to attract a higher price in auction - nobody wants to draw attention to the name in an auction by having a bid registered against it.

If you place a backorder it means you don't want to be in an auction.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No.

It's an exclusive backorder and there is no auction. I've been using it almost daily for 8 years.

I am afraid that is no longer the case.

GoDaddy has caught on to the fact that what you may be willing to pay $18.98 for, someone else might just pay $12,500.00

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom