Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

UK trademark text held by multiple parties. what do I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

replic8te

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
TIA for your help.

There is a phrase that is available for me to reg as a .co.uk. Checking it out with the UK IP office for trademark reg's there are at least 4 different companies with different products that all use the same trademark text. The tm registrations are current and they are product lines, not company names.

If I reg'd the name, and offered it to all companies at a FAIR price, is it a worthwhile risk?

Im willing to gamble the reg fees and a C&D if it comes to that, but Im thinking that because there are 4 parties claiming the same trademark text it makes it a little less intentional.

Is this an educated risk or just plain st*p1d?

Thanks again,
Mike

jazzpetals

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Is this an educated risk

or

just plain st*p1d?

Thanks again,
Mike

I vote for #2

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If I reg'd the name, and offered it to all companies at a FAIR price, is it a worthwhile risk?
Clearly that's asking for trouble IMHO :cool:

Selling a TM domain to TM holders, while you do not have a legitimate interest or bona fide use for the domain => that's called cybersquatting.

Besides, there is not one but several potential parties who could possibly sue you so the risk is actually higher.
I vote option #2 of course :)

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NO ACRO NO!!!!! not that thread again.....ugh

No# 2 seems like the likely answer :)

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
http://www.nominet.org.uk/disputes/drs/help/cost/

It can work slightly differently in the UK. Now I'm not wanting to get in to the 'squatting' debate here, but generally you could expect to earn £500 out of it even if disputed, as the DRS system will cost a contender £750 at least. If there are four contenders to the phrase, you have a good chance of making more. But do take care, because a litigant can go straight to the courts for redress and that could cost you a great deal of money.

However, if you're prepared to take a small gamble, then you could run with it. Unless you put a site up and make financial gain out of the name, the worst that would probably happen is that you'd be asked to hand it over for free.

A great deal of this goes on in the .uk sector.

If in doubt, ask a solicitor. I am not one.

replic8te

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
thanks Dale... I appreciate the well weighted answer. There are multiple parties that have TMs on the same name, about 7 so the opportunity would have been there to play.

but the honest truth is I'm gonna walk on it, too many other DN opps happening.

thanks for the education...

cheers
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom