Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

UK's 2nd city evacuated

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevey

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Police in Birmingham are evacuating large parts of the city centre.
A West Midlands Police spokesman said people were being asked to leave the centre, particularly Broad Street, as a "precautionary measure"

He said it was in response to intelligence the force had received.

"It's quite tense," said BBC journalist Toby Brown.

No vehicles are being allowed to be moved, he added.

Birmingham resident Kenneth Kelsall told the BBC: "There is a lot of confusion, there appears to be no chance of anyone moving back into the city - but people are remaining quiet."

hope this is sorted quickly as im flying out from there in a few hours :rolleyes:

update:
West Midlands Police announced they had received intelligence of a possible threat to the area around 2015BST.

Initially people were told to be on their guard and that bars and restaurants were being searched. Motorists were also told not to come into the city centre.

Around 2100BST the police announced that the city was to be evacuated.

VisualDigits

The One
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That is shocking news, this is insane. I think they are implementing scare tactics.

stevey

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
there has now been reports of controlled explosions on a package they found on a bus

The BBC's Zoe Gough said there was confusion and people were trying to find out information but there was no panic.

'Gridlocked' streets

"Everybody is just being turned round and the main roads out of the city seem to be gridlocked, although traffic does seem to be moving," she said.

"I have seen some cars just pulled up and also people walking along with suitcases away from city centre as if they have been stranded there," she said.

She said people were mainly trying to continue with their nights out, but the area being evacuated appeared to be increasing.

"People who have come here to have a good time have been trying to carry on with their evening, but the area being evacuated seems to be widening," she said.

"I did see a massive queue outside a nightclub, Liberty's in Hagley Street, where people had gone to."

"But it is an exodus and the lot of roads are like ghost streets, when they normally would be packed with people.

"The traffic is moving the wrong way than it normally would be on a Saturday night, put it that way. "

so far 20,000 people have been evacuated

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I live in Birmingham and its o.k, a hoax package found it was not a bomb,i think they a blew up someones shopping bag ! Police are stating the public to be on high alert so i will expect more of this happening in the coming weeks,but its best to be safe rather than sorry !

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom