Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

ULTSEARCH - case study

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
/edit/

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
All I gotta say is his/hers/their portfolio is more than respectable but if he/she/they obviously wants to stay out of the spotlight, why are you pushing it right at him/her/them?

I can respect ULTSEARCH because he/she/they are obviously very sucessfull.

Therefore I respect his wishes because he/she/they doesn't want/need the publicity

- 2 cents -

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Very interesting read, although I have to agree with Jordan! :)

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
publicity is a price of success. personally, I don't care an ounce about this guy's operation. the domain biz is a fun distraction for me, not really a business. but if it was, I would be looking at how the top dogs did it and trying to learn everything I could from them. if ultsearch does not want the attention, he doesn't have to seek it. but as a successful businessperson, he can't expect the world not to try to peek in his windows either.

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
NameTower said:
Therefore I respect his wishes because he/she/they doesn't want/need the publicity

Actually, the statement that he shuns publicity is more of an obvious assumption, than any definite sentiment ever expressed from him.

Digital Address

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It is a typical trait for the people in most of the countries of Asia to frown upon an individual who stands out, intentionally or not, from the rest. (I believe it is derived from the influence of Buddhism.) It is, to them, an expression of what we in the West would call "showing poor taste."

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wm. M. said:
It is a typical trait for the people in most of the countries of Asia to frown upon an individual who stands out, intentionally or not, from the rest. (I believe it is derived from the influence of Buddhism.) It is, to them, an expression of what we in the West would call "showing poor taste."

Agreed. I've also heard of the same.

However, in his case I also suspect that it has also something to do with his business strategy. The less people (former domain owners scooped by him, his competition, maybe even tax people..) are aware what he is doing, and how he is doing it, the better is for him in every aspect.

Anyway, the people who are quietly going about their business, are the people who usually have the most to show for.

The people who are the loudest and who brag the most, usually have more of an image/impression to convey to others.

Digital Address

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would suspect that he/she/they (to quote Jordan) would have little interest in being in the limelight simply because it would be an unacceptable waste of valuable time and energy. I would think that for all the major players including Ultimate Search, Buy F. Domains, Name Admin, etc. there would be very little free time available to be wasted upon such frivolities as maintaining a positive image in the public eye. Better to have none! Duke's article on Mike Mann (MM) may have been the possible exception. But not much was known about MM before, the information in the article seemed to me to be rather sketchy, and not much more has been gleaned from any other sources since. In other words, he came and he went.

Time is money. And even with the smallest players, such as myself, who are diligent and resourceful, there almost never is enough time!

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
since he/she/it/alien is anonymous, 'previous' could be reading these posts right now...
Anyhow, dont know If this helps, but I have seen quite a few domains drop from ultserach...

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
seeker said:
since he/she/it/alien is anonymous, 'previous' could be reading these posts right now...
Anyhow, dont know If this helps, but I have seen quite a few domains drop from ultserach...

I personally doubt that he reads this, simply because he doesn't have much free time as he is always super busy researching all those countless number of expiring domains, and is determining their worthyness in relation to his overall business scheme. Maybe at some point in the past he frequented boards like this, but I doubt that he can learn anything new from these boards these days. At least, not on regular basis.

Digital Address

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
By the way, Yun Ye(e) seems to always be on top of the latest in political slogans, advertising jingles, financial terms, hollywood buzzwords, etc. My guess is that he is more Western than he is Eastern, meaning that he resides in the US and has done so for quite some time. (My guess is California.) This conjecture is based on the few clues that are available.

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wm. M. said:
By the way, Yun Ye(e) seems to always be on top of the latest in political slogans, advertising jingles, financial terms, hollywood buzzwords, etc. My guess is that he is more Western than he is Eastern, meaning that he resides in the US and has done so for quite some time. (My guess is California.) This conjecture is based on the few clues that are available.

Very nice point. It could quite well be. But funny thing is, I also seen him being on top of some more obscure South and Eastern European trends and affairs, and grabbing domains relating to that, so you can never tell for sure.

Two thing are obvious though; the guy is a hard worker (to say the least) and is very smart and informed.

In his case, the old cliche saying "knowledge is power" - is very applicable.

Digital Address

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
cappuccino said:
...the guy is a hard worker (to say the least) and is very smart and informed.

In his case, the old cliche saying "knowledge is power" - is very applicable.

Deservedly so!

QuantumBeam

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Quote of the day;
The successful people are the ones who can think up stuff for the rest of the world to keep busy at. - Donald Marquis

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
All that traffic he greets with PPC links from paid advertisers which are setup in partnership with third party companies such are Overture, and on each click the end user makes, Overture & Ultsearch share 50% of the advertisers ppc bid fee.

Just FYI, 50% is not always what an advertiser makes with people like Overture. Generally the larger search engines (Yahoo, MSN etc), I am guessing, demand a higher payout percent.

Where someone smaller (in comparison), like UltSearch may be making less than 50% of the click through price.

Just a FYI, member JBerryhill has worked with/for UltSearch before (I believe).

puravida

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
cappuccino said:
Two thing are obvious though; the guy is a hard worker (to say the least) and is very smart and informed.

Everyone assumes he still does all his own work. I know I'd probably do most of my own work in locating domains, but I wouldn't sit there everyday -day-after-day- to bid on domains in a pool auction.

That can be done by a drone with set limits. I would imagine he has at least a few people helping him.

I know that when I finally reach that level, I won't be sitting in front of my computer every morning just to place bids. I can track names I want, give a budget, etc etc.

As far as him reading posts... doubtful. Since I don't see him buying domains from people here (unless he does so behind the scenes), there's no reason for him to read other people's posts. With mega-millions in income; who cares what the little-people think?? ;)

-Wesley

puravida

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
cappuccino said:
- His operation appears to be 100% legal. Whether it is ethical of him to do that, it is matter of another discussion. Not surprisingly, he faces a lot of legal claims from furious original owners who dropped their domains. Usually, he wins them all, because the court agree that what he does is also a legitimate business and under the legal guidelines.

> http://www.arb-forum.com/domains/decisions/114434.htm

> http://www.arb-forum.com/domains/decisions/98813.htm

Of course, I don't have a problem with what he does --I mean, I got flamed in another post for suggesting that keeping/selling "questionable names" was a legal and ethical practice and business.

My problem with Ult, Pool, and BFD is that these are monopolies in an unregulated industry. Had the hammer come down on these guys like it did on Microsoft; the landscape might be a lot different nowadays. These guys are much more obviously a monopoly than Microsoft even -IMHO.

Is 3 or 4 monopolies better than 1? And yes, multiple entities can -as a whole- can still be considered monopolistic. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I like competition as much as the next guy; but when it appears that you are purposely grabbing certain names and overpaying for them (holding them as randsom because you don't care if they ever pay off); then you're being malicious to your competitors. And, I do not like predatory practices.

2cents

-Wesley

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
MovieDomains said:
personally, I don't care an ounce about this guy's operation. ..... I would be looking at how the top dogs did it and trying to learn everything I could from them. if ultsearch does not want the attention, he doesn't have to seek it. but as a successful businessperson, he can't expect the world not to try to peek in his windows either.

I agree. You need to observe what the leaders are doing successfully and apply it to your game plan.

And, learn from their mistakes.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Steen said:
Just FYI, 50% is not always what an advertiser makes with people like Overture. Generally the larger search engines (Yahoo, MSN etc), I am guessing, demand a higher payout percent.

Where someone smaller (in comparison), like UltSearch may be making less than 50% of the click through price.

Just a FYI, member JBerryhill has worked with/for UltSearch before (I believe).

It is actually just the opposite, the more clout you have the more you can demand.

Some major search engines give up much more than 50%, but some don't.

Remember it's better to have 10-15% of a huge pie than no pie at all.

-=DCG=-

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom