Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Underachiever to Overlord: Go Daddy's Bob Parsons - New Cover Story at DNJournal.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The September Cover Story is out at DNJournal.com. It's about Go Daddy and company founder Bob Parsons, a guy who told us he was only allowed to graduate from high school because the teachers felt sorry for him! He may have lacked motivation as a young man, but after a stint in Vietnam where he was shot while on patrol, Parsons came home with a new outlook on life. He went on to build not one, but two multi-million dollar business empires. Read his story through the link below:

Underachiever to Overlord: Go Daddy's Bob Parsons Started Slow Then Built Two Business Empires

Domain Days 2024

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Great article Duke as usual, thanks. Yes, GoDaddy (and Wild West) are definately #1 as far as I am concerned.

Top notch 24 hr support with knolwedgable and friendly staff, and a complete package of misc services including many free services others sometimes charge extra for.

I would never dream of doing business elsewhere unless I am forced to because I make a purchase which requires a push to another registrar. Even then I *try* to transfer out of there asap but some of these 2nd rate firms make transfers away very tough!

Lately I have often been requiring a transfer as part of the purchase deal (which I commence and pay for) to GD/WW and not accepting any free pushes at all. Also stopped using Pool.com due to their schlock registrars.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
actnow said:
it is nice to connect a person to a name.

When I started DNJournal that was the #1 thing on my priority list - profile industry leaders and interesting individuals so that all of us could get to know more about them as people. In my experience the best business relationships almost always develop from connecting on that personal level. A lot of us may never meet Parsons or other people I've written about face to face, but if you know a little more about their background and what makes them tick it can help you decide if those are people (or companies) you want to do business with.

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nice read, Thanks.

yet I still cannot figure out why they need so much staff for :)

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NameTower said:
yet I still cannot figure out why they need so much staff for :)

In Duke's article, he says that Parson will have over 500 employees by the end of
the year.

If he is running 24/7, that takes a number of employees.

However, he might be using a lot of part-time workers. Which, is very smart since
it offers him a lot of flexibility.

I would rather them have a little bit too much staff. Than, no staff or limited
amount of staff to assist customers.

One of the key strengths of Parson's company is that it has sufficient funding.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Niether rain nor wind ..nor hurricane storms can prevent the DNJournal from delivering the news ;)

I really like godaddys service , someone always answers the phone 500 employee's some had better answer the phone ! lol

The ads on the way to checking out dont even bother me anymore.. with the ads bringing in additional revenues we know that godaddy is going to be in business for many years to come .

Bob can you talk some sense in DOT .WS so we can transfer .ws names we purcahsed at least for WWD resellers into our godaddy account ..really frustrating that I need 10 accounts all over the place when it's all the same backend.

owen

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I get the following message when I click on the link:

This Account Has Been Suspended
Please contact the billing/support department as soon as possible.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
owen said:

If you are talking about the link to Duke's article. It is working from here.

Plus, his other links are also working for me.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
owen said:

Back up now. My hosting company took my site down without rvrn telling me after receiving spam complaints generated after someone spoofed our address! Nothng like shooting first and asking questions later. Scratch my previous recommendations for Voxtreme.

owen

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Duke said:
Back up now. The idiots running my hosting company took my site down without telling me after receiving spam complaints generated after someone spoofed our address. Nothng like shooting first and asking questions later. Scratch me previous recommendations for Voxtreme.

There is not much worse than spam nazis. Almost worse than the spammers themselves.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
owen said:
There is not much worse than spam nazis. Almost worse than the spammers themselves.

I agree. The hosting company takes someone who has already been victimized and shoots them in the back of the head with no warning. It's like a bank getting robbed and having the cops show up and shoot the tellers and bank president.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
bidawinner said:
.....The ads on the way to checking out dont even bother me anymore.. with the ads bringing in additional revenues we know that godaddy is going to be in business for many years to come. Bob can you talk some sense in DOT .WS so we can transfer .ws names we purcahsed at least for WWD resellers into our godaddy account ..really frustrating that I need 10 accounts all over the place when it's all the same backend.

Yes, that is one of their secrets. By offering so many extra cost services before shopping cart check out it brings in big extra revenue. They likely make more profit on the etxra stuff than on registrations so they can afford low prices and lots of excellent service and a staff of 500. After a while you get use to the extra steps involved to check-out and it becomes no big deal.

Regarding pushes between WW ressellers they are not allowed at all. (Duke and I found that out the hard way some time ago) If you try to push a name it fails as they only allow transfers (not a push) between WW resellers and they also need to be more than 60 days since registration.

I have spoken to their President about that 2 weeks ago and there is no way the policy can be changed. All you can do is pay for a regular transfer after 60-days and go thru the normal transfer steps just like with a 3rd party registrar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom