Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

understanding the drop process...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mogtnomr

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Every domain must not be deleted precisely at 2PM EST because during my hand-reg attempts, domains appear to become available anywhere from 2:05-2:20 (from my couple tests).

Is there any documentation on the drop process? I basically want to know how long can it last, and is there any rhyme or reason to why domains seem to randomly become available during that time span. And if there _is_ a pattern, what is it? Alphabetical order? ordered by reg date? totally random?

Thanks!
Rob

ToastyX

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The com/net drop process starts at 2 PM EST/EDT and ends when all of the domains to be dropped that day have been dropped. I've seen com/net drops last over an hour when many domains are dropping. It simply takes time to process all those domains.

As for a pattern, it's definitely not alphabetical order, that's for sure. My guess is the order is based on the order in which they were deleted by the registrar, but I cannot be sure since as far as I know, there is no official detailed documentation on the com/net drop process, and the registry's Whois server only returns dates, not times.

mogtnomr

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Over an hour? wow, didnt expect it to take that long.
thanks for the info.

ToastyX said:
The com/net drop process starts at 2 PM EST/EDT and ends when all of the domains to be dropped that day have been dropped. I've seen com/net drops last over an hour when many domains are dropping. It simply takes time to process all those domains.

As for a pattern, it's definitely not alphabetical order, that's for sure. My guess is the order is based on the order in which they were deleted by the registrar, but I cannot be sure since as far as I know, there is no official detailed documentation on the com/net drop process, and the registry's Whois server only returns dates, not times.

mogtnomr

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
so you figure that when the pool notices go out, that all the drops are done?
Interesting. Sounds like a reasonable theory, just wondering if pool actually
gets some kind of notification that all drops are complete for the day, and
they then run a batch process to start the auctions and send out notifications.

Good thought, I'll have to pay more attention to when those emails from pool
come in.

Rob

actnow said:
It all depends on how many names are scheduled to drop.

I can alway tell when it is over - when Pool sends out an email announcing
the names they caught. It usually shows up around 2:35 - 2:40

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom