Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Unrealistic Auction Expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I feel we should discuss this as many people expect to find gold in the live auctions and it will just never happen.

Please do not expect to find domains or sites in the auction that are prime names, in general, they will just not be posted for sale there.

Poeple on the whole post names they want to dump, either beacuse they feel they can get a good buck for them or beacuse they actually have no traffic value at all.

Most smart domain people hopefully will never put up a great name for sale as they realize its a constant steam of revenue for them through landing pages.

They will however sell a prime name if for some reason they need cash fast to by a better name.

People seem to continue to put names up at $5 and when they sell for $5 they are disappointed they didn't sell for hundereds.

You may however find a good name that may be suitable for an upcoming site or project you are working on.

Again this is all just my opinion from what I have seen.

What's the point of me writing this, who knows, maybe just so people may have realistic outlooks on the live auction process.

You will rarely ever get a diamond wholesaler to sell you a 100K diamond for under $100, same applies for domain wholesalers, they are smart. It is the end users you may be able to get a real bargain from because they may not know the value fo their diamond.

-=DCG=-

Upvote 0

NETGEEK

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Would it be beneficial to try the ebay style auction site again?

I welcome all members thoughts on the avenue we should take the auctions.

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Since I've been here, the auctions were never really a big deal.

I'll occasionally list names when I want to dump them.

But I have been told about $1 3 letter.com auctions and such and good names selling for good prices and such.

Haven't seen much of that.

Auction style is fine, just test the system beforehand :)

- Jordan

NETGEEK

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Jordan, I went through it yesterday and it is ready to go on schedule this week. ;)

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NameTower said:
But I have been told about $1 3 letter.com auctions - Jordan

This was a promo that gregr did at the March 16/03 (you can see the results Live Auctions/previous auction results/switch to Sunday March 16/03)

I think there were 20 3 letter .coms he offered all starting at $1. There were lots of people logged in. All the names sold for reseller market value.

Qi_

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
R U talking about 3 letters or 3 char?

I

impactadmin

Hi,

I do agree with what dotcomgod has to say about the auctions.

The auction is an added feature for the forum for those who are interested in selling their domain.

If you want to sell your domain, whether it is a good name with lots of traffic or a domain with no real traffic rank at all, you want to advertise it may ways, especially using inexpensive techniques. What better way to advertise a domain name then adding it to the aution.

If you are selling the domain for 5$, you want to make sure you dont come across any other unecessary costs. 5$ is money and is still better than nothing.
Although they are not prime domains there are still others out there like DCG said, are beginning new projects that compliment the domain name(s) well.

While one domain may not mean something to one person, it may mean a whole lot to someone else.

Impactadmin

Cash Is King

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with all these points and it is fair for everyone to realize this. I also heard a wiseman say "one mans junk is another mans treasure"

The auction is a nice place to pick up domains for projects, cookie cutter sites and development.

You never know who is going to be on the board that day. Still list your domains and good luck.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ClassicNames.com said:
I also heard a wiseman say "one mans junk is another mans treasure"

Excellent point!

Let's continue to support this auction!

lopramine45

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
What would you say is the average price range (reasonable) for a website on forum auction (offers?) I know this is very subjective sometime, but could you give us examples of domain names strictly based on name that would be a good midrange for these forums? Thanks

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
lopramine45 said:
What would you say is the average price range (reasonable) for a website on forum auction (offers?) I know this is very subjective sometime, but could you give us examples of domain names strictly based on name that would be a good midrange for these forums? Thanks

You can check the previous prices of names in past auctions, just by selecting the date!
Forum prices for domains only have ranged from $1.00 to $XX,XXX.00!

it really depends on the name and the timing of advertisement!

lopramine45

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
i was checking the other thread. 233 in 1 live auction?? wow, what happened?

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would like to see better auctions here as well but I dont think this is gonna happen. Most domains that are good would just be listed in the for sale forums.

AnakiN-

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Where would you reccomend someone to go to get an indicator of the interest in some pretty first-class websites as a whole (not just the domain names, but established websites)?

I seem to get the feeling this might not be the right place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom