Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Unregister Domain Name with Trademark

• Thread starter Deleted member 70408
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 70408

I was searching for some new registrations tonight and came across a nice generic domain name that was available to register - let's call it TestDomain.com. I did a standard USPTO search for "test domain" and lo and behold, there is a live trademark for TestDomain.com. In the case where a live trademark exists on an unregistered/expired domain name, am I okay to register this name?

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Depends how generic or distinctive the name is, and what you intend to do with it.
But it's possible for a given name to be TMed in several different industries at the same time.

D

Deleted member 70408

Depends how generic or distinctive the name is, and what you intend to do with it.
But it's possible for a given name to be TMed in several different industries at the same time.
It's a type of product but not a brand of product. The domain name was the company name, but from what I can tell, they are no longer in business. It just seems that the TM didn't expire or go dead. The TM was for the actual company name with the .com rather than for the type of product it is.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It just seems that the TM didn't expire or go dead.

US TM's are registered for six year renewable terms. Whether the underlying trademark has gone abandoned is a separate question.

Yes, you can find many existing trademark registration for which the underlying mark is abandoned. Three years of non-use raises a presumption of abandonment.

Brett Lewis

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Also, if it's the type of thing where you could make a non-competing use of the domain name, you should be okay.

Brett

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom