Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

unsure of this, book title as our website name

Status
Not open for further replies.

myst woman

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A website client asked me to buy a web domain that was the name of a book he once read. He wants to use that as a website to promote his business, which does not have the same name or have the name in any business documents or ads, etc. If we buy the domain, will a C & D letter come?

There will be no ads. He does want to discuss how the book inspired him. Any passages will be cited as to the source and a disclaimer would be in the t & c about how we are not affiliated, etc etc. Should we back off? is it trouble ahead? No other products or affillates will be on the site.

In sum, part of the site will be practically a commercial for the book. But other parts will feature fully independet work, for decades before the site creation. We might have a link to the press that publishes the book, if advised.

Has anyone had experience with this?

cyberlaw

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, you do have the right of "fair use," which lets you use some of the content if it falls under certain categories of use. My firm web site has a good discussion of some of the issues:

http://www.cyberlaw.pro/general/practices/copyright.html

It sounds like you may be OK as to content, but the name of the book in the domain name itself is a bit of a concern. If you still have questions I'd recommend you have a more detailed discussion with me or another attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom