Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

urgent question!!!

purple8pe

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
im new to the domain business, so im still learning what not to do and thngs to avoid in order to be successful in this business. i have a question though which im unable to find the answer to for example is it legal to sell lilwayne.com to lilwayne or any name for that matter and if so why not. one more question sorry are there any mentors in this forum

Domain summit 2024

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sure there are plenty of mentors here. But if you expect one on one sessions, then you probably will get what you pay for... Instead just ask your questions as you are doing and we will answer in due time ;)

Regarding selling names of people to people.. Its frowned upon but illegal its not. If you use the domain name to display advertisements related to a certain celebrity and it matches this persons name, the picture becomes a bit more murky. Just like TMs you can be targetted for leeching on some-ones brand. Recently JudyGarland .com and .net has been hit with a UDRP for just this reason... So in conclusion its not illegal, but if you profit from the name you can be targetted with UDRP. If its succesfull or not is hard to say in advance without knowing the exact circumstances.

I never invested in those sorts of names, but I know of people that do. If I were you I would look elsewhere for a lucrative niche.

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just saw your testla spacex names.. Thats different.. That has live trademarks on it, you should drop those ASAP. That type of names can lead to prosecution. I will let @RobM chime in on that one.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
for example is it legal to sell lilwayne.com to lilwayne or any name for that matter

Hi

IF...and that's a big IF,
if you owned lilwayne.com, before lil wayne was born or became famous or signed record deal as lilwayne. or your name was wayne and they used to call you lil wayne, when you was a shorty

IF above is true and this is a big AND,
and lil wayne the performer, contacted YOU and asked if you would sell.... THEN you'd have leverage and no infringement,
because you didn't know him, it was your name and you registered it before he became celeb AND you never sent him solicitation to buy it.
therefore, no intent to infringe

in such a scenario, you' should be okay.

but if got the name, with knowledge of and intent to resell to such, and solicited such, to buy the domain
then your intent could be held against you, therefore potential liability.

in genreral..

but as others have mentioned, it's not a path a newbie should go down

*\ not a lawyer, just speaking from experience/*

imo...

purple8pe

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I love the feedback that is also what I was thinking I was skeptical about that idea but thanks for letting me know not trying to get udrp imo

Reaction score
Not worth it at all.
Very best case - you are allowed to put up a fan site but CANNOT monetise it in any way.. pointless.
Bad case - you receive a C&D or UDRP and lose the domain
Worst case - you get taken to court *regardless* of whether you give them the domain or not - this means you will pay something even if you win and a lot more if you lose.
I have been on the end of the second case many times and the last case (cost me a LOT of money) a couple of times. Nothing worse than having to pay 5 figures in damages for a domain that earned less than $10...yes that did happen to me.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators