Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

.US 2 year old birthday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mole

Can anyone here please verify.

If so, it ain't really hit the highway, has it? %+|

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mole said:
Can anyone here please verify. If so, it ain't really hit the highway, has it? %+|

I believe the first .us's were roughly about this time, at least that was the date on one of my best .us I had preg'd:

Domain Registration Date: Wed Apr 24 14:14:01 GMT 2002

M

mole

Thanks real for the feedback. I haven't been following .US developments closely. Zou is having a contest down at http://www.were.us something like write a slogan and win a 3 letter .us like mmm.us

Has .us been working for you?

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mole said:
If so, it ain't really hit the highway, has it? %+|

No. More like crawling down a muddy path at the moment.

M

mole

OnSpec said:
I have had offers of up to $1,000, but my guess is that we're still 2 years away from any really decent size sales.

Heyo spec, yah the highest I ever paid for a .us was $1k, get very little type-ins for this baby. Comparatively, .org seems to be a sleeper that really gets pretty good pull-ins. Maybe Internet users (the relatively seasoned ones) are just sick of the perennial commercial PPCs of .coms.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
mole said:
Comparatively, .org seems to be a sleeper that really gets pretty good pull-ins. Maybe Internet users (the relatively seasoned ones) are just sick of the perennial commercial PPCs of .coms.

One other thing about .org traffic is that it's steady which tells me that the visitors are not just people surfing at work (Steady=quality). That is a huge plus because people visiting your site aren't just bored employees looking to kill the afternoon, they are potential customers.

Another sleeper. Generic .biz names. A particular biz name of mine is starting to get some very nice unique traffic. Again, steady throughout the week (including weekends).

NOTE: One thing to mention about my .biz traffic is that I believe some of it could be explained by the fact new upstart "tech companies" are looking for a name. Some of my logs are showing traffic from well known E-Biz schools...

I've always said .org and .biz names are related, and am now seeing it through traffic patterns!

The thing with .org is don't buy just any name. Get names that people will automatically think of when sitting at their computer. Health/Travel/Causes/Organizations are the most likey .org names people will automatically type in their browsers. One other nice thing about .org is that the traffic tends to be of "higher quality", then most other domains, dot for dot!

FineE

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
But is there support for .us in the United States?

One cannot compare .us to a .de .co.uk or .ca and say well the US economy is x times larger so .us must be x times more valuable since .us lacks the domestic support that virtually any ccTLD enjoys in its own market.

Start with official government sites. In almost all parts of the world they are in the corresponding ccTLD with the notable exception of the United Sates that uses .gov and .mil. In the case of state and civic governments there has been an exodus from .us to .gov and other tlds (including .org, .com and .info) I know this from direct experience with my site www.HighwayConditions.com that has many links to official government sites in the US. Most times I have to update a link it is because a site has moved away from the .US TLD.

Universities and four year colleges. Again in the United States .edu, in most other countries the ccTLD.

Corporations. If they are US based chances are they use .com in the US domestic market and in many cases the corresponding ccTLD in the foriegn (non US markets). If they are not US based this is one area of support for the .US TLD, since they may use it for the US market. SEDO.us comes to mind here. Its strange but a lot of the support for .us seems to come from outside the United States.

Do .us domains have some value? Yes the United States is the strongest economy in the world but the .us TLD has a very small piece of that pie.

gogeorge

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have had offers of 1600.$ and $1000. and $500.

I am sure politics.us went for several thousand and industrialsupplies.us went for several thousand.

hotdog_pk

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Start with official government sites. In almost all parts of the world they are in the corresponding ccTLD with the notable exception of the United Sates that uses .gov and .mil.

actually .co.uk is not used by the uk government.... .gov and .gov.uk are used.... never even heard of .mil though.

FineE

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
hotdog_pk said:
actually .co.uk is not used by the uk government.... .gov and .gov.uk are used.... never even heard of .mil though.

Do you have some links ending in .gov for the UK government? This I have to see. .mil is used by the US military. For example www.navy.mil is the official US navy site but www.navy.mil.us and www.navy.us are lame links

The use of gov.uk by the UK government helps brand the .uk TLD, and .co.uk benefits as a result. In Canada the government uses gc.ca. Now for comparison the Royal Navy uses www.royal-navy.mod.uk and the Canadian armed forces uses www.forces.ca Now show me an official US military site that ends in .us and where the domain ending in .us is registered to an official US department of defense organization!

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
hotdog_pk said:

As far as I know, only US government sites use .gov.

However, .gov.uk is just as much a part of the .uk country code domain as .co.uk.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actually Fine Most US governements us dot .US

http://www.google.com/search?as_q=c...cct=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=.us&safe=images

Only at the federal level is .Gov used.

As far as using .US for commercial ventures..the SINGLE largest holdback for corporations is political in nature.. Without going into a big politcal debate which would be against DNF TOS .. lest just say that once the US starts working again with the world instead of in a islolationist mode..then you'll see .US actually being used more.

Also ..I pointed out in a thread a couple weeks ago..percentage wise .US has had the simngle largest growth rate amoungst all major extensions..

The US IS the single most important market inthe world..dont fool yourself into thinking .US willnot take hold.. it will IMO of course

zouzas

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.US does get more typins then .biz and .info take a look at suggestiontool with the extension..US is over 6 months behind the other 2 extensions as when they got released and another holdback is the nexus restrictions for only us citizens or doing business in the us which cuts back on users,,,,,,,

sex.us 44
sex.info 38
sex.biz 27

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
US would have been a total failure if they have opened it up to just anyone.
I think anyone that owns an extension other than .com will be forced into development.

URLtrader

Domain Champ
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have refused $9000 for a .us and hope to sell it for mid/high five figure amount.

QuantumBeam

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i agree........................................

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom