Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

US Illegal Immigration now used to overturn convictions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you don't think uncontrolled illegal immigration in the US is a major problem, and you're not bothered that taxpayers are now supporting between 15 and 20 million illegals at a cost of $55,000 per family, or that the majority of crime major crimes in many US cities is now committed by illegals, then consider this:

Because illegals are now such a large percentage of our population and the don't bother to show up for jury duty, the jury pool does not represent a random selection of the population. With me so far?

This is now being used as an EXCUSE to overturn jury convictions! Unless this is stopped, virtually every person in prison based on a jury trial could demand retrial or release.

Ironicly this will most benefit illegals who committed additional felonies, who are hard (more expensive) to catch because they routinely commit identity theft of legal Americans in order to get bank accounts, drivers licenses, etc.

Yet another failed policy of Bush (and to a lesser extent, previous administrations)'s refusal to enforce the law.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20060914-9999-7m14jury.html

Domain Days 2024

Creature

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The claim in the article is that the exising system for selecting the jury pool unfairly excludes certain groups such as minorities and lower-income people.
Lawyers claim the existing system is not random and pulls in far fewer blacks and Latinos than are in the general population.

This may or may not be partly due to illegal immigration. However, if illegal immigrants are excluded from the jury pool, so what? They should not be in the country and certainly should not play a part in any legal process except their own deportation.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The claim in the article is that the exising system for selecting the jury pool unfairly excludes certain groups such as minorities and lower-income people.
Lawyers claim the existing system is not random and pulls in far fewer blacks and Latinos than are in the general population.

This may or may not be partly due to illegal immigration. However, if illegal immigrants are excluded from the jury pool, so what? They should not be in the country and certainly should not play a part in any legal process except their own deportation.

I agree - but the law says you have to be convicted by a 'random' sample 'of your peers'. This judge has given a green light to the concept that if your peers are the millions of illegal aliens, and they can't or won't participate in the legal system (and criminals should NOT be on a jury), then you can't be convicted of *anything*.

I should note here that the San Diego Union Tribune is notoriously pro-illegal-immigration, so I'm not surprised they don't explicitly lay out the population that is missing from juries, but here's a hint: The non-hispanic and legal hispanic population in San Diego is relatively stable -- we've had a huge influx of illegal immigrants just over the past few years, so many that they are now a significant portion of the population. That's what this is about.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I am a lawful immigrant of 8 years. Waited in line, paid my dues and since then I've been holding a steady job - despite the financial mess Dubya has created - and have been paying my taxes.

Exactly which part of "illegal" those career politicians cannot understand? Illegals are NOT immigrants. They are law violators & tresspassers. They should be deported. Hiring illegals should carry hefty fines.

I feel for Californians, Arnold is one stupid SOB on steroids.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Acroplex -

I think the Bush policies are MOST insulting to people like you. And in another irony, the people must hurt financially are the very poor here legally, who have to compete for the lowest paying jobs against the millions of illegals working for less, often under the table and not paying taxes.

I don't know of a single person in America who has a problem with LEGAL immigration (although it needs to be more effient and more fair). Yet the pro-illegal groups (and newspapers like the San Diego UT) often 'drop' the word 'illegal' to make it sound like people are against legal immigration as well.

One

Creature

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am a lawful immigrant of 8 years. Waited in line, paid my dues and since then I've been holding a steady job - despite the financial mess Dubya has created - and have been paying my taxes.

Exactly which part of "illegal" those career politicians cannot understand? Illegals are NOT immigrants. They are law violators & tresspassers. They should be deported. Hiring illegals should carry hefty fines.

I feel for Californians, Arnold is one stupid SOB on steroids.

I think you have to blame the politicians rather than illegal immigrants. Of course the illegals are just trying to make a better life and who can blame them for that.

I also blame the politicians in countries such as Brasil where the government cheat the people out of the wealth. Americans could also look at the Mexican border where you can just walk through the woods to the USA. I understand the fee is around $10k to get across the border and into a USA house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom