Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

.US Registry Locks my Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frontline

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For about two weeks i have been trying to figure out why I can't edit my domain name shitty.us and I finally get this answer. You would think that their registration programming would be able to block the word, instead they'll just take my money and lock the name :)

This issue is likely caused by the fact that the .US Registry has locked your domain due to a violation of the Registration Review Policy:

NeuStar will follow a policy to preserve and enhance the value of the .US Internet
address to all users, including, in particular, state and local governments, libraries and
K-12 schools. Given the importance of .US as a national public resource, certain
guidelines must apply. Therefore, NeuStar will review, for possible deletion by the
Registry, all registered second- level domain names that contain, within the characters of
the domain name registration, any of the seven words identified in Federal
Communications Commission v. Pacifica Foundation, 438 U.S. 726, 98 S. Ct. 3026, 57
L.Ed.2d 1073 (1978), the “Seven Words”.

Anyone know anyway I can find out for myself whether my domain is being locked for this instead of through seemingly knowledgless godaddy support team?

Kid Kool

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sleazy
For about two weeks i have been trying to figure out why I can't edit my domain name shitty.us and I finally get this answer. You would think that their registration programming would be able to block the word, instead they'll just take my money and lock the name :)

This issue is likely caused by the fact that the .US Registry has locked your domain due to a violation of the Registration Review Policy:

NeuStar will follow a policy to preserve and enhance the value of the .US Internet
address to all users, including, in particular, state and local governments, libraries and
K-12 schools. Given the importance of .US as a national public resource, certain
guidelines must apply. Therefore, NeuStar will review, for possible deletion by the
Registry, all registered second- level domain names that contain, within the characters of
the domain name registration, any of the seven words identified in Federal
Communications Commission v. Pacifica Foundation, 438 U.S. 726, 98 S. Ct. 3026, 57
L.Ed.2d 1073 (1978), the “Seven Words”.

Anyone know anyway I can find out for myself whether my domain is being locked for this instead of through seemingly knowledgless godaddy support team?

well if the domain in question is "shitty.us" then there's your answer. another reason not to go with .us names. Too many regulations associated with the extension

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Who would have thought this little comic routine would still be making noise 30 years later?

George Carlin's "Seven Dirty Words"
Sh*t, pi*s, fu*k, cu*t, co*ksucker, motherfu*ker and t*ts.

These are the historic words from George Carlin's comedy rountine "Seven Words You Can Never Say On Television," which appeared on a record album called "Class Clown" in 1973.

Carlin's next album -- "Occupation: Foole" -- featured a sequel titled "Filthy Words." When this monologue was played on the air in October, 1973 by Pacifica radio station WBAI, New York City, it resulted in an order from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) forbidding the broadcast of such language "at times of day when there is a reasonable risk that children may be in the audience." The FCC did not specify which times of day this might be, nor did they in any way define "children."

Pacifica appealed the order to the District of Columbia Circuit Court of Appeals and won a reversal. The FCC then appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court where the original order was upheld, thus forever inscribing "sh*t, pi*s, fu*k, cu*t, co*ksucker, motherfu*ker and t*ts" into the official, recorded, legal history of the United States of America.

In a footnote to this legal action, Carlin later wrote: "Toward the end of 'Filthy Words' I noted that I had left three very obvious candidates off the original list: fart, turd and twat. I cannot imagine why the FCC and the Court neglected to outlaw such gross indecency, especially since 'twat' is a precise synonym for 'cu*t.' Such logic! Such law! "

Here's the original Carlin routine that caused the original uproar. http://staff.dstc.edu.au/bill/carlin.html

The decision: http://www.eff.org/Censorship/Radio_and_tv/FCC_v_Pacifica/

Cheers

ThinLizzy

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
saw George Carlin in vegas, he's a nutjob lol

liz

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This rule is a direct relationship to the current conservative administration....Ironic the land of free speech and yet here we are ...this administration trying to regulate that speech...wasnt it rumsfield that had them place a curtain over a nude satutue when he was giving a speech !:laugh:

This is the problem when you allow religion into your politics..this is fairly tame compared to many religious governments..but it's a small view of the censorship that would run rampant when we start allowing religions to rule governments...Think the taliban, the Irans, (although they are slowly coming to middle ground) etc...

The sad part is ..I beleive that for the most part they truely beleive they are doing good..

I think with one little freedom of speech suit and you'll see those restrictions lifted...

Kids.us is something good that came out of the admin.. I have no problem with setting aside an area for kids away from "most" of the garbage..

Drewbert

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Quick

Someone register scunthorpe.us and complain to the media when they delete it.

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't Scunthorpe violate the U.S. nexus requirement? :)

xero

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree. This is a ridiculous rule.
The US domain is promoted with patriotic fervour...eagles and stars and stripes galore... yet freedom of speech is ignored?

And it doesn't make even sense. Adult sites are not restricted, just a certain seven 'dirty' words in the domain name.
So Fisting.US is allowed yet t*its.US is banned?????

Hopefully when kids.us comes out Neustar will drop this nonsense restriction.
It is losing the domain a lot of publicity. A huge chunk of new domain registrations are for adult gallery sites viewed by millions each day.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
>xero: ... So Fisting.US is allowed yet t*its.US is banned?????

LOL! Perhaps they think that it's about fist fighting; who would imagine you're actually putting your fist (or even fists) in your girl's "beloved aunt"*! LOL! :D

* Courtesy Larry David's Curb Your Enthusiasm.

octobus

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by bidawinner
:

This is the problem when you allow religion into your politics..this is fairly tame compared to many religious governments..but it's a small view of the censorship that would run rampant when we start allowing religions to rule governments...Think the taliban, the Irans, (although they are slowly coming to middle ground) etc...

Iran is fairly moderate compared to Arab nations. There's a huge pressure to abolish the religious power and especially urban areas can be found pro-western.

Frontline

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The point you guys brought up about the adult sites is what really annoys me, i mean you have people regging shit like stickyourweinerin.us or rape.us and TitsR.us, and really i don't think people find the word shitty as offensive of some of the other names that are regged. The system won't let you reg F**K.us or S**T.us, but i think it was obviously their fault or programming glitch that allowed me to reg this, for all i knew it obeyed their guidelines. Guess ill just reg a whole bunch of stuff like IPlantedABombSomewhereInThe.us.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
FYI: Iran was one of the most pro-Western countries in the region before the Islamic revolution in 1979.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom