Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

.us reseller registration question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graham Easton

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As I understand it you have to be a US citizen or company to register a .us domain. Does that also apply to the aftermarket? I'm a UK citizen and would like to buy an existing .us name - can I ?

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No you don't need to be an American resident nor US based business. As I understand you must have legitimate business interest in the US but don't quote me on that :-X

Graham Easton

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't see how that can be policed. I have an American friend through whom I could buy the domain and then I'd simply make it private and use for my own purposes. Anyone see any problems with that?

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You would likely get away with it if you answer the questions right including a US whois info. However, if a US citizen decided they wanted the name and reported the probable false information on the registration (ie. falsifying citizenship or US nexus), you would most likely lose the domain. As a personal site, maybe no big loss, but I certainly wouldn't build a business on it.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Graham Easton said:
Does that also apply to the aftermarket?
Yes, the usTLD Nexus Requirements DOES apply to the aftermarket.

Graham Easton said:
I don't see how that can be policed.
With a bit more resources and *some* determination from the registry, the rules can be enforced with no problem. (Just take a look at the RIAA's legal "shows".) But the bottom line is: we don't break the law just because we can, do we?

Graham Easton

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Depends upon whether you think domain registration as a law. The question has been answered though. Americans will get upset if I register a .us domain myself, so I'll register it through an American friend. Same outcome.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Graham Easton said:
As I understand it you have to be a US citizen or company to register a .us domain. Does that also apply to the aftermarket? I'm a UK citizen and would like to buy an existing .us name - can I ?

1) Yes
2) Yes, but should you?

Graham Easton said:
I don't see how that can be policed. I have an American friend through whom I could buy the domain and then I'd simply make it private and use for my own purposes. Anyone see any problems with that?

Morally - yes, but it's a bit like the law that prohibits UK citizens parking on the pavement - wrong but done in every street!
Commercially - you don't even have to do that, it's done all of the time either by deception or by a wide interpretation of Nexus Category 3.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mr Webname said:
Commercially - you don't even have to do that, it's done all of the time either by deception or by a wide interpretation of Nexus Category 3.
Yes, just go through the usTLD Nexus Requirements link I posted earlier, and you can tell that it's not difficult at all to "abide" to that. LOL!

Graham Easton said:
Depends upon whether you think domain registration as a law.
Law or just rules. Of course, a lot of people park their car in spaces reserved specifically for the physically challenged (handicapped).

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom