Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

.usa???

Status
Not open for further replies.

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's terrible these scammers picked .usa as their showcase phoney extension. With .us finally released to the public it looks like they are only trying to capitalize by confusing themselves with .us

It's new.net, only worse..

Why do so many (or most) people assume any tld not introduced via icann is "phoney".

I suppose if you are North American based it's easy to fall into that trap. However, spare a thought for non-US based people - who do not instinctively follow what stems from the US....

Icann is an American institution trying to control a universal resource. The resource is not American owned. At the moment people have not fully woken up to this reality, but in time they will. I am sure in time you will see parallel namespaces (in fact they already exist) and people will become more aware of the choices available to them rather than what Icann tries to portray as the "only" choices.

The funny thing is that American's pride themselves so much on freedom of speech, choice etc, that it is quite funny to watch them willingly permit Icann to restrict their "freedom" of choice on the internet...

Here is an non-biased, informative site on what's out there besides icann : http://root-dns.org

Her's an article that makes interesting reading : http://a-i-s.org/internet_reform_draft.htm

Alternate roots are simply domain anarchy. This has nothing to do with freedom.

-t

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by ais
Why do so many (or most) people assume any tld not introduced via icann is "phoney".

I suppose if you are North American based it's easy to fall into that trap. However, spare a thought for non-US based people - who do not instinctively follow what stems from the US....

Icann is an American institution trying to control a universal resource. The resource is not American owned.

It's ironic your post here is defending a ".usa" extension.

If these extensions were being introduced as being exclusive to a "parrallel Internet" that would be another thing. The problem is these Phoney extensions, such as .usa, thrive on confusing unknowledgable Internet users by selling them domain names that simply do not work in the grand scheme of things.

I don't think this is an issue of freedom here.

DNS Kidd

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.USA was a $69 for two years registration theft, period.

The real (first) .USA alternate namespace TLD is mentioned only on some domain newsgroups, and the fact that the name will not resolve (without DNS changes) is made clear.

Dave

thewitt : with all due respect your "carte blanche" response appears fairly typical of an uninformed opinion.

RJ : Actually I was not defending any tld in particular. I was more questioning the dismissive attitude, like that of thewitt, when it comes to tlds not introduced via icann.

My point being (and this is not favouring any particular root or tld) that tlds are strings (text) and as such not "owned" by anybody. It is therefore unrealistic that a single entity should try to exercise control over it and try to play "dictator" to the whole world.

Stopping people from trying to put a little perspective on the ICANN stranglehold on TLDs is not ironic, as RJ would want us to believe. Apart from that, it is quite clear that these TLDs will not resolve on any browser, however, what many who post here have failed to do is visit the site in question, where this issue is actually addressed. From what I can see, this is not a scam, as the company admits you need additional software, and so what if people want to develop alternatives to the US-government controlled and severely limited current TLD list? As a non-US citizen, I cannot see any problem, and roll on the day when the Internetizens really get a bit more choice and freedom, rather than having to kow-tow to the self-interested bureaucrats who currently run things. Why can't ICANN embrace them?

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am a proponant of free enterprise and certainly have no intentions of prohibitting companies like dotWORLDS and new.net from creating and marketing their own "fantasy world" of domains.

That part I find sad is when these overpriced "novelty" domains are sold to unsuspecting users who do not realize the names are useless for what they need them for -- a globally accessable website, search engine placement, e-mail, etc.

The problem ais, is I know exactly what you are talking about, and have been active on the Internet since before there was a Distributed Name System and you had to call John to get assigned an IP address for your system.

There is no place for anarchy on the Internet, whether you support it or not. ICANN and IANA are the governing bodies of the namespace, like it or not, and the alternate roots are simply taking advantage of those who don't know any better.

People selling names in the alternate root namespaces are simple ripoff artists. It would do you well to recognize that.

-t

Sad is the day when creativity is called anarchy.

If the sites mentioned by RJ actually say that additional software or DNS changes are required, what is the problem? Maybe one day someone will come up with an idea and create a strong alternative TLD society and challenge what it basically a pretty inflexible current situation. I ask again, why can't ICANN embrace these companies? Some would almost seem to feel threatened by the fact that others are trying to liven up the market.

BTW - if other sites that were in fact scams were closed down by the almight federal trade commission, why haven't the ones mentioned? Maybe they are not, as some of the more threatened would have us believe, ripoff artists? Food for thought....

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Soon I will launch my own extension.... .Bullshit.
I will charge..$250 per year for registration.
Silly???
Believe me... Of what i see in the Domain world... i'll probaly get many customers...
A fool is born everyday :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom