Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Users should be able to delete their threads if they wish to

Status
Not open for further replies.

petrosc

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think many other DNForumers share the same thoughts with me on this matter. I think we should be able to delete threads that we started, if we ever wish to. There are many reasons for this, my personal reasons are search engine listings.

Possible senario example: Someone starts an appraisal thread and gets lowballed(not rare at all). He then tries to sell the domain for $100 with no result. A few months later, an end user apears who wants to buy that specific domain and is prepared to pay $2000 for it. He does a search in google and he finds two interesting things:
1. That when the owner of his desired domain asked for an appraisal he got low $xxx for an answer.
2. The owner tried to sell it for $100 and failed.

Logically, he would then reconcider his budget and contact the owner with a $100 offer.

Or maybe, I would like to discuss a TM domain that I have, get a few thoughts from the members and then delete the thread. I wouldn't like it to be all over google the next month would I?

Anybody here who would like to comment on that?

Petros

Upvote 0

dodo1

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Petros, while I get your point I hardly disagree with you.

First of all, when making a post you should know that the info in that post will be indexed by search engines. So consider that before making the post.

Second, the ability to delete your own threads could open the doors to scammers.

Third, if people know they can delete their threads at a later point of time they will not be so careful about what they post. For instance, they post accusations etc. in the "People to avoid dealing with" forum and later just delete their thread, because they cannot back their accusations up. Nobody would be able to prove that they were posting lies about other people on this forum.

I think it is very good that all threads stay online and accessible, because this way people will think more carefully about what they post, in my opinion. Especially if they are about to post crap on the forum. This is good for the quality of the forum, after all.

Last point, if everybody had the possibility to delete their own threads this would result in less control for the admins of this forum. Do not get me wrong, this should not be a dictatorship at all. :) But it should still be the owner of the forum who has the final say on whether or not a thread will be deleted.

Regarding your misgiving about prices in sales threads, you should know how much your domain is worth. Do not offer it for sale at $100 if you think you can seriously get $1,000 from another buyer. On the other hand, if you want to offer domains at discount prices for a short time only you can still say "This offer is valid for the next 24 hours only." or anything like that.

dodo1

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Edit / Addition:
In terms of TM domains, there is a TM discussion forum in the Exclusive area. That forum is not indexed by search engines as far as I know.

Chelsea

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Dominik, what about the possibility to edit our titles?

While I agree that being able to delete our own posts would open doors for scammers, sometimes it would be nice to able to change the title of our threads within the given rules.
There are moments I found that just changing the post itself is useless when the title stays in place.
Could that be an option?

SouthernTn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Chelsea said:
Dominik, what about the possibility to edit our titles?

While I agree that being able to delete our own posts would open doors for scammers, sometimes it would be nice to able to change the title of our threads within the given rules.
There are moments I found that just changing the post itself is useless when the title stays in place.
Could that be an option?

I think that could be abruised also in ways. If users were able to do that, I believe we'll be seeing changing of thread titles back and forth just to get more attention to their threads, especially if the previous title was unsuccessful in attracting interested members. imo

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This topic is not open for debate.

Users cannot delete threads or edit titles, it would be a mess.

that's why we have moderators.

thread closed.

-=DCG=-

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom