Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Using DNForum.com to sell stolen content - Is this now allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

dmyre

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As the seller said, it's no different than a lot of content on Google images, youtube, and lyrics site.
If the copyright holder wants to enforce their work, then let them. The DMCA is already in place.
It's not the job of DNF to enforce every single post on the forum.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As the seller said, it's no different than a lot of content on Google images, youtube, and lyrics site.
If the copyright holder wants to enforce their work, then let them. The DMCA is already in place.
It's not the job of DNF to enforce every single post on the forum.

It's VERY different. Google Images provides links to the originating site with ZERO ads on the search page. Youtube has lost cases and paid cash settlements in many cases, and has formal agreements for copywritten content that it does provide.

The person selling the stolen images in this thread is intentionally attempting to conceal the theft by removing trademarks and hiding behind whois privacy. That makes this a criminal case and also means the copyright holders can sue for a higher level of damages.

And yes, DNForum *IS* liable in this case, since their policy states that they moderate these forums and are actively participating in a criminal act. If any of the images here were mine, I would be filing both a criminal and civil case against Adam Dicker, and the person who is selling the stolen images.

You have to be utterly stupid and uninformed to think that copyright laws do not exist and are not enforced... not to mention completely unethical.

DNForum has a choice to make -- let idiots like this try to dump stolen goods on a new domainer who many not understand the issues, or do the ethical (and legal) thing and ban this person from DNForum.

dmyre

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If the copyright holder wants to enforce their work, then let THEM. The DMCA is already in place.
Your argument is trivial and reminiscent of an upset third grader that didn't get their daily nap.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If the copyright holder wants to enforce their work, then let THEM. The DMCA is already in place.
Your argument is trivial and reminiscent of an upset third grader that didn't get their daily nap.

That's just plain stupid.

I supposed you think it's OK to steal a car, because if the owner can't find it (after you've HIDDEN it in your garage) then it's OK that you've stolen it. That really is toddler level thinking, no intelligent adult would be that stupid.

3rd graders, and certain people on this forum, are ignorant of even the basics of copyright law.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have closed the sales thread as we don't allow blatant trademarks or celeb names for sale as it does infringe on their rights.

I will investigate more tomorrow as it is midnight here.

Adam

ecomindia

e-commerce.in
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ah! i can reply, its now morning here ;)

Points Against:
"They are either scanned/screencapped by me or found online. I've never once had a request to take even one image down & it's been up since October 2006."
"I've sold SandraLee.info for $3,700 years ago. I sold JerseyShoreQuotes.com for $6,700 ... every bit of those sites was not MY content."
Come on... I've been in this game for awhile, too. You have to be realistic...

Points for:
NO I don't remove watermarks or crop out branding
ecomindia : if the T&C clearly mentions considering the above point, it might be ok as most of FREE image sites , content providers are ok if the credit is in place and no image is edited . "as it is"

Understand, it is difficult for site owners , admins , mods to just keep a tab on just every thread , post and this is where DNF users make difference from other forums.. to bring to the notice and let DNF judge it out!

airmax

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The R Ray thread has been at the top 10 everytime I have logged in, same with the football player C Newton, hate to see a newbie get stuck into buying those kind of names, when they could be investing those dollars into solid names other members are selling here...

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The rules of the game dictate that you can copy whatever you want, entire pages and paragraphs, as long as you include a link back to the original. Without that, 95% of the internet would stop functioning.

BUT the important bit is that you allow links back to the origianl. I clearly don't see that here. It might not land you, the site owner, into trouble, but that shouldn't be any reason to promote such tactics.

Thanks for closing that thread Adam. This community doesn't need stuff like that.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The rules of the game dictate that you can copy whatever you want, entire pages and paragraphs, as long as you include a link back to the original. Without that, 95% of the internet would stop functioning.

Absolutely FALSE. You need to fire whatever lawyer told you that.

BUT the important bit is that you allow links back to the origianl.

This depends entirely on the contract with the image owner. There is usually one price for use with a link, another (higher) price without a link.

Thanks for closing that thread Adam. This community doesn't need stuff like that.

I AGREE! Thank you Adam!

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Absolutely FALSE. You need to fire whatever lawyer told you that.
True. I couldn't believe such fallacy (that you can copy whatever you want ... as long as you include a link back) would make its way this far. This kind of THEFT is an outright assault on the creative community, no wonder "domainers" get such a bad name. If Adam truly has the vision to lead this industry to the next level (which I never doubt), DNForum should totally distance itself from such shady practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom