Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

using overture stats to buy a domain name

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddie1278

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Anybody buy a domain name after checking for its searches on overture? Please list your traffic numbers and search numbers.
Example- videogamesonline, 40,000 searches recieves 100 type ins a day.

Im trying to get an idea of the typein numbers compared to what the searches where for the word(domain)

I have many names that get over 100,000 searches and up to 300,000 that i dont know if i should register them. When you type them in with the .com they get 0 seraches. For 300,000 searches a month not 1 person typed it in the browser, thats hard to believe. Just wanna see the average typeins are compared to the searches.

Like 40,000 searches-avg 150 typeins a day..etc

observer

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
First, people seem to understand "type-ins" in a different way. I measure it only via the traffic coming before the domain is advertised anywhere or indexed by SE spiders. So people trying SEARCHPHRASE.com or typing SEARCH PHRASE into the navigation bar of their browser, which let's Internetexplorer and Netscape check if there is a .com, .net, .org version.
So I wonder sometimes when people speak about their phantasy domain name with an .cc tld or something and claime to receive masses of type-ins.
I have been trying for a long time to find a correlation between search term suggestion tool numbers (like from Overture) and the type-ins (as I understand them). It doesn't give a clear picture. The only chance to find out is to register the domain.
Some high Overture numbers which make sense get very sporadic visitors, one every few days. Some low numbers get a steady stream. According to my own experience I would say the shorter the domain the more likely is it. 1 or 2 word domains are much more likely than 3 word phrases. 100 type-ins per day for videogamesonline (I can't find 40000 on Overture at the moment, by the way) seem to me very good. I had and have some shorter domains with double these Overture numbers getting half of it.
The environment might pay a role, if the competition is very low or extremly high, so people have difficulties to find what they want in Yahoo or Google, they may try the .com domain.
"Free" in the domain name can increase the volume. And product/service names find a higher interest. Adult phrases maybe too.

uncle

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
videogamesonline.com doesn't resolve for me

eddie1278

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
videogamesonline is an example sorry for the confusion, not a real stat.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There is no correlation between overture and typein figures.

If you stop and think it actually means people are typing the full web address into a search engine rather than the browser bar.

Newbie stupidity is what it represents.

And if the newbies are typing it into a SE then chances are it will get typein's from the more sophisticated surfers.

It's a way to test and nothing more.

eddie1278

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
what i reall y want to know is does words that have high searches like 20,000 and up get type ins, even if you type them in with .com and you get 0 searches? I know you dont know for sure but what is your experiences?

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
generally anything with 1k and over will get typeins even if it doesn't show the .com

It's just the amount of them you can't tell with any accuracy.

However the higher the OT searches in general the higher the typein potential

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
From my experience it should be something like 1k for 2 or 3 typeins.

Originally posted by gmartfin
And to qualify that at 1 k around 1 typein a day would be what I expect.

eddie1278

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i registered trickedoutcars.com and codesforps2.com about 4 months ago and they avg. 20 type-ins a day. And they both came up alittle over 1,200 searches in overture. So the theory about 1,000 searches= 1 or 2 type-ins is out the window.

eddie1278

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i feel the only thing overture is good for, the higher the number searches the better, thats it, no other theories or thoughts about it. If its 80,000 searches and its not over 14 characters register it, and if it makes sense too. I rather risk 8$ for it.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
eddie, your on the right track with your last post..
FORGET about "type-ins" most people havent a clue what a natural type-in is anyways.

oveture search tools MAIN use is a tool to see a "rough" idea of the size of a market for whatever keyword or (product or service)

for example..lets say you want to MAKE templates for websites...

but you are not sure if their is realy a market or not for website templates...

go to overture typein the keyword/phrase..that people will actually use at their favorite search engine..
"website templates"

http://inventory.overture.com/d/searchinventory/suggestion/;$sessionid$KPX11WYAJ2FSGCQVLM4ASYQ

you see last month there were nearly 32,000 searchs for "website templates"...multiply that by 4 (so you get a ROUGH idea for all the major se's) you get an idea that every month their are maybe 120,000 searchs or so for the keyword "website templates"

very nice market...

keep in mind websitetemplates.com dosent show anyone searching using a supposed "typein" http://inventory.overture.com/d/searchinventory/suggestion/

websitetemplates.com available..reg it...

so we know no one is "typing " webtemplates.com in the browser..so it dosent matter if the .com is available or not..

go down the list..

websitetemplates.net

.biz
.info
etc..

dosent really matter..no matter what the so called "experts" tell you..

you are only interested in the the keyword "websitetemplates" as the main part of your domain..because it REFLECTS your product/service and again no matter what the so called "experts" tell you..your name reflecting you service/product DOES matter to the SE,s (and thats where 80% of your traffic is going to come from) .. granted using your main keyword as your domain is only one piece ... but every part matters..

You last statement is correct ..because it reflects the bottom line .. the SIZE of your potential market (or a rough idea of it at least)

"i feel the only thing overture is good for, the higher the number searches the better"

good luck..

BID
Posters.Biz

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks bidawinner.About time someone cleared that up.

What still surprises me is the belief in the typein myth.Which to me is a myth as (you already said it) most traffic still comes from the SE's and not from typeins.Sure its nice to have a name that gets typeins because its a .com (as most people if doing typeins AT ALL will type .com) but thats not the point.Point is the 100% matching of your domain with a highly searched keyword term for SEO reasons in my opinion.Not saying anything beats .com but you want it to be .com for other reasons than the typein myth only (like vanity ,memorable and such).

Another thing people often seem to mix up is "typein" with "unique visitor" or even worse,"hits".

A unique visitor can be a "typed in" OR coming from an SE or link, which means you can't say a site gets "xyz typeins a day" after you have already submitted/listed/linked it whereas you CAN say a site gets "xyz uniques a day". I believe even some of the "experts" are wrong when saying "looking for domains with minimum 500 typeins a day".What should be said in that moment is "minimum 500 uniques a day".Because there's no way how to EXACTLY figure out how many of your unique visitors are typeins and how many come from the SE's - one can only roughly guess if at all.

And then, in my understanding "hits" dont mean anything at all because with hits almost everything is counted as a hit,like every little .jpg on your site and such.

"Pageviews" IS of significance but only in terms of which pages of your site are more frequently visited than other pages of the same site.

uncle

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
One might also add bookmarks and the fact that some browsers and firewalls may be set to block referrer info sent to the sites, so the visits do look like type ins (or bookmarks).

Some people can by mistake take those hits as type ins, but that doesn't undermine the unquestionable high value of real type in names

hi beatz :)

MarkyMark

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
ahh, the old type-in discussion!

In my opinion type-in traffic is the traffic an undeveloped, unlinked domain would get.

I registered a never before registered domain a couple of days ago.

It gets about 50 unique type-ins a day and has overture estimate of 78. Not 78k, just 78.

It just made sense to me it would get type-ins and it did.

eddie1278

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
wow! markymark very informative, whats the name may i ask?

P

prasit

Originally posted by beatz

Because there's no way how to EXACTLY figure out how many of your unique visitors are typeins and how many come from the SE's - one can only roughly guess if at all.

write a script to check if the first visit comes from any site or not. so you have a very close number of type-ins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom