Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Usual court VS WIPO and vice versus

Status
Not open for further replies.

NameSniper.com

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am wondering,what if the respondent and the complainant are loacted in the same country,does teh usual court has a jurisdiction to judge the case?

And what if there is a WIPO decision can you protest it in a usual court or vice versus?

Also can a local ccTLD registrar refuse your right to renew your domain name if there was no court decision ?

Best Regards,
Namesniper

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
NameSniper.com said:
Hello everyone,
And what if there is a WIPO decision can you protest it in a usual court or vice versus?

Ideally a court decision takes precedence over a WIPO UDRP decision. But it
can work only if both parties are in the same area.

Search google for the barcelona.com case. That's one classic example.

NameSniper.com said:
Also can a local ccTLD registrar refuse your right to renew your domain name if there was no court decision ?

The best way to answer that is to check the ccTLD registrar's legal fine prints
to make sure. But AFAIK, every registrar has a right of refusal clause for any
reason they see fit.

NameSniper.com

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Good example and yes it will work only if both parties are in teh same country.

In my case,i own the country name.ccTLD and in case of issues "both parties will be loacted in the same country"

Any lawyers here?

As of ccTLD agreement then its so "unclear" that the governmant can use it in any way they need..

"By registration of your domain name on the Internet, the registrar,are accepting in good faith that you have the right to use such name. We will revoke domain if it is proved that the domain is being used to spam and/or otherwise used for any illegal or inappropriate purposes."

There is no case yet but i am just interesting...
Anything can be established as "being used to spam and/or otherwise used for any illegal or inappropriate purposes"

Best Regards

davezan1 said:

The best way to answer that is to check the ccTLD registrar's legal fine prints
to make sure. But AFAIK, every registrar has a right of refusal clause for any
reason they see fit.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

I have about zero idea what is meant by that.

First, whether the UDRP is at all relevant to a ccTLD question depends on the ccTLD.

Second, whether any particular court has competent jurisdiction over a domain name depends on the locations of the parties, the locations where the parties do business, the location of the hosting server, the location of the registrar, the location of the registry, the terms of the registration agreement, what the domain name has been used for, among other things that might uniquely bear on your particular situation.

There are three barcelona.com cases: the wipo decision, the district court decision, and the appellate court decision. What anyone might make of the results of a google search, and which part of the story they might find as a result, is anybody's guess.

NameSniper.com

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Second, whether any particular court has competent jurisdiction over a domain name depends on the locations of the parties, the locations where the parties do business, the location of the hosting server, the location of the registrar, the location of the registry, the terms of the registration agreement, what the domain name has been used for, among other things that might uniquely bear on your particular situation.

A comprehensive reply John!

jberryhill said:
I have about zero idea what is meant by that.

First, whether the UDRP is at all relevant to a ccTLD question depends on the ccTLD.

There are three barcelona.com cases: the wipo decision, the district court decision, and the appellate court decision. What anyone might make of the results of a google search, and which part of the story they might find as a result, is anybody's guess.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A comprehensive reply John!

What I'm trying to say is that an Englishman registering a .co.uk which is similar to an English trademark presents an entirely different situation from a Canadian registering a .ws which is similar to a Mexican trademark.

NameSniper.com

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes at least thats what i understood from your reply.

As of renewal,then it seems any regsitrar can refuse to renew the domain for a wide range of "reasons"

jberryhill said:
What I'm trying to say is that an Englishman registering a .co.uk which is similar to an English trademark presents an entirely different situation from a Canadian registering a .ws which is similar to a Mexican trademark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom