Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Value of 3 Char. .net/.org

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeeD

Soli Deo Gloria
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What is the value of 3 character .nets and .orgs?

Are there some that will be more valuable?

If they are not very valuable right now, will they be in a year or 2 or 3?

Does the order of letters/numbers matter?

Is 2 letter and 1 number better than 2 numbers and 1 letter?

Any opinions about these names will help!

JEsports

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The more letters the better I think. I guess it depends ... You can always do a search on the three characters in google and overture to see if it relates to a popular product that might get good traffic. Some are much better than others.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the majority are only worth regg fee.

some have value, depending on letter/number placement.

if you go and register all remaining possibilities, then value may increase! :)

LeeD

Soli Deo Gloria
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
biggedon said:
some have value, depending on letter/number placement.

biggedon said:
if you go and register all remaining possibilities, then value may increase! :)

1. what is the best letter/number placement?

2. LOL! Could there be a value to these in the future? If so, how far in the future?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I rode the 3-char .com banwagon a couple of years ago. The market is saturated. Still, there are a few nice combinations and even recent sales on Sedo.

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My opinion is that there is very little value, if any, in three character (mixed numbers and letters) .nets and .orgs, unless there is something special and meaningful about the combination, and even then the value is mostly going to be low.

I reckon that for well over 99% of mixed letters and numbers .orgs and .nets it will not be possible to sell them to resellers, and there will be hardly any endusers willing to buy them either.

>> 1. what is the best letter/number placement?

Personally I like Letter Letter Number, but only in .coms, and even then I am very selective.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I've sold more than 300 3-char domains and I can tell you, the gold rush is over. There was a time that those domains would sell on eBay like hotcakes, but not anymore.

pelican

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
personally i dont think 3 char domains valuable. unless it has meaning such as, mp3, a51.

i only have 1 3-char domain which i bought when i was totally new in this domain stuff.

to make my money worth, i develop it a little and it is generating some traffic.

Mr. Deleted

DNForum Mod
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have had 3 -4 letter/char. domains in the past. I had one that was doing ok, but I let it expire, and then it got reged, expired, and reged again! So som one else liked it but did not want to buy it from me. I have 4 -4 letter name now and just got *.org. Anyway I wish you best of luck with them.

As they say, it is only worth somthing if there is a type in or search engine value to the name.

J

JFreeden

three char. names can be valuable. You can get mid to high xxx for most of them. Now three letter domains are a different story, they are about 10 x more valuable than three char. names.

Hope that helps:)

Kind Regards,

Jason F.

LeeD

Soli Deo Gloria
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Noone has answered this question though...

"If they are not very valuable right now, will they be in a year or 2 or 3?"

Honan

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
CrazyEightyEight said:
Noone has answered this question though...

"If they are not very valuable right now, will they be in a year or 2 or 3?"
If we knew that, there would be none left

Mr. Deleted

DNForum Mod
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That can depent on a lot of things... The economy, the internet's users, and companies with similar letters in their name play in. If there are no users to type in xyz.com then xyz.com is useless.

So yeah they could be worth sothing then, or not, but I say down the road that could be worth a few hundred bucks

Honan

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mail3K.com said:
That can depent on a lot of things... The economy, the internet's users, and companies with similar letters in their name play in. If there are no users to type in xyz.com then xyz.com is useless.

So yeah they could be worth sothing then, or not, but I say down the road that could be worth a few hundred bucks
For net/org?

LeeD

Soli Deo Gloria
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
JOEMART - in 1-2 years won't all of the 3 character domains for .net/.org be bought up? If so, how does that play in?

Honan

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
CrazyEightyEight said:
JOEMART - in 1-2 years won't all of the 3 character domains for .net/.org be bought up? If so, how does that play in?
Only if you buy them all
IMHO LLN dot com is a much better ROI
300% in 6 months
Radi can confirm

Mr. Deleted

DNForum Mod
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I read the question, I know he said .net and .org I was just saying like exemple.com...

http://xyz.com/: XYZ Consulting
http://www.xyz.net/: Dear Valued ACS Customer
http://xyz.org/: Treasure Quest

I still like.com best but used properly, .net and .org can be good. But as far as putting a number in with 2 letters, I their are too many available right now, and that diminishes their value somewhat. Does not mean that in the futher they will be worthless...

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
CrazyEightyEight said:

hey dude

you seem to be asking for something no one can predict.

and no one is going to tell you which specific letters or numbers, at any placement structure is valuable!

use the past, to gauge the future.

there is no value, in an unregistered domain

these types are still dropping, so the owners see no interest

Mr. Deleted

DNForum Mod
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
biggedon said:
hey dude

you seem to be asking for something no one can predict.

and no one is going to tell you which specific letters or numbers, at any placement structure is valuable!

use the past, to gauge the future.

there is no value, in an unregistered domain

these types are still dropping, so the owners see no interest

So true, and that is like going to a furtune teller.

However most of the 1 letter domains were retired cause of people not wanting to pay a reg fee for them and letting them expire... Now that same thing is happening to 2 letter .orgs. Now there are only 3 - 1letter .coms and I donno how many .net/.orgs.

If we let to many 2 letter .orgs go then the value of the few remaining will go up... But those that let their name go will wish they had not.

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As an example, someone could buy 100 available arbitary letter number .com mixture and, if lucky, cover their costs, and or possibly make a 100% profit in, say 1 year.

Not a very good rate of return by domain standards.

To buy 100 available arbitary letter number .orgs or .nets, the chances of even recovering the investment in a year or two is very remote.

I think the money tied up for all that time (1,2,3,4 or however many years) can be better invested in other sorts of domains.

Many of us have seen the argument that 4 letter .coms are rare and therefore have an inherent value, and experience shows this is false.

I think the same happened for three letter mixed letter number .coms and this is also pretty much false.

If you take the value of .orgs and .nets as 10% to 40% of the .com value, then this would be pretty clearly a poor investment of money.

How many profit making companies (or high profile non-profits) use 3 character mixed letter combination .nets or .orgs? I think the answer must be very few when compared to non-mixed domains.

I have had some luck with mixed number letter.coms, but these were very carefully selected and I always had to pay some sort of a premium in order to acquire them. They weren't available domains.

Have we convinced you yet that there is no value in these names unless they have some special characteristc (e.g. name of product, company etc) and that there is unlikely to be in the near future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom