Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

VB Upgrade Sux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honan

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Without "View Today's Active Threads" DNF is diminished as a resource and forum
Currently View new posts gives me 12 threads.
Sadly, there is not much fun in reading only 12 posts in 24 hours
Advanced search is no help in finding what has been posted in the last 24 hours
And another thing....
I posted "Sold" in a for sale thread today intending to buy a name
The response I got was that the message was too short
Bet the seller didn't think it was too short.
Gee, I feel better already knowing the VB upgrade has inconvenienced at least one other member.
A question:
Is there a way to turn off those annoying questions about receipts when sending or receiving PMs?

Upvote 0

system0

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
no problem mate
with regards to you typing SOLD and it saying it wasnt long enough

this is a good thing and a bad thing

one one of my forums i had a guy who would literally write 2 words per post - he had hundreds of posts and i think the longest post he ever wrote was "yeah thats a great site"

making a minimum character limit per post stops people like this ruining a forum with poor posts and should encourage better posts.

Obviously, when you just need to reply yes or no or whatever it can be a severe pain.

The default for vbulletin 3 is 10 characters per post - anything less and you should get that message. It can be changed in the admin panel but im assuming its still at the default of 10 here

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
anyweb said:
Without "View Today's Active Threads" DNF is diminished as a resource and forum

I feel the same way, my visits are even more shorter now...

Mike

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Please try to remember that the previous version of VB used by DNForum had many different hacks added over time. Upgrading to VB3 was an important upgrade decision which in the long term will benefit us all, even ignoring all of the many additonal features.
Of course replacing all of the hacks and getting everything to run smoothly for everyone takes time and the work needs to be prioritised so some things naturally end up at the end of the list.
PM receipt requests are likely to be turned off in the future and no doubt the "message too short" will be attended to, but I'm sure that you will agree that these are really just annoyances rather than important issues.
We will see if attending to these items and the "getdaily" link can be brought forward.

Honan

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mr W
VB Upgrade is cool , only a b. idiot would say otherwise
Now I have http://www.dnforum.com/search.php?do=getdaily , thanks to Fonz, I have changed my mind about the upgrade.
VB Upgrade is grouse ummmm.....err...I mean cool, or even hot!!
Luv it
Still prefer Carlton over VB, though perhaps that preference belongs in the pub not the dnf

system0

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
right - i didnt think this was bothering a lot of people but it seems to be so here goes

for the dnforum admin

go to style options, then edit templates, find a template called navbar which is under the Navigation / Breadcrumb Templates section

you will see a section like this

<if condition="$show['member']">
<td class="vbmenu_control"><a href="search.php?$session[sessionurl]do=getnew">$vbphrase[new_posts_nav]</a></td>
<else />
<td class="vbmenu_control"><a href="search.php?$session[sessionurl]do=getdaily">$vbphrase[todays_posts]</a></td>
</if>

all you need to do is switch the two statements round like so

<if condition="$show['member']">
<td class="vbmenu_control"><a href="search.php?$session[sessionurl]do=getdaily">$vbphrase[todays_posts]</a></td>
<else />
<td class="vbmenu_control"><a href="search.php?$session[sessionurl]do=getnew">$vbphrase[new_posts_nav]</a></td>
</if>

now this appears twice - so you will update both parts (the other section is for if popups are enabled)

it also appears under the quick links section under new posts - its up to you whether to update that

hope this helps :)

system0

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
its just like anything anyweb - its just getting used to it
as for discussion boards out there vb3 has the most features and after using about 6 different forums for various sites theres no contest - vb wins

also - dnforum have one of the best vb3 skins that i have seen

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom