Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Verified Section for DNForum

Status
Not open for further replies.

domaingenius

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would suggest that there should be a 100% verified section in
DNForum where members MUST verify themselves before joining .Could
be snail mail sent to members address (even overseas would not
cost much and speed does not matter) . Then could sign and
fax back the form. Or something along same lines that is secure,
much more secure than say credit card numbers.

Maybe even a simple photocopy of passport faxed to DNforum would be
easier along with a Utility bill like Gas,Electric etc. ?.

Could then see how that goes and if it works then could expand
verification to sales sections to make more secure.

DG

Upvote 0

mark

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Passport copies previously discussed but too much potential liability to dnforum.com
Groups with similiar ties to each other here in the US via an organization like adjusters, repo guys, some fraternal organizations etc. usually offer surety bond coverage at a discounted rate to their members to cover malfeasance by any individual member in addition to their regular liability insurance. This is something that may have already been looked into for dnforum members, but not known at this time. It's a much greater form of verification than is currently used here, but not sure if possible due to the international nature of this forum.

domaingenius

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes it is a hard call. It might replace one problem with another. Will
think some more.

DG

RTM.net

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, regardless of how many verification mechanisms DNF puts in place, I don't think it will be a total solution to fraud or touchy transactions.

I think it is, as always, caveat emptor on all parties concerned - DNF history, membership level and transaction rep, PayPal status, verifying the members' standing on other communities (and pure aftermarket sites) have to be considered on a whole.

After all, a member could be Platinum or Exclusive here, verified DNF, have 200 transactions... yet have their account stolen or hijacked.

No point in becoming paranoid, but I prefer to check into multiple sources before making a final decision on how to close with a buyer or seller.

Rob

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have a SSL certificate issued in my name. Would it be acceptable ? ;)

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have a SSL certificate issued in my name. Would it be acceptable ? ;)

Sorry Kate but the answer is no: :)

Remember one thing: It does not matter how you verify a member. The verification is only good "at the time of the verification". If someone hacked your account 2 minutes after that and gain access to your email, registrars, etc.. then the verification mean nothing.

As stated from other threads, I believe it is not practical to do this.

As always, members should be diligent with all the transactions.

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So what is the point of verification then, Johnn? I have gone to the trouble myself as I thought it would mean something to anyone who wanted to deal with me.

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
To build trust and reputation with other members.

The OP recommended to verify all NEW Members to prevent scam. There are 2 different stories and purposes.

liberator

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Heres what I would do as part of the verification process. Once the account is verified, make the member supply 3-5 questions and answers. When a verified account logs in, it checks for a cookie which would be set by the forum, by name and by validating it, for instance an md5 encryption of the ip address and a static figure.

If the cookie is not found or is not valid, it means the member has not used dnf from that computer. We would then show them their secret question, once answered correctly we would set the cookie on that computer and set it never to expire.

Basically every time they use a computer that hasn't been used by them to enter the forum they need to answer additional authentication questions

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, it was my own choice, and I have to say that I would prefer to deal with verified members myself, new or old. Apart from this, I haven't had any dealings yet on DNForum that can add to my reputation or trustworthiness. But I live in hope. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom