Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Verisign To Convert 50,000 Idn.com Transliterations To Idn.コム

GO1

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Verisign's to convert 50,000 IDN.com's to IDN .コム

Business Goals

Our goal is for JAPANESE_TRANSLITERATION_OF_.COM to operate as a best-in-class IDN registry.
Although the JAPANESE_TRANSLITERATION_OF_.COM gTLD is distinct from the .com gTLD in the
DNS, we plan to provide a similar high quality of service that users of .com have come to expect.

The first step in this process is to ensure that, like .com, JAPANESE_TRANSLITERATION_OF_.COM
operates at the highest level of availability, stability, and security. The
JAPANESE_TRANSLITERATION_OF_.COM gTLD is rooted in the same world-class infrastructure that
supports .com and .net at the highest level of operational excellence. Users and registrants have
extremely high expectations of .com, and we leverage the full capability of our infrastructure and
operational expertise to ensure that JAPANESE_TRANSLITERATION_OF_.COM meets these
expectations from the moment of its launch.

The initial target audience for JAPANESE_TRANSLITERATION_OF_.COM is the registrants of the
approximately 50,000 IDN second-level addresses in .com. These registrants will have the opportunity to
register their IDN.com addresses as IDN. JAPANESE_TRANSLITERATION_OF_.COM addresses.

The secondary target market for JAPANESE_TRANSLITERATION_OF_.COM is the current registrants of
ASCII domain name addresses who may be doing business in Japan or other regions with a high number
of Japanese speakers. The JAPANESE_TRANSLITERATION_OF_.COM gTLD provides these
registrants a ready-made solution to localize their online identity while still maintaining the continuity of
their .com addresses.

Finally, we are committed to working with registrars to perform outreach in Japan and elsewhere to reach
potential new registrants who are interested in establishing a new
JAPANESE_TRANSLITERATION_OF_.COM domain name.

Last edited:

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Isn't this from their original application 2 years ago?
Is any of this new?

GO1

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My contacts tell me to expect a fall announcement.
Something to do with "low new domain revenue projections causing a stir at the home office."

Just connecting the dots for anyone on dnforum who is still interested in IDN's.
Looks like my prediction (on dnforum) back in March 2013 turned out to be accurate.

Verisign's lucrative '.COM' Business Model is Threatened by new gTLD Rollout.
March 2013

http://www.dnforum.com/threads/veri...del-is-threatened-by-new-gtld-rollout.503876/

Last edited:

jmcc

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My contacts tell me to expect a fall announcement.
Something to do with "low new domain revenue projections causing a stir at the home office."

Just connecting the dots for anyone on dnforum who is still interested in IDN's.
Looks like my prediction (on dnforum) back in March 2013 turned out to be accurate.

Verisign's lucrative '.COM' Business Model is Threatened by new gTLD Rollout.
March 2013

http://www.dnforum.com/threads/veri...del-is-threatened-by-new-gtld-rollout.503876/
Not really. The new gTLD rollout has very little to do with what is happening in .COM at the moment. Its monthly net increase in registrations has been declining for the last few months. There are other far more powerful trends (the shift from COM to ccTLD) that are causing problems for COM/NET/ORG.

Regards...jmcc

GO1

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
  • Verisign is listed as being associated with .com .net and .name - .org?? - has a different sponsoring Organisation??
  • The total number of TLD's not associated with Verisign from the IANA.org root zone db list is staggering.

They must have a plan B.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom