Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

VeriSign to File Antitrust Suit Against Internet Body

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This was posted over at NP thought I would bring it over.

SAN FRANCISCO -- In a move that could spur changes in how important aspects of the Internet's technical workings are managed, VeriSign Inc. (NasdaqNM:VRSN - News) said it plans Thursday to file a broad antitrust lawsuit against the Internet Corp. for Assigned Names and Numbers, or Icann, the U.S.-government sanctioned group that oversees the address system that helps Internet traffic find its destination.

http://biz.yahoo.com/djus/040226/1629001168_1.html

chatcher

Crazy Chuck
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This has to be a nightmare for ICANN. Verisign has deep pockets and lawsuits can burn a lot of cash very quickly. Verisign ran Sitefinder long enough to establish how much money it made, and now it's been shut down long enough to run up an enormous amount of "lost revenue". If ICANN loses, the actual damages could be staggering.

I'm not a big fan of ICANN or Verisign and I'm not even sure how I want the story to end. But whichever way it goes, the Internet will never be the same again.

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The only reason I see in them doing this is if they foresee not getting their next marketing scheme passed.

namedropper

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Verisign has a lot of freaking balls. ICANN finally stands up to them in one of the few times they ever did over a case where Verisign was clearly out of line and now they want to sue over it.

Here's hoping Verisign gets thoroughly and totally crushed, and that ICANN moves the master database away from Verisign as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom