Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Verisign's redemption period...

Status
Not open for further replies.

com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am not sure i understand it all clearly... NameWinner is saying the redemtion is on and that all drops are postponed, etc.

Can anyone clear this up? What are we looking at here?

com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

DotComster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
The drops have stopped, almost. There are still a few hundred daily drops ( http://www.exody.com/whois-search/expired.txt )

A higher percentage of .Orgs to.

I'm no expert at NameWinner, but I think they just thought it best to lay low during Feburary - it really is a weird month for expireing domains.

com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

damn... that means an extra 30 days on top of what we alrady have... so much for drop-catching services. This will surely knock them out. A good % of snaps are placed in the hopes of the origian owner forgetting or missing the expiration period, with an extra 30 days through which the owner can renew, hopes will drop to a new low, hence snap business will slowly die out...

chatcher

Crazy Chuck
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I doubt the new grace period will have much effect, other than delaying the drops. Once an expired domain name makes it through a few days of registrar hold (inactivity), in addition to whatever expiration notices the registrar sent, the owner must not care if it's down. Those that wait until the last possible minute to renew (a month or so past expiration) for cash flow reasons won't wait into the redemption period because it's much more expensive to redeem than to renew.

I think we're all just getting a needed vacation (and a much more useful registry whois service).

The grace period will be good for Snapnames because each snapback slot will be tied up for a longer period of time, and there will be more time for people to figure out domain names are expiring.

com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Its not the longer wait, its the fact that no matter how much of a price difference between the renewal and redemption, redemption does give the owner and extra chance to get the name back. Dont get me wrong, i dont want to take names used by legit businesses. If the owner simply forgot or due to technical reasons was unable to renew, i think they should get a redemption period. I am only for taking names which were not intended for development or where development was canceled.

Diogenes

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
snapnames.com is the big winner in all this, while dropwized and namewinner have to sweat it out until the hold on deletions begin again.

The right thing for Snapnames to do would be to have a grace period, but since they're in bed with NSI how ethical could they be?

D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom