Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Verisign's response to GoDaddy's WLS letter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by nameslave Here's Verisign (Com Net Registry)'s response to GoDaddy's earlier letter to ICANN regarding WLS.

I agree with Verisign's response. Everything they say seems correct. This post will cause negativity as there are some people here who hate WLS for various reasons, including their dislike of Verisgn NetSol getting any more money (not a valid reason even though I too dislike NetSol as much or more than anyone).

Bring on WLS as it seems to me that it will level the playing field so we all can possibly get good names, not only Buydomains and a few others who have costly methods and advanced technology others do not enjoy, but with WLS we will all be equal.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
How come some people still have the illusion WLS "will level the playing field" ?!

I mean, get real.

Although it has been said numerous times:

In the first 30 minutes on the first day of WLS the likes of BD,Ult, etc. - basically all the big players - will buy 10000's of WLS subscriptions.

Because

- they have to to stay competitive
- they simply can afford it.

Whereas you and me

- simply can't afford it.

So even if that scenario might take a little longer than 30 minutes, say maybe a week (although i highly doubt it), you will be VERY lucky if you manage to grab more than 1 or 2 decent subscriptions if at all.

If anyone still doesn't get it:

This translates into "NO MORE DROPPING NAMES FOR YOU."
Except the ones that drop and dont have a WLS on them.

How high do you think will be the chance this is gonna happen - a great name dropping and no WLS on it ?!

As already now it rarely happens a great name drops and there is NO SNAP on it - and uh, who in most cases owns the snap already btw ?

You might have an idea already how WLS will feel like from the last couple of weeks - as since the whole drop market at the moment kind of divides between SN and NW (few exceptions included) and as the droplists have become common knowledge more and more the only guys that get something decent are either the ones that already own the snap (BD,Ult and a few others) or the ones that can afford the NW high bid.

In other words, not you and me.

WLS will be like that - just even harder.
As what is the NW high bid now will simply be the NUMBER of WLS subscriptions someone can afford then.

The only ones that can afford that will be the big players.

So basically that again means WLS will be a matter of MONEY even more than it is now with the current system.

Actually WLS is like a big Snap, just the differences are

- There will be no alternative like NW is now
- WLS will be the ONLY way to catch a drop

You see.

END OF GAME.

Really, anyone who doesn't see this is willingly closing their eyes in denial of reality.

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey, Real Names... I can't remember, do you know if Verisign had provisions for current owners obtaining the WLS sub from someone else on a name they own? As a sort of "drop" protection? I can't remember.

~ Nexus

jquail

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance but what exactly is the Waiting List Service? Or rather what would it be if it was implemented?

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For others who are not particularly familiar with this WLS thingy, here's some background reading to catch up with:

http://www.icann.org/bucharest/wls-topic.htm

Estimated reading time: 10 hours minimum :D (make sure you follow every link)

Y

_Yakov_

Yup, NetSol knows how to build an argument. With such a strong defence alond with support by a number of registrars, they'll implement the wsl during their first meeting.

Y

_Yakov_

Originally posted by beatz
How come some people still have the illusion WLS "will level the playing field" ?!

I mean, get real.

Although it has been said numerous times:

In the first 30 minutes on the first day of WLS the likes of BD,Ult, etc. - basically all the big players - will buy 10000's of WLS subscriptions.

Because

- they have to to stay competitive
- they simply can afford it.

Whereas you and me

- simply can't afford it.

So even if that scenario might take a little longer than 30 minutes, say maybe a week (although i highly doubt it), you will be VERY lucky if you manage to grab more than 1 or 2 decent subscriptions if at all.

If anyone still doesn't get it:

This translates into "NO MORE DROPPING NAMES FOR YOU."
Except the ones that drop and dont have a WLS on them.

How high do you think will be the chance this is gonna happen - a great name dropping and no WLS on it ?!

As already now it rarely happens a great name drops and there is NO SNAP on it - and uh, who in most cases owns the snap already btw ?

You might have an idea already how WLS will feel like from the last couple of weeks - as since the whole drop market at the moment kind of divides between SN and NW (few exceptions included) and as the droplists have become common knowledge more and more the only guys that get something decent are either the ones that already own the snap (BD,Ult and a few others) or the ones that can afford the NW high bid.

In other words, not you and me.

WLS will be like that - just even harder.
As what is the NW high bid now will simply be the NUMBER of WLS subscriptions someone can afford then.

The only ones that can afford that will be the big players.

So basically that again means WLS will be a matter of MONEY even more than now with the current system.

You see.

END OF GAME.

Really, anyone who doesn't see this is willingly closing their eyes in denial of reality.

Whatever there is beatz, it's better to prepaire to compete then to whin. ;) I doubt that the industry will be monopolized in the first days, there is always a way to compete.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well Yakov i dont whine - just trying to make clear what will go on.
Sure there are always ways to compete - but this will be reduced to trying to buy the name from current owner before it drops.
Or maybe there will be a secondary market for selling&buying "used" WLS subscriptions.
But you bet BD&Co won't sell THEIRS .

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Nexus Hey, Real Names... I can't remember, do you know if Verisign had provisions for current owners obtaining the WLS sub from someone else on a name they own? As a sort of "drop" protection? I can't remember. ~ Nexus

---- "In the first 30 minutes on the first day of WLS the likes of BD,Ult, etc. - basically all the big players - will buy 10000's of WLS subscriptions. - Beatz

Sorry, I do not know. A good question.

Regarding what Beatz said about all the good WLS's going right away to the likes of buydomains. I can't see that happening as I seriously doubt BD will want to shell out all that money in advance when there is only a very minor chance the name will ever drop.

WLS will increse their costs by an incredible amount. They don't mind doing some Snaps now as they can move the Snaps around to different names, something they will not be able to do with WLS. They also do relatively few Snaps anyway, with WLS they will be forced to do a WLS on every name they want, rather than only occasional Snaps as they do now, still another reason I doubt big players will participate much except on names they have inside knowledge will drop.

P.S. Beatz, what happened to that Sears real estate name you offered to sell, the one I sent all the PM's about?

DomainGoon

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
WLS is bad for just about everyone except Verisign. If you don't see that now, you will if it launches.

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As long as WLS slots require $$$ to buy, who's got most $$$ can buy the most WLS slots, and get the most dropped names statistically.

Even if a small guy managed to get the WLS slot for a great name, he can still lose. If the name is _really good_, do you think Buydomains/Ultsearch or anybody else would do nothing? It only takes one person to email/phone the owner to get the domain renewed. Remember recently who bid 27K for motherboard.com (Ultsearch) or 10K for jca.com (Buydomains)? I'm sure the owner will renew the domain seeing a 27K or 10K offer.

So it's all about $$$ in the end, but the money would go to Verisign and some forgetful domain owners.

M

mole

The question is no longer how or why, buy WHEN?

Bring on the WLS!

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole The question is no longer how or why, buT WHEN? Bring on the WLS!

Hi Mole, I think you and I may be mostly alone in support of WLS on the forums.

It seems everyone else is satisfied to let BD and ULT dominate the market as they do.

M

mole

Originally posted by RealNames
It seems everyone else is satisfied to let BD and ULT dominate the market as they do.

Agreed, Ults and BD are terrified of the WLS. They will still hold an advantage over RRP deals that can be used for WLS first-strikes because of their financial clout, but the overall cost of acquisition will jump dramatically. This doesn't bode well for profitability.

MillerTyme

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Hi Mole, I think you and I may be mostly alone in support of WLS on the forums.

You can add me to the list too.
Only question is, when is the soonest WLS subscriptions will offically begin being taken ?

DomainGoon

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

You think they won't dominate even more after WLS?

Their share will increase substantially if WLS happens.

Those who support WLS will be in for a big shock.

If someone can't figure out how to compete under the current system, they will never be able to compete.

M

mole

Originally posted by DomainGoon
If someone can't figure out how to compete under the current system, they will never be able to compete.

True. Goes for everything else besides just dropped domains.

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For those in support of WLS answer me one question. If Netsol can't manage the system they have now how in the hell will they ever be able to manage a new one? I can't even imagine the screwups that will occur with this service. I only see this as a way for them to get the $35 bucks a year they're losing at a very rapid pace because of their poor customer service. I also see there being a major uprizing from the likes of snapnames and NW when it comes down to it. There's to much money being made by them to just set back and let it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom