Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Verizon Sues Parked.com & DirectNic For Cybersquatting on Over 600 Domain Names

Status
Not open for further replies.

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In a complaint filed in Los Angeles federal court, Verizon accuses “serial cybersquatters” Parked.com and registrar DNLtd of controlling more than 660 websites. The complaint says their unidentified owners used shell companies as part of a scheme to collect ad revenue when users seeking Verizon landed on these sites by mistake.

http://paidcontent.org/article/419-verizon-says-more-than-600-websites-used-in-cybersquatting-scam/

It's about time people in our industry pay for profiting from TM Domains.

chipmeade

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I do not condone Cybersquatting. Verizon is within their rights to stop these squatters. What I find interesting is how they vilify those who profit off others TM yet do it themselves on a much larger scale via their "DNS Assistance Service". For their isp customers, this service serves up a yahoo ad page, related to your input, when you type the wrong address (or any non working domain) into the browser. They also have ad links to their own products as well. Just as slimy if you ask me.

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

It's about time people in our industry pay for profiting from TM Domains.

These squatters tarnish the reputation of every domainer. I'm busy in the startup scene these days, and whenever I mention that I have experience as a domainer, I get *that* look, all because of how this industry is perceived to be full of scamming, scheming squatters.

TM domains have no place in any respectable domainer's portfolio. Money shouldn't be greater than integrity.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think a reason domainers get very low offers is because of a bad stereotype and reputation they have (partly over trademark names) which may preclude more reasonable offers.

When I read about cases like this I always wonder exactly what were they thinking? Not only parked.com and directnic but others too with 100s or 1000s of trademark domains.

Why they did it but not just because of the obvious risk of a huge lawsuit but also the issue of how in the world could the vast majority of these worthless names get enough traffic and revenue to pay the high renewal fees? After reading the list I would estimate more than 90% get basically no traffic. It all makes no sense.

P.S. It would be most welcome if Donny from Voodoo.com could talk about this since I am sure he was familiar with these domains while he ran parked.com

Last edited:

seek99

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i think this firms are going too far not fair for domainers and Net company they not win this case.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's not just domainers as individuals who have a bad rep, it's the whole industry: auction houses, registrars, registries etc.
And Icann doesn't really regulate things as it should, or as it is expected to.

Take those incessant spams, like "You own starwatchers.com, you must be interested in st-arwatchers.net that is dropping soon". Even domainers are sick of them.
Even on this very forum there are members who think it's okay to spam.

Now put yourself in the shoes of an end user. How can they possibly think what 'we' are doing is legitimate ?
In the eyes of Joe Public we are bottom-feeders and the scum of the Internet. Sad but that's the way it is.
It's not just a matter of perception, there actually is something rotten in our industry.
This lawsuit is more bad publicity for domainers.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Take those incessant spams, like "You own starwatchers.com, you must be interested in st-arwatchers.net that is dropping soon". Even domainers are sick of them..

Right, they are quite annoying and a reason for the bad reputation in general of this industry. I get about a dozen or so a day like that, most all are worthless, nonsensical and weird combinations of letters and hyphens or extensions similar to names I already own. Those ongoing heavy spams started within the past few mos. In all likelihood done by a domainer and member of this forum.

silentg

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just sent Verizon's attorneys a cease and desist letter and I demaded they turn over the profits they made when people were trying to reach my web sites and they diverted them to a landing page.

that's hilarious if you did do it. Taste of their own medicine. Rogers and Bell hijack typo traffic in Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom