Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Victory over Jets.com and Dolphins.com!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks to attorney member Steve Sturgeon's excellent response letter to the NFL, the NFL is backing down. :)

I would have been saddled with big legal expenses otherwise.

I highly recommend Steve Sturgeon for domain disputes.

Great job Steve. :)

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Excellent news! :)

Great job Steve.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Great! Simple common sense would tell you the NFL has no right to those generic names. Glad Steve was able to articulate that in a way that got their attention. Congrats Greg & Steve.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Warning: The NFL attorneys copied the entire appraisal thread for Jets.com and Dolphins.com from DNF in their letter to Steve.

DNForum.com is no longer a secret. :)

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Either "jets.com" or "dolphins.com" by itself is perfectly generic, usable for a site relating to airplanes or marine mammals respectively. However, the same person owning both of them gets more suspicious with regard to NFL trademarks, and if their content is football-related, it could be a trademark violation.

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I vaguely remember a MAD magazine parody from the '70s (I think), that had an article claiming that the NFL was going to sue airlines over the use of the word "jets", aquariums over "dolphins", and the Catholic Church over "saints". Life so often ends up imitating MAD...

hiOsilver

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Greg & Steve,

Congratulations! Can you post any of the correspondence on this thread?

KatieBeez

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
but I would love to see the response letter myself.

NexSite

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good thing greg doesn't own Sturgeon.com.

cluelessdomainer

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
hmmmm, sell NFL NY Jets items on a site called www.jets.com and be free from legal issues from the NFL? And get away with it? i will believe it when i see NFL's acknowledgement in writing, not until then. certainly not some unsubstatiated posting by a profit grabbing member.

if what gregr says is true, it establishes a legal precedent for someone to own windows.com and sell software and get away with it with microsoft's approval. like that is gonna happen.....

not a lawyer, but I am betting j. berryhill and other lawyers on this forum would agree using jets.com as gregr is/has would not survive a day in court.

real lawyers comment?

ps. funny how gregr claims 'victory' but shows no proof or any contest occurring at all for that matter. maybe he has been getting his information from the iraqi information minister ;)

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It appears that jets.com now has content relating to jet airplanes, and dolphins.com has content relating to porpoises... not all that much content (just a small logo graphic and a small number of links), but nothing infringing on the football trademarks.

M

mole

Impressive. If this guy can wrangle his client out of internet.biz.

HOWARD

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If JETS.COM sells licensed NY JETS materials or if DOLPHINS.COM sells MIAMI DOLPHINS paraphernalia, the user WILL BE SUED by the NFL -- GUARANTEED!!

LawyerSturgeon

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the nice comments.

Although I would like to respond to specific questions about our victory with JETS.COM and DOLPHINS.COM, we all need to be careful about the information that we post on this forum. As Gregr said above, “Warning” The posts on this forum are not private. Your opposition may be monitoring the forum – and may use any comments against you.

For example, in gregr’s case regarding JETS.COM and DOLPHINS.COM, the NFL enclosed with their threatening letter a complete printout of a thread from this forum – in an attempt to prove one of the issues. Anything that you post may be used against you.

Although I would like to post all of the correspondence here, there are a number of reasons that it would be inadvisable. I will be glad to talk with anyone individually.

In general however, I would note that in responding to the threats it is important to demonstrate strength – i.e., a number of previous victories against the big guys and the ability to litigate quickly in the important Virginia courts (which have jurisdiction over the registry database of all .com, .net and .org domain names). The big guys do not want to take a chance on losing a case and having a precedent against them - that can be used by others.

Steve

Stephen H. Sturgeon, Esquire
DomainNameDisputeLawyers.com

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Although it's true that anything you say can be used against you, the type of people who hang around these sorts of forums just aren't usually the sort to exercise their right to remain silent... :)

EmDub

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Question for the group, and SteveSturgeon in particular, I suppose.

Pretend that I want to sell Miami Dolphins merchandise. Can "Dolphins" be part of the site's name, as long as it's not the entire name? In other words, could I use DolphinsJerseys.com or DolphinsLunchboxes.com? Or it that a no-no? How about Major Leage Baseball? How about the NBA?

Isn't life fun when it's all pretend? :)

Michael

LawyerSturgeon

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It depends on a lot of considerations - and the disposition of the panelist in the case. There are cases decided both ways.

I will be glad to talk with you individually about pretend issues - or real issues - or we can even pretend to talk :)

Steve

Stephen H. Sturgeon, Esquire
DomainNameDisputeLawyers.com

Ari Goldberger

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
>Pretend that I want to sell Miami Dolphins merchandise. >Can "Dolphins" be part of the site's name, as long as it's not the >entire name? In other words, could I use DolphinsJerseys.com ?>or DolphinsLunchboxes.com? Or it that a no-no? How about >Major Leage Baseball? How about the NBA?

Michael-

I researched this issue a couple of years ago in the context of numerous domain name registrations containing sports team names. I obviously cannot provide the details of the specific names involved, but I can provide some general points.

Although the professional sports organizations are likely to complain in any event, the law appears to be that the use of the domain names in the way you suggest is permissible under trademark law, provided there is nothing that implies endorsement or association with the professional team or organization. It would be best to have a prominent disclaimer of any such association.

While UDRP decisions have gone both ways, there is good federal case law precedent holding that there is a 1st amendment fair use right to use a trademark name in connection with the sale of goods and services, where:

i) use of the mark is necessary; ii) only so much of the mark as necessary is used; and iii) there is nothing suggesting an affiliation with the mark-holder.

In New Kids on the Block v. New America Pub., 971 F.2d 302 (9th Cir. 1992), the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that USA Today was permitted to use the "New Kids on the Block" trademark for the purposes of operating a fan poll (as to who was the Best Kid on the Block) which charged callers 50 cents each time they called in to a 900 number. The court specifically held that the New Kids on the Block did not have the right to "control their fans' use of their own money." In the sports context, the Court specifically noted that, at times, it is difficult not to use a trademark when referring to a particular entity. The court stated "one might refer to 'the two-time world champions' or 'the professional basketball team from Chicago,' but it is far simpler (and more likely understood) to refer to the Chicago Bulls."

Another case is also helpful: National Football League v. Governor of State of Delaware, 435 F.Supp. 1372 (D. Del. 1977). There, the State of Delaware operated a lottery in which it listed Sunday's scheduled football games. Although the State only used the team's city names (e.g. Philadelphia v. Baltimore), they were clearly referring to the NFL teams and the NFL's allegation was that the State was profiting off of the NFL. Ruling in favor of the State, the Court noted:

"It is true that Delaware is thus making profits it would not make but for the existence of the NFL, but I find this difficult to distinguish from the multitude of charter bus companies who generate profit from servicing those of plaintiffs' fans who want to go to the stadium or, indeed, the sidewalk popcorn salesman who services the crowd as it surges towards the gate."

The Court only ordered the State to include a disclaimer stating that the lottery was not associated or authorized by NFL.

BOTTOM LINE:
Although I am comfortable stating that the law supports your right to use the hypothetical domain names in the manner you suggest, I completely agree with Howard that if you sold this merchandise, the professional organizations would likely come after you. You would likely need a huge war chest to fight them. These guys have tons of money and their trademarks are among their most valuable assets. Unfortunately, being right is only a small part of this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom