Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Warning - BuyDomains Unauthorized Transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopNames.com

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
BuyDomains is trying to start transfers on domains I own. I got this email today:

"BuyDomains.com recently received a request to change the registrar of your domain names listed below. This process adds 1 year(s) to each domain's expiration date, and switches control of the domains from your current registrar to BuyDomains.com. Switching to BuyDomains.com gives you many benefits, including award-winning customer service, hassle-free contact updates, toll-free telephone support, and friendly, personalized service."

It also provided a link to a transfer URL.

When I wrote them and asked them why I got this transfer...this was their response:

"If you do not wish to transfer to us then disregard the email we sent. Nothing can be done to your domain without your consent."

So now BuyDomains is either:

1 - Hijacking domains
or
2 - Starting transfers without the owners consent.

Either way, BuyDomains is doing unethical things.

Domain summit 2024

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That kind of response would tick me off. Maybe try them again and see what they say. If they give you the same response, start putting in transfers on blocks of 50 of their best names at a time. When they complain, send them a copy of their response. I'd think it would drive them nuts.

I know, I know 2 wrongs don't make a right, but I'd love to see BFD eat some of their own arrogance.
Doc

Cash Is King

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Stocdoctor said:
That kind of response would tick me off. Maybe try them again and see what they say. If they give you the same response, start putting in transfers on blocks of 50 of their best names at a time. When they complain, send them a copy of their response. I'd think it would drive them nuts.

I know, I know 2 wrongs don't make a right, but I'd love to see BFD eat some of their own arrogance.
Doc

Good idea Stocdoctor :) Fight fire with fire

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's extremely unlikely BD wanted the name themselves to put thru a false transfer request. Many of you may forget BD is also a good size registry with many domains reg'd. I once had lots of names reg'd there several yrs ago. In all likelihood one of their customers put a transfer request thru their acct at buydomains.com.

peekaboo

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
buydomains is an evil empire, and evil empires do all sorts of things. by far they r the worst and most unprofessional large domain company around.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
producer said:
buydomains is an evil empire, and evil empires do all sorts of things. by far they r the worst and most unprofessional large domain company around.

Stand by what I said and would be willing to money BD themselves did not fraudulently put thru that false transfer request. I believe BuyDomains is more reputable than some of you are saying. Just my 2 cents.

TopNames.com

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
After a few emails with Dan at BuyDomains, it seems the transfer was started by a customer. They should have told me this from the start rather than saying:

"If you do not wish to transfer to us then disregard the email we sent. Nothing can be done to your domain without your consent."

Anyway, it's been cleared up and BuyDomains seems to have handeled the problem.

deepstar

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm with realnames. I am guessing one of their members made the request as they have thousands of clients.

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes, most people don't like BD but they are a decent company and I have total confidence they wouldn't initiate a transfer on a name they wanted themselves..

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
same thing happened to me with register.com, with the exception that I got a daily reminder for it for every day for 30 days!
Apparently, one of their customers thought they can get a domain by placing a transfer request...

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
BFD's record as a registry is not the point here. Their arrogant and inconsiderate response is. From my own experience with them, it seems the status quo. Too bad they would rather take that road and lose respect.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NameTower said:
Yes, most people don't like BD......

Likely the reason BD is 'disliked' is because they are so amazingly successful in grabbing names. They likely can beat-out most anyone to a name if they are targeting it so naturally they are not too popular a firm.

cwsteam.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Keep your domains locked for transfer, i take this as a moral of this story/thread :)

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Generally, the #1 guy in every industry is disliked by their competitors.

And, we all agree that their inventory is excellent.

Do we call it "domain envy"?

My only complaint with BD is their pockets are deeper than mine! :-D

TopNames.com

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RealNames said:
Likely the reason BD is 'disliked' is because they are so amazingly successful in grabbing names. They likely can beat-out most anyone to a name if they are targeting it so naturally they are not too popular a firm.

Wrong...drop catching has nothing to do with the email trying to transfer my domain today....how did you put those two together? Besides I caught 2 of the last 3 three letter .coms that dropped. So I'm doing better than him at 3 letter .coms :)

actnow said:
Generally, the #1 guy in every industry is disliked by their competitors.

And, we all agree that their inventory is excellent.

Do we call it "domain envy"?

I would not say BD is the #1 guy. UltSearch, Telepathy and Elequa has the best quality domains IMO.

You guys have this all wrong. I don't dislike BuyDomains because they have nice domains...a lot of people have nice domains. I'm great friends with Elequa, Ult Search, Telepathy and they have some of the best domains around...much better then BuyDomains.

I just had a bad encounter with BD about a month ago when ENOM caught a domain and I won it in a Club Drop auction. The whois showed BD and not me. I called BD to see if we could put our heads together and see what happened, I got a "sue us if you don't like it" from Sylvia. All I was trying to do was get to the bottom of my missing domain. To make a long story short, DomainZoo went into my account and took my domain and moved it to BuyDomains account. It's that simple and which is why I'm a little leary of BD.

Then this email today about a transfer and when I write to them asking about it, I get that obtuse response.

A little professional courtesy goes a long way.

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As I read this thread, the incident has nothing to do with how successful BFD is at picking up names. Whoop de do. No matter how big their inventory is, they become very small when they treat other domainers with disregard. I've seen that attitude from them on a few occasions. I originally had respect for their initiative. If Mike can't get his shop in order and show respect for the rest of the domainers (no matter how big) he is not deserving of respect himself.

That is the point here.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
good we get more of an update on what happened with the domain in question through club drop?

I have also had bad encounters with BFD in the past. it has nothing to do with their domains, but with their quality and attitude which is at best direspectful.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, BFD can be extremely rude. I once tried to buy a domain for over 2k with my cc and it didn't go through although there were more than sufficient funds. A week later, they raised the price to 7k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators