Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Warning - Domainspring Fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've been using Godaddy reseller Domainspring, and they have been catching dropped names for me.

They recently caught 2 names, and the names are in my account, but the WHOIS data shows another company - "Domains By Proxy" in Arizona. I thought this was a mistake -- the DomainSpring web screens show my contact, so I re-saved.... and nothing. The WHOIS data they are publishing to Afilias still shows someone else as the owner.

OK... I'm thinking technical error... NOPE! After 3 email exchanges with "support", they refuse to show me as the owner of the name, even thought I bought and paid for it.

In short: THEY ARE ASSISTING THE HIJACKER. All they have to do now is issue a transfer and confirm it (the admin email address is theirs, not mine) and the names are completely stolen.

I'll be talking to the lawyer in the morning, but in the interim BEWARE that Domainspring is actually assisting a hijacking, and refusing to help the real owner.

Domainut

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"Domains By Proxy" in Arizona is generally wildwest domains/ godaddy.

The service generally sells for $8.95 a year and should be labeled

Private Registrations - Protect yourself from spam, scams, prying eyes and worse. Just $8.95/yr!

Not knowing for sure, but it looks to me like 2 things could have happened.

1: You were charged for the private registration when you ordered the backorder and it kicked in automatically upon regstration.

2: You got an extra free service "Private Registration" for free.

I'd still check into it if you are worried, but that's how it looks to me.

JMO
Sid

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Domainut -

Thanks for the reply, but neither of those scenarios is true. I never heard of this "service" before, never paid for it, and I have no "private registration" because that would imply I have some control of the name, which I don't.

This is simply a hijacking of 2 domain names, assisted by Domainspring "customer service".

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Did you talk to GoDaddy's legal department?

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GeorgeK said:
Did you talk to GoDaddy's legal department?

They'll be getting a very angry phone call in the morning, along with several emails and faxes.

eSology

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I hope it all works out for you. From my experience GoDaddy is horrible when it comes to domain theft/recovery.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
These people are incredable! They are trying to sell me 'services' instead of stopping 2 hijackings!!

Got this this morning:

Discussion Thread
Response (ROBERT P.)02/24/2005 04:07 AM
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for contacting customer support.

It appears you've ordered privacy on your domain name, to prevent your personal information from being displayed in WHOIS databases. To accomplish this while remaining compliant with ICANN regulations, the Domains by Proxy service (through whom the privacy is purchased/performed) enters its WHOIS information in place of your own. I hope I've cleared up any confusion regarding this matter. If you remain uncomfortable with this arrangement, you may cancel your Domains by Proxy domain privacy service at any time. To cancel products and services, follow the instructions below.

First, log into the 'Payment Information' section of your account:

• Go to our homepage.
• Select 'Login' from the 'Manage' drop-down menu in the upper right corner of the page.
• Log in using your account username (which may be the same as your customer number) and password.

If you have trouble logging in, our password reset form may help you. You can find this form by selecting 'Password Recovery' from the 'Manage' drop-down menu in the upper right corner of the page.

Once logged in just follow these steps:

• Select 'View All Renewing Items'
• Check the box next to the item(s) you would like to cancel and click on the 'Cancel Account' link
• Select 'Cancel Now' or 'Cancel at Expiration Date'
• Click on 'Save Changes'

Be sure to log out when you are finished.

*Canceling now will immediately remove the service from your account. If you choose to ‘Cancel at Expiration Date’ the service will remain active until the date specified and will not be renewed.

Regards,

Bob P.
Customer Service
DomainSpring
480-624-2500

My response:

1) There is no "view all renewing items" on ANY of my screens.

2) I have NEVER order any "privacy product"! How many times does this have to be repeated???

3) These domain names have been HIJACKED. They were purchased by me and ARE NO LONGER UNDER MY CONTROL. I WANT THEM BACK. Stop trying to upsell sell me with "privacy services", and RETURN THIS NAME FROM THE HIJACKER!

4) Is there ANY part of item #3 you do not understand?

Still no reply from DomainSpring. I guess they have better things to do than stop a hijacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom