Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Warning - New Bagle Worm Virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A new variant of the Bagle e-mail worm has been spreading quickly on the Internet since Monday. It's called W32/Bagle.aq@MM and it infects your PC by fooling you into opening a ZIP-file email attachment.

Both the name of the attachment and the body of the message are a variant on "price" or "new price."

So don't open any ZIP files that you receive by email unless you are certain of what they contain!

domnet

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I got an e-mail from someone with this virus. I didn't open it because I knew that the person sending it knew nothing about zipping a file. Does this mean their computer is infected, because apparently it sent it to everyone in their address book?

darrenl

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information!

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
domnet said:
I got an e-mail from someone with this virus. I didn't open it because I knew that the person sending it knew nothing about zipping a file. Does this mean their computer is infected, because apparently it sent it to everyone in their address book?

Most likely!

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If it appears that person "A" sent Person "B" the zip file. And, "C", "D", etc.

Person "A" might not be the sender. It could have been person "X" that has
"A", "B", "C", "D", etc. in their address book.

It is a common problem when someone is a member of organization, club, company,
etc.

Then, Person "C" opens it and everyone in "his" address book gets the zip file. But, it
might be "addressed" from Person "B".

So, when I receive one of these attachment emails. I realize the sender is probably the innocent bystander.

I just delete them. And, forget about it.

However, I constantly keep my McAfee virus scan up to date. I check for updates
every 48 hrs.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
actnow said:
Then, Person "C" opens it and everyone in "his" address book gets the zip file. But, it
might be "addressed" from Person "B".

True, however if a virus is able to send an email to every contact in my address book then my PC is infected.

As I read the question every contact in the users address book was sent the virus so either he originated it or his PC was unprotected and so got infected and sent out the emails - hence the answer to the question is "Yes his PC is infected".
The chances of two people having exactly the same contacts in their address book AND the headers being suitably forged in order to create the impression of coming from a different source, has to be remote IMO.
However easy test is did the person have up-to-date email virus protection active at the times the emails were exchanged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom