Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

moniker WARNING: Privacy whois Issues and failures at Moniker.com (keydrive) ... AGAIN!

This is a discussion about the domain name register/company Moniker.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is a recurring problem at moniker.com
something which hasn't happened for a while but has happened to many people in the past

I am posting this thread as a warning and heads up to fellow DOMAINERS who may be thinking of registering domains and paying for whois privacy and expecting their system to work
It doesn't
before any moniker 'reps' start crying and compaining saying pm me (people like mr.maurellio who want everything swept under the carpet and out the public domains rather than addressing issues and fixing them and wanting to help paying clients)
screw with domainers and we will out your failures!
I have submitted tickets to the support section (which has finally been fixed) as is due process
I await an apology, a promise that it is being fixed and won't happen again and some adequate compensation
as promised I am also taking it to keydrive Craig Snyder, Vice President

as if he isn't aware of all the cockups on his watch he is going to be.
he doesn't deserve a job from where I'm standing

the first failure was today, monikers system is so slow and lagging that some whois services like domaintools pick up your details before the moniker whois privacy is applied, which isn't much good if for example you wanted to do a politically orientated blog and keep your privacy for example!
eventually it got added

however i went back and a few days back had paid for 2 domains and privacy (only becuase cheaper than godaddy as trying to avoid moniker like grim death) and invoice said success and money taken
no privacy whois on either domain when I checked today

it's bloody outrageous, moniker and keydrive KEEP FAILING and I keep having to waste my time with them

public promise to never register another domain with moniker. I bloody mean this

anyways, hope this has helped any domainers thinking of registering domains at moniker and saved you time, money and hassle if hoping for privacy

USE GODADDY!

Last edited:
Domain summit 2024

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
WHOIS protection is free on Fabulous.com (you can turn it on/off as you wish.)

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Another thing I dislike about their privacy is the terms in which they can release the info to any party with any claim.

Their message landed in my spam box and by time I saw it, the party knew who owned the domain. It was pointless to renew privacy after that point.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For a company named after:

moniker[ mon-i-ker ]
noun Slang.
1. a person's name, especially a nickname or alias.

I was furious at them releasing my info when I paid for protection without an order to do so.

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Go Daddy certainly does that too. Since there's no official form for a C & D, practically anyone (some lying scammer) can write a note to GD saying you're violating his rights and challenging your domain ownership. GD is well known for this, and on top of that they'll penalize you with a $20 fine (penalize YOU, the aggrieved party, their own customer) for this "service". I should post here emails from assholes who supposedly hold JDs at GD Legal, sounding in awe of the claimant's assertion and respecting a lying bastard a lot more than me who spent thousands and thousands over the years using all their "services". I can refer you to a thread right here when for the 1st time ever someone made a claim I was violating "something" of his, except to this date he will not reveal what it was that I was violating. And, that's right, he contacted GD Legal and told them this same story w/o naming any domain or mark, and without even asking him what the TM, domain or business mark it was, GD emailed me practically accusing me and siding with the scammer, telling me about a legal issue with "one of my domains". And that I was totally on my own and to answer "the claim" sending them a copy so I'd be exonerating them. Unbelievable, isn't it ? ......But I have the email trail to prove it. So, who's the real scumbag ?..... we could debate that lol.....

I didn't know Moniker did this. Chef Patrick was infamously fired from Moniker for divulging the WHOIS protected info and violating privacy on a domain as I recall reading, and he should have been. I don't know if David's case involved some pseudo "C & D" and/or if the claim they made even passed the laugh test. So if Moniker violated your rights w/o a legitimate cause it is not the only registrar who does this to customers by any means
:der:

.......I was furious at them releasing my info when I paid for protection without an order to do so.

And Pred, be careful what you wish for. Clearly you made up your mind Moniker is not for you and that's for you to decide and for Moniker to respect. But when you finally have all those names at Go Daddy let's hope you spend $4K/yr or more so you can have a decent person as your Premier Gold rep who'll help you fight your fights and can look after your interests. Go Daddy, the corporate entity, will not. Take it from me, there cannot be a better example of how GD bites the hand that feeds them
:rant:

.....hope this has helped any domainers thinking of registering domains at moniker and saved you time, money and hassle if hoping for privacy
USE GODADDY!

Last edited:

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's a (TM)sucks.com domain where the company's legal counsel contacted Moniker for the whois. However, it's fair use of the TM and is not bias as even employees of the company have posted their side and has been rebutted by other customers.

The lawyer is smart enough to know he has no case, but wanted the info in order to compile a NDA for my last paycheck (don't discuss the inner workings of the company [personally], etc.). However, there are insiders of the company providing information, not me, so I'm not in violation of the NDA.

If Moniker knew anything about TM fair use, they would have stopped at (TM)sucks and proceeded to investigate before divulging the whois as I paid for protection.

It's simple as a 2 sentence email to Moniker to release info within 5 days if no reply from the owner. Though, they don't take factors such as it landing in the spam folder, vacation, etc. into account before they release it. How about snail mail, it's only 48 cents? How about a phone call? No. It's easier for an email that can get lost within 1000s of emails about domains.

Moniker said:
If this matter is not addressed within 5 days, we
will be forced to remove privacy from the domain
and reveal the default contact information to the
complainant.

Who's forcing them? There's no C&D. Why 5 days? Why email warning only?

Last edited:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
So was the privacy issue resolved?

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So was the privacy issue resolved?

no
and zero answer from moniker 'support'

their system is ****ed and their 'support' and no personal reps due to cutbacks

basically keydrive bought a shit company on the cheap and cheapened it further
with any luck keydrive go under and all staff are sacked, Monte buys on the cheap and we can return to the good days

shit companies deserve to hit the rocks and burn
I just need to transfer all my domains away before that happens

oh, wait, they screw up transfer outs too as discussed in the other thread

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My advice is not the use privacy services offered by your registrar, that includes nodaddy.
Also avoid third party services run by faceless people you know nothing about.
In fact you can set up your own privacy yourself, a P.O. box and VOIP number is a good start and the domains should preferably be owned by a corporation that will survive your death or unexpected events.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
privacy...moniker...hmm. Wasn't there a story not too long ago regarding an employee at moniker snooping into someone's privacy? And when the breached party notified moniker nothing was done until that party said it would expose the individual and moniker?

hmm...any other huge "non-surprises" turning up in the domain industry?

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
update, they got back late yesteray
I didn't get an email notification automatically, you must have to login and manually check
they just said they tried to ring also and I would have to login and reenable contacts wih privacy
so they are too idle to do for me? and dont see the neccessity of speed and that shouldnt happen

not even refunding fees or regfees would be a start, my time is worth 100 times this but on principle
anyway I will do my best to lose them tens of thousands minimum, and I give them a chunk of that every year and for many years
thats ending

either way same issues for years at this stinkhole
monday I email craig snyder with all my concerns and point him to all the threads basically stating that moniker is not fit for purpose and therefore neither is he

Deleted member 5660

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
privacy services are useless, you need to do it yourself. if you use those services after all these years of everyone knowing they don't work then it is your fault. If you use Godaddy and something goes wrong, again, it is your fault because everybody knows all the problem they have with their legal department.

A PO Box does not do much good either because anyone can get that info via a FOIA request if you use it for business purposes.

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
privacy services are useless, you need to do it yourself. if you use those services after all these years of everyone knowing they don't work then it is your fault. If you use Godaddy and something goes wrong, again, it is your fault because everybody knows all the problem they have with their legal department.

A PO Box does not do much good either because anyone can get that info via a FOIA request if you use it for business purposes.

ok agreed
free is good and if the tards cant even implement when we're paying screw them

please xplain how we diy it effectively
thanks

Martij

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
We are happy to look into this issue and get it corrected. We will update you through your email address on your account.

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Keyword Factory, I guess I'm guilty like you said, of some things, like for stickin with Yo Daddy too long, but some of us don't have the money to have a massive transfer outta there so I have to do it gradually. Another thing is that there isn't one clear competitor who's superior to GD in all aspects I care about, hard to believe but there really isn't, not even Fabulous, that godsend ....LMAO. So I have to pick a few others giving each some domains depending of what the needs are LMAO....frustrating. I thought the main problem w/GD privacy these days was that it's expensive. But I knew for a fact in the past they've disclosed your private info to potential buyers who simply call. They used to give out your full name, ph # and email address, at least that much. I haven't heard of this happening more recently, though...

As for GD Legal, that unit which is run by both retards and thieves, I wasn't aware they were such dirtbags. It was my 1st TM threat ever (only he never revealed what his domain/mark was, he was lying all the way) but I knew enough to know that for any registrar to take a "challenger" seriously he had to produce the domain/mark I was violating as a first step. But he never did. Not to me and not to GD. Go Daddy (the retard who took his claim seriously and emailed me has a JD....) sent me the form which follows a C & D, the part where the domain is named was left blank, and the wording he used in that email was respectful of their new "client" (the mofo who had been lying and threatening me, who even mentioned he had never used any GD services btw....) and spoke to me like I was the scumbag, and that it was my duty to leave GD out of that legal matter. I simply could not believe it, and if I told this to anyone who knows anything about jurisprudence they'd think I'm pullin their dicks. And to fukc their own clients even more they charge $20 for the "service" of "responding" to a C & D. Or anything that looks like it, even when the claimant is clearly a boldface fukcing liar.... and, there's more... Had the asshole actually owned a mark and taken me to WIPO/NAF Go Daddy would have made an additional $50 for just 'receiving' a UDRP... (total profit of $70 out of their own client's misfortune, I have that $70 in cc charges for the 2nd time I had a TM issue, that one went to UDRP, and YoDaddy refuses to refund me even part of that.... aren't registrars great businessmen !!)

privacy services are useless, you need to do it yourself. if you use those services after all these years of everyone knowing they don't work then it is your fault. If you use Godaddy and something goes wrong, again, it is your fault because everybody knows all the problem they have with their legal department. A PO Box does not do much good either because anyone can get that info via a FOIA request if you use it for business purposes.

As to not be unfair to Moniker afa my own acct goes, what Pred described w/regard to Moniker's privacy system did happen to me a few times but it was long ago, more recently my privacy has always kicked in immediately. The thing is, many users may never check the WHOIS, or may not notice privacy is not activated in their CP at Moniker. If so, that's $4 down the drain. In my case the 1st time this occurred I had no reason to doubt I'd be gettin the privacy I added, then I saw in my CP that domain didn't have such privacy added right away. The trick is to always check, and if it's not activated to do it manually, it must be a software malfunction some of the time.... but I appreciate MartiJ's post and his coming fwd about this...

ok agreed
free is good and if the tards cant even implement when we're paying screw them
please xplain how we diy it effectively
thanks

Last edited:

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sorry, David, I must be slow ...but it's an interesting comment and this can happen to any of us, I just don't follow this quoted part.... the lawyer on the other side filed a Non-Disclosure Agreement for your last paycheck ?... your salary ? are they trying to garnish your wages ? lol ...or did they just want the info about you contained in that paycheck ? (which Moniker had already disclosed to them when they revealed your private WHOIS info anyway).... or is it the paycheck the monetization service sends you as domain earnings ?... putting a hold on that one would not be as bad...... And what's the purpose of drafting an NDA on their part to begin with, when they're the ones who decided to go after you ? I mean, they did that but wanna keep it a secret ?...lol... if so, they're even bigger assholes (....they already were for any of what they've been doing since they don't seem to have a real case)

.....The lawyer is smart enough to know he has no case, but wanted the info in order to compile a NDA for my last paycheck (don't discuss the inner workings of the company [personally], etc.). However, there are insiders of the company providing information, not me, so I'm not in violation of the NDA......

Last edited:

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Apparently, there was a small subsection in my at will employment contract that all future earnings on commissions would be given to a different sales agent. I fought that part and that's when (TM)sucks came to light. They drafted a NDA for a lower than expected figure so nothing else would be exposed. On the NDA, I underlined sections stating information has already been released. The regional manager wasn't too pleased and copied another one out for me to sign. Both were submitted to the legal counsel. They offered me $10,000 at first to pull it down, but it's priceless in my eyes and accepting that money would ultimately be defeat.

To be an ass, since they made me fight 4 months for my earnings, I made them split my final check into a check in which I ensured cleared and gift cards that I verified the prices before signing the NDA.

To get back to topic though, I was mad at Moniker releasing it. I never renewed privacy and it's a PR0 site that's right below their PR6 corporate site. That's what the director of marketing gets for asking for tips from all sales agents how to boost ratings and traffic that he stole from me (expected a job offer). ;)

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I want to stress that privacy is not the same as anonymity.
Privacy means your details are not immediately available to anybody who bothers to look. But somebody who is determined or has time to waste can usually find out who you are with little effort.

As said earlier, third party privacy services are helpless but what do you expect for $10/year ? Client-attorney privilege ? They will not take the heat or entertain legal threats just to protect your privacy.
Making threats goes a long toward blowing the privacy scheme you've put in place - the dog doesn't have to bite, just barking loud enough will do.

In case a WIPO is filed against you, whois privacy won't help either because the registrar will have to confirm the identity of the account holder - and also who has been paying the registration and renewal bills so faking the whois will not help. All that info will be passed on to the panel and published online in the resulting ruling.
In the WIPO rulings you see many registrants exposed, who thought they were safe and could hide.

If you want true anonymity, the bare minimum would be an offshore structure with nominees or something like that. In fact it's not enough, you need to secure the full chain. For example, if you host other sites on the same server, somebody will find out and connect the dots.

In this day and age, privacy AND anonymity are luxuries that are increasingly unaffordable.
You (almost) always get what you paid for.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with you about my case Katherine, but they should call and email regarding the issue. They could also expand the deadline to respond back. In my case, if the email wasn't lost, it would have taken a lot more to get the info.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I want to stress that privacy is not the same as anonymity.

Great point. And just remember that both privacy and anonymity are terminated when you file a lawsuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators