Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

appraise Was owned by Bill Gates / Microsoft, curious about the value

This thread is an appraisal of the domain name requested.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bderond

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am currently the owner of the domain name WindowsLogo.com, which was previously owned by Microsoft. Estibot put the value around 11.000 USD, but I am not quite sure if that is correct (maybe higher/lower). It is a time-less domain, as long as Windows is out there, this domain contains pretty good value I think.

Domain: WindowsLogo.com
Searches: 450.000 monthly (broad)

Domain summit 2024

gilescoley

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is trademarked name, Microsoft can take it from you any time they want.

Just get rid of it, its really not worth the hassle. Did you honestly think its ok to own a name like this. Its like owning ToyotaCars.com...you just cant infringe on someones trademark

Rule #1 of Domaining: Never use Estibot for appraisals

bderond

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks, but as long as it takes, I can generate traffic with this domain, right?
And earn money with it..

ravdn

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Not sure, may be trademark infringement.

gilescoley

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No you cant..making any money from indicates bad faith and gives them a reason to come after you

Just delete it..No one will touch the name anyway..It's also frowned upon in domaining circles and this is what gives us domainers the squatter label

"Windows" is a TM..have a look at uspto.gov

bderond

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

gilescoley

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
How else would you describe someone sitting on a trademarked name with Microsoft logos on the homepage..cmon seriously??
If you designed logos to put on car windows, then you would be ok, but you have made your intent very clear on the homepage
Anyway, good luck with..You will learn the hard way...Could you mess with a bigger fish ☺

bderond

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Well it's not that I am hunting for brandnames and to take them. I am a rookie in the domainname business, a developer for a long time, but new in this business. I just want to earn an extra buck by doing this. And I already sold a few this year.. not super much profit, but a couple of thousands of dollars since January.

On a daily basis I browse lists of domains that are available on the market again so I thought I had a good one. But in fact.. its not :(
I think I will face a similar situation with AudiOccassions.com? lol

Josh NZ

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The issue is you're infringing on their trademark. Using their logos on the site is even worse and is the polar opposite of what you need to do to keep this domain.

When they come after you (and they will if you look to be making money or hitting search rankings) you will need to prove you have a realistic use for the name, such as outlined above 'logos for car windows' or some window sign writing business.

What you've got at the moment is a trademarked name and trademarked logo that you have no right to use. While you might have control of the name it won't be yours for long if you think trademark infringement and domain squatting aren't your problem.

Yes, AudiOccassions is the same. You say you're a rookie domainer and those 2 domains prove it. Never buy domains with trademarks in them.

Estibot automatic valuation might be saying $11,000 but real people who buy domains (like us folk on this forum) are valuing it, correctly, at $0.

Sorry for sounding harsh, but it's better (and cheaper) to read this in a forum post than a solicitors letter.

bderond

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks everybody.. So even if I put different content on it, like logo's for carwindows (example), then still the domain dont have a lot of value? Well at least not above 500 USD? Because I can not imagine that people look for "logo on a window" on the search-engines.

Josh NZ

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Different content is a good start. It's about showing you've got a legitimate purpose for the domain outside of 'squatting' on their trademark.

For the value, unfortunately it is going to be low as nobody is going to want to invest in a domain with a trademark, it's just not worth the risk. I couldn't give you an appraisal though.

bderond

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Okay thank you Josh, and everybody as well. :)

blade0817

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Actually if you use it for advertising actual windows, not anything related to Windows trademark of Microsoft, they can't say a word. Windows is a generic word and can be used as long as it is not referencing to the Microsoft product. So you should be safe with it if you're smart about using it.

sitemaker

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Basically, you have to have a reasonable business use for the word "windows", unrelated to Microsoft's product AND unable to be confused by consumers with Microsoft's product. In a perfect world, your own last name is Windows and your business is graphic design.

blade0817

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Basically, you have to have a reasonable business use for the word "windows", unrelated to Microsoft's product AND unable to be confused by consumers with Microsoft's product. In a perfect world, your own last name is Windows and your business is graphic design.
And even that is risky. Just look what's been happening with Nissan.com which was first obtained in 1995 or so by a man whose last name is Nissan AND started a business with his name 'Nissan Computers' hosting a website there. Years later the Japanese car company Datsun changes their name to Nissan and start battling that poor man for the Nissan.com domain name. It is still going on even today when they have lost every lawsuit against him. Apparently now Nissan Motors wants to start a division that deals with computers to have their suits a better base to stand on. it's just a shame how they torture one person for so many years even when they have lost every single case against him.

Mr. Deleted

DNForum.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
And even that is risky. Just look what's been happening with Nissan.com which was first obtained in 1995 or so by a man whose last name is Nissan AND started a business with his name 'Nissan Computers' hosting a website there. Years later the Japanese car company Datsun changes their name to Nissan and start battling that poor man for the Nissan.com domain name. It is still going on even today when they have lost every lawsuit against him. Apparently now Nissan Motors wants to start a division that deals with computers to have their suits a better base to stand on. it's just a shame how they torture one person for so many years even when they have lost every single case against him.
Ya, Mr. Nissan has had quite a battle, and they wanted to make it so he could not talk about it on the web (see Digest.com). Similar to the guy that registered that mall name, and set up a non-profit website, and then later ended up having to fight them, and they wanted to stop him from talking about it on the "sucks.com" sites he set up (WillowBendSucks.com etc.).

blade0817

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Just a shame when big corporations think they have the right for everything they desire. Fortunately there ARE still laws protecting just people and not money.

Mr. Deleted

DNForum.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
BTW, the guy in the video above is currently going through something kind of similar to the trademark issue, this time Schoolastic is trying to cancel his "XBook" trademark so they can get one for "Xbooks". he is now blogging about it at xbookfiles.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators