Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

news Was there a Hack/Data Breach at Epik?

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There is a news story circulating that Epik may have had a massive data breach from a group of Anonymous hackers.

I hope there is no truth to these claims as from what I can see they are from a radical journalist on Twitter.

However, has there been a Hack/Data Breach at Epik? If yes, what steps are being taken? If no, I hope the authorities are notified.

I thought this the best place to ask.

Domain summit 2024

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
@Neoget Major domain news website from Twitter.

The journalist making the claim doesn't seem on the up and up though.

MapleDots

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

A group says it has hacked domain name registrar Epik and released a trove of data online.

A posting (see PDF version) claims that the hackers gained access to data about all domain purchases, transfers, all Whois history (unredacted), all email forwards, account credentials for customers, internal systems, and a lot more.

I have not independently verified the veracity of the claims, nor reviewed the large file the hackers released. I reached out to Epik CEO Rob Monster this morning to ask for a comment but did not immediately hear back. At the time of publishing, Epik has not posted anything to its blog, news page, or official twitter account regarding the apparent incident.

However, Monster responded to one of the people who tweeted about the hack yesterday, linking to a domain registered at Epik that says negative things about the person who posted the link. The tweet states, “Chad – I know that you are keen to get a client of Epik to take down a damning URL that does not reveal your highest self. I try hard to give everyone the benefit of the doubt but your latest tactic needs to stop right now.”

Read more
https://domainnamewire.com/2021/09/14/hackers-claim-significant-epik-breach

MapleDots

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Not good for the industry as a whole

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
@MapleDots I would encourage you not to post entire articles only excerpts. It upsets people that work hard on writing.

Last edited:

MapleDots

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I posted a link and only part of the article in the form of a quote.

As for the PDF...

The PDF was released by the hacker themselves and public property but I have no problems with mods changing it if needed.

That said, it is all public at this point.

MapleDots

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
And just so you know, I think this is a travesty and I side 100% with Rob on this.

It hurts our industry as a whole and we need to stop the idiots doing that.

kwng

Level 1
Reaction score
There is a news story circulating that Epik may have had a massive data breach from a group of Anonymous hackers.

I hope there is no truth to these claims as from what I can see they are from a radical journalist on Twitter.

However, has there been a Hack/Data Breach at Epik? If yes, what steps are being taken? If no, I hope the authorities are notified.

I thought this the best place to ask.
Thanks for that. Either way I'll remain a customer with epik.

MapleDots

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
The thing you have to remember is the hacker groups can take down most any business if they want. They purposely singled out Epik and that has nothing to do with the quality of epik services, most anyone can get hacked if they get targeted hard enough.

Epik will only emerge stronger, with stronger security, and if I know Rob at all he will never cave to such shenanigan's.

Neoget

Level 5
Reaction score
This is for sure someone angry at Epik and decided to damage their reputation, I know that CIA, FBI and all the other Pentagon organizations have such tools which can bypass anything, so it would not be surprise to me that they are behind such hackers as Anonimous and other organizations.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I posted a link and only part of the article in the form of a quote.

As for the PDF...

The PDF was released by the hacker themselves and public property but I have no problems with mods changing it if needed.

That said, it is all public at this point.
You are right you did not post the entire article, it was a lot though.

I used to help run an online magazine. Ot would annoy us when people posted our entire articles on forums or Reddit with links. We didn't get any clicks.

The PDF is separate.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is for sure someone angry at Epik and decided to damage their reputation, I know that CIA, FBI and all the other Pentagon organizations have such tools which can bypass anything, so it would not be surprise to me that they are behind such hackers as Anonimous and other organizations.

Those tools leak.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Kind of odd that Chad doesn't go out of his way to say who (if anyone) initiated the hack.

With his carefully selected wording, he wants the audience led to believe that it was Anonymous the group. This would be big if it did happen and was them, right? However, for the most part, Anons carry this philosophy:
Broadly speaking, Anons oppose Internet censorship and control and the majority of their actions target governments, organizations, and corporations that they accuse of censorship.
Source: Wikipedia

If you know anything about Epik, you would know that it would likely never be a target of Anonymous out of all the domain registrars. With recent events, you probably could take an educated guess on which one would be—but I do not hope that ever be the case, for the privacy of customers and I wish no ill will on anyone.

Sounds like Chad is trying to be dishonest to drum up unwarranted fear...

DomainsGENERAL.com

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
To me, this seems probably false and is just some (baseless) despicable denigrating (I also hope so, TBH).
"Hackers on estradiol"!? Lol, seriously? ;)
Someone don't seem to understand very well what they're writing, there. Probably too occupied to think about the "nazi" and "hitler" dumb references. Yeah, "think" may not be the correct word, though.

By doing a search on "hackers on estradiol", it seems to be a SONG. But no hacking group seem to go by that nickname (and I wouldn't see a lot of people with a brain choosing that....)

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators